Braided line on my spinning reel giving me fits!

ASH556

Hey guys, I just came back from a great weekend down on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. My sister and her husband live in Hattiesburg, which is about 2 hrs from the coast. We went down this weekend to do a little Speckled Trout fishing. Now, a couple years back I got Steve Broadwell to build me this fantastic rod to go with my Penn spinning reel that my grandpa gave me. The 7ft rod is built on a popping blank and has a nice soft tip so you can sling a light jig a long way.

Anyhow, I've been running 20lb braid on this setup ever since I got it. It's not been right since day 1!!!:banginghe

That stupid braided line gets all twisted up and then makes a knot (you know, where it's like 3 strands of line coming off the spool at once). I cut 3 knots out of my line in about 6 hrs of fishing. I even tried a small barrel swivel between the braid and the mono leader in case the jigs were spinning and causing the line to twist. This seemed to help a little as I was able to finish the day without any more issues, but first thing the next morning, there it was again, the biggest twisted line birdsnest I've ever seen!!!:banginghe

I've read on here that a lot of you use braid on your spinning reels and I have to say that I appreciate the sensitivity it affords me, but not at the cost of fighting the twists and tangles all day.

What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

(and some Specks in the cooler 'cause I know y'all will ask ;) )

20121020_093905.jpg

The reel in question:

20121020_095443.jpg

Last edited:

Gregin30052

You and me both. I went back to 100% FC on the whole spool. I'd rather pay more and have less frustrations.....and your line is only as strong as the weakest point. (the knots generally).

geaux-fish

OK first check the line roller, on the older Penns their was no roller just a guide( not good for braid ) if it does have a roller, D&A it and lube. After, let all the line out back of the boat and reel back in to remove any twist in the line.
Good luck, luv me some specs and reds.

tkaz

What braid are you using? I agree with the above post that the older reel might not be well suited for braid. I perfer Sufix braid(Performance Braid & 832) it holds up great, cast great, and not super expensive. I have also tried the Seguar Kanzen(expensive) but worked very well and the diameter is the smallest of any braid I have seen and out cast any I have used. Both of these braids are round which is why I choose to use them. I also dont mind the price since I only change it out about every two years.

ASH556

What braid are you using? I agree with the above post that the older reel might not be well suited for braid. I perfer Sufix braid(Performance Braid & 832) it holds up great, cast great, and not super expensive. I have also tried the Seguar Kanzen(expensive) but worked very well and the diameter is the smallest of any braid I have seen and out cast any I have used. Both of these braids are round which is why I choose to use them. I also dont mind the price since I only change it out about every two years.

I have only used 20lb Power Pro. What I was using was the second spool (thought maybe the issues with the first spool were a fluke).

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I've used powerpro on my spinning reels for well over 10 years and haven't have any issues at all.
Unlike you, I hate flouro on my spinners because it's so stiff.

I don't know what your problem could be.

grim

Moderate Anarchist and Retired Mod
I have significant issues on my stradics with powerpro with this twisting. It happens with swivels or without. I have been told to manually close the bale to keep it from happening with no improvement.

So far, I dont have an answer. The line simply gets too twisted. I will cut off the lure and run line out behind the boat when idling to untwist, but that really hasnt solved the problem. I have gone back to mono for all the rods I cast often.

ASH556

Yeah, I always close the bails on all my spinning reels by hand, so that shouldn't be an issue for me.

So I wonder if I should try a different brand of braid or just go back to straight mono?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I have significant issues on my stradics with powerpro with this twisting. It happens with swivels or without. I have been told to manually close the bale to keep it from happening with no improvement.

So far, I dont have an answer. The line simply gets too twisted. I will cut off the lure and run line out behind the boat when idling to untwist, but that really hasnt solved the problem. I have gone back to mono for all the rods I cast often.

Isn't that odd? One of my reels is a stradic, and I never have problems except maybe a loop on the reel that causes some knotting. But that seldom happens.

I do always close the bail manually.

Eugene Stinson

My experence has been. When any braid gets a little age on it, it will get softer and limper. If you are winding your line back in with litttle weigh on it it doesn't have enough tension to keep it rolling under each rap. This can also be done if it is very windy. Also If you ever have a sudden stop of the bait, braid will dig into itself on the spool. The only problem I have ever had with line twist and braid is the line will rap around the last eye a time or two preventing you from reeling.

grim

Moderate Anarchist and Retired Mod
Isn't that odd? One of my reels is a stradic, and I never have problems except maybe a loop on the reel that causes some knotting. But that seldom happens.

