Browning auto5 thin screws

Madman

I have old screw drives I buy at yard sales that I either grind with a 4” round stone to make a hollow ground, or better yet on very nice guns I file a flat that fits the screw perfectly.

You can buy precision ground screw driver sets also.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I bought a set of bits specifically for the Thin Browning screws from Brownells. They worked fine.

earlthegoat2

I recommend the Brownells posted and mentioned above but some care still has to be taken even with the highest quality bit drivers.

I have broken many Brownells Magna Bits and a few of the solid drivers. Luckily they warranty that stuff but your gun may get nice scar.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I recommend the Brownells posted and mentioned above but some care still has to be taken even with the highest quality bit drivers.

I have broken many Brownells Magna Bits and a few of the solid drivers. Luckily they warranty that stuff but your gun may get nice scar.
Yes the fit of the bit must be exact. A few light taps on the driver while lightly turning the bit while it is in the slot sometimes helps to break them free. Also I've read where the aerosol freeze sprays can help. I don't know f they contain anything that would stain blueing though so I've been reluctant to try it. A ziplock bag of ice over the screw for a few minutes may help loosen a stubborn one.