Brick Wall

ChrisSpikes

I've been hunting a little block of land that is about 30 acres and think I have put a little too much pressure on it recently, so this afternoon I decided to head over to Bullard Creek WMA. I did a little scouting over there a few weeks back but never really found anything to my liking. So, today I carried my climber and went to a completely different area. Figured I'd walk until I saw something that looked promising and climb. I didn't get 200 yards from the truck before I saw some pretty good sign. Wasn't really sure where the deer might come from so I just picked out a good climbing tree and went up. I had checked the weather before I left the house and it was forecasting a west wind. When I got up in the tree, the wind was indeed from the west, but I noticed that once in a while, it would shift 180 degrees. I was right on the dropoff of a bluff and it seemed to be creating some sort of a backdraft.
Well, about 10 minutes until 7:00, I hear something over my shoulder. I ease my head around and see a deer feeding on acorns. Then another. Then another. Their table manners left something to be desired. I could hear them smacking on those acorns from 25 yards away. Eventually, they get to the edge of the bluff and move down to the bottom and head down the edge of the swamp toward me. The lead deer is coming pretty quick and at 15 yards I think, I need to shoot this deer now before it winds me. Just as my fingers start to curl, she pumps the brakes. :banginghe She freezes for about 2 seconds and then hops back down the trail. I'm tracking her as she goes hoping she will stop in an opening. Never happens. She pauses behind some brush for just a second and then keeps on trucking. Oh So Close!
But I tell you, this was only the third deer I have had within bow range this year, and this was the first one that came out early enough for me to get a good look at it. The other two were just dark blobs. I am thankful for the close call.:)

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Maybe with a weather change, it'll turn around for ya. At least your out and about and seeing a few deer.

ChrisSpikes

RC, I haven't seen any, but I haven't been looking either. This was the first time I have been over there since the season opened. Wish I had been over there sooner. I believe I might have had a few shots. Now there's only about a week left.:banginghe

Latest posts