Brand New Trad Shooter - Observations

HIGH COUNTRY

I believe that I have been shootinga about seven weeks or so, didnt shoot alot first few weeks but became almost daily and alot on weekends last few weeks.

Started with 35 lb limbs, went to 45 lb limbs this past weekend - prob went too far at once, but I have noticed that the release is much crisper with the heavier lbs so my shooting has actually improved quite a bit. I have been reducing my number of shots with the heavier poundage so I dont fatigue.

With history of rotator issues and age, I ordered a pair of 40 lb limbs yesterday - I think that I will shoot it more, and more gradually work with the 45 lb limbs.

My bow is an inexpensive Black Hunter recurve, it seems to be spitting them out suprisingly fast to me and I have been compound only bowhunter the last two plus decades. When I buy a better more expensive bow, will I see a difference in shootability or speed such as with a custom takedown?

Man, this stuff is addictive - I want to stay home from work and shoot my bow!!! Ha...

Dennis

You might see a difference its hard to tell. With a custom you do get choices with grips, bow length and such. Some may be much faster but ive noticed the very fastest bows ive shot where not very forgiving. Also you can get choices of woods, glass or carbon in a custom. Plus there are different bow designs too . Be real careful before you know it you will have a bunce of different bows :)

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’m not an advocate of the thought process of speed kills. A well tuned 40# bow with a sharp broadhead will kill a deer or hog just as dead as a state of the art compound bow. Learn your bow and just enjoy the simplicity of the bow.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m not an advocate of the thought process of speed kills. A well tuned 40# bow with a sharp broadhead will kill a deer or hog just as dead as a state of the art compound bow. Learn your bow and just enjoy the simplicity of the bow.
I am a firm believer that heavy arrows are better than faster arrows.

splatek

UAEC
Just my novice two cents:

Heavy arrow shoot perfectly in the kill zone > faster arrow

Also I’ve killed three deer and two bears with a black hunter. Perfect arrow flight and razor sharp broadheads

I spend as much or more on my arrows as my bow Cost it’s the arrow that does the killing

HIGH COUNTRY

Ha - Thats funny on the bows, been in it seven weeks and about to have two bows.

Question - My current arrows are relatively short, I can feel the backside of the broadhead at full draw (not sharp side). I saw a you tube where guy said that was another way of making sure you were at full draw and not relaxing. I totally understand teh accuracy not speed thing with trad, I actually hunted with heavier arrows with my compound. So as long as the arrow is flying good, am I making a mistake in any way not to have more overhang past riser?

I was pleasantly surprised that the arrow with a trad cut on impact broadhead would fly as good as it was, I always had trouble younger teenage years playing with a recurve to get them to shoot right, and same with a compound...

I really appreciate the tips and guidance, I want to get through that hard initial learning curve as quicklky as possible.

Dennis

Having the back of the broadhead touching your fingers is ok if your getting to full draw. Some people draw the arrow back untill the feathers touch your nose i kinda like that because it puts your head position in the same place every time. It really dont matter just find something that works for you and is repeatable under pressure. Just have fun

splatek

UAEC
Ha - Thats funny on the bows, been in it seven weeks and about to have two bows.

Question - My current arrows are relatively short, I can feel the backside of the broadhead at full draw (not sharp side). I saw a you tube where guy said that was another way of making sure you were at full draw and not relaxing. I totally understand teh accuracy not speed thing with trad, I actually hunted with heavier arrows with my compound. So as long as the arrow is flying good, am I making a mistake in any way not to have more overhang past riser?

I was pleasantly surprised that the arrow with a trad cut on impact broadhead would fly as good as it was, I always had trouble younger teenage years playing with a recurve to get them to shoot right, and same with a compound...

I really appreciate the tips and guidance, I want to get through that hard initial learning curve as quicklky as possible.
Don’t rush the journey. You’re liable to miss something along the way

HIGH COUNTRY

Good points - Thank you!!!

Ive given my new HHA sight to my grandson and my Scott release, and my compound - So I am whole hog into this, no pun intended... I really believe I will be ready by mid sept to early october time frame, actually believe I could nail one today after six weeks - fifteen yards and in. Real life, though with excitement - I may be surprised! I have found that I enjoy shooting a 3d target with recurve alot more than shooting dots on a block target, but I was that way with a compound also -m just more so with recurve.

trad bow

Shooting foam is fun to a point. I prefer to walk through the woods shooting at pine cones, mushrooms or many other objects to shoot at with a blunt tipped arrow at unknown distances.

Dennis

What Trad bow said get you a blunt or a judo head and walk around the yard or woods and just shoot at different things. Also one of the best practice advice ive ever gotten is dont take more than 1 arrow to practice with. When you hunting or shooting 3D you only get one shot. Shoot that arrow and go get it out of the target and walk to a different spot and shoot again. But the blunt and judo is more fun especially if you have a friend to shoot with. One picks a target both shoot at it the one who comes closest get to pick the next target Just go have fun

trad bow

I’m hoping this time next year I will be back in to shooting shape. I had my worn out shoulder replacement surgery yesterday

Last edited:

HIGH COUNTRY

Question - I want to upgrade from the entry level Black HUnter bow. I am looking at the Bear Grizzly or Bear Super Grizzly? I saw where you can get a blemnished model from the Bearn factory at a pretty good discount. Would I be making a mistake to go with 58 inch bow since I am now shooting a 60 inch and I have only been shooting a llttle over two months, but making real progress...

trad bow

I prefer the 60” bow. Easier for me to shoot accurately.

SELFBOW

39# w a 525 grain arrow has worked just fine for me. Ask SweetPea....

trad bow

I know it has! I still remember you. I can’t shoot any poundage anymore but hopefully I’ll be able to by the end of the year.

Latest posts