I do always close the bail manually.

A lot may have to do with the lure you are using and how much it spins. When flats fishing, lead head jigs and spoons are bad about it, even with a swivel. Popping corks not so much. Bass fishing lures have less problems for me since most dont spin while being retrieved.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
A lot may have to do with the lure you are using and how much it spins. When flats fishing, lead head jigs and spoons are bad about it, even with a swivel. Popping corks not so much. Bass fishing lures have less problems for me since most dont spin while being retrieved.

You're probably right.
I mostly use spinning gear for lightweight worm fishing, with a widegap hook. I probably don't have a lot of chances for line twist. That wide gap hook acts as a rudder I suspect.

tkaz

Not sure about the lures you are using and line twist but I went to braid on the DS to prevent line twist. It was the best decision I have ever made. As for knots I agree knots are our weakest point. I have caught many 5lb+ spots and small mouth with 8lb fluoro to 10lb dia. braid. I would recommend trying one that is round. I have not tried it yet but I looked at a new braid made by SunLine that is also round. Once again these braids are on the expensive side but they tend to last.

Silver Bullet

1. Step up the braid. I throw 30# on my cork rod. I don't need it, but it's a little stiffer coming off the reel. Seems to keep me out of trouble. I'm throwing Power Pro and I love it.
2. Close the bail manually. Maintain tension while reeling.
3. Get a Shimano and don't overspool. I have fought both of my Penn's after I put braid on them. I have a 430 and a 6500. I couldn't keep line on the 430 and now I can't get my 6500 to lay line evenly. I have a 2500 Sedona that I picked from Wally World on the cheap. It's great. I love it.
4. Some days, you are going to fight wind knots. Don't get discouraged. It really can be great stuff.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Braid is much limper than flouro so probably more prone to line twist if your lure is going to tumble during the retrieve..... unless one moves up to heavier braided line.

wncslim

Sounds like you need to troll it to straighten it and then reel it in with pressure to pack it tight. Clients that don't manually close the bail and don't pay attention to just a small tick when casting end up with major tangles, but they are usually gotten out without cutting. Just listen for that initial tick of a small knot before it gets to be a mess. All I use is 10 and 15 powerpro for bass, stripers, reds and specks.

Lanierbass

I use 15lb Diawa samurai exclusively on spinning reels. Use to use Seagur Kanzen as well. No problems what so ever on light lures or drop shotting with 7lb Fluro leader. You do have to pay attention to limp soft braid that it doesn't get on top of the spool near drag adjustment. I've seen that cause knots if you crank it a few times before realizing it. But I would never go back to power pro or Fluro. Power pro not limp enough and doesn't cast well and Fluro is just a pain with the memory. My braid usually only gets respooled yearly. Hope that helps alittle.

Chris S.

I usually leave about 1/8 inch between the line level and top edge of the spool for spinning gear and match the line weight/diameter to the baits being thrown .......15 lb for spinning w/ braid is good line size for weightless worms,shakeyhead,flukes,dropshot, live bait rigging,free lining and gulp jigs and I double uni a fluoro leader to it about 3 feet long or more at times.

for larger topwater baits,popping corks, spoons,deep jigging I will obviously go up in line sz. both braid and leader with mono leader being used for topwater.

Twist is always a culprit for casting but I have found that small wind knots usually cause the bigger ratnests that come off with a cast....Most times you will hear/feel the little knot go out on the cast. Pay close attention to your line on the retrieve and if you see a small loop knot in your line you dont always have to cut it,just grab the main line tightly on both sides of the knot and pull apart and the knot will usually pop back out.this works well on coated braid but will work on most braids, you just have to pull the line harder.

As far as the large overrun knots that occur...having less line on spinning gear usually limits their occurrence....with braid you will have more yardage on the reel spool than you will with mono or flouro in the same test strength therefore you dont need to fill the reel to capacity to cast well or have adequate running line.

These are just some changes in my spinning setups that have helped me both in fresh and saltwater..

Attachments

• DSC01016.JPG
    DSC01016.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 605