Aftermath of loggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MudDucker

Staff member
Back in June the loggers pulls into our lease to thin the front quarter of the trees. When they pulled out around a month later they left on heck of a mess. The first time I went over there while they was still there cutting I spent an hour on the tractor pushing trees and vines out the way just to get to camp. They made four different loading decks in the roads where we drive. In two of them they took their skidder and pushed out the limbs with one swipe and the others they didn’t do anything. When they came in two years ago they came back with a D6 and pushed out the roads and the water run offs a few weeks after they left. Is it normal practices for loggers to leave roads in bad shape? I spend time every year on a tractor keeping the road from the highway to camp graded so a handicap van can get in without any problems. These are some before and after pics

Don't get me started on loggers and the mess they leave. I might get banded!

Duff

It stinks but as other have said, its all on the landowner. They did ours the same way. We had to take a tractor and clear the roads back out in a few areas

Core Lokt

In my experience, if the landowner is specific and cares, and makes them, they'll fix all the roads and clean up...if not, then they are in and out and don't care in the least...I've had them ram gates, drain oil on food plots, run over 5 new ladder stands waiting to be put up, burn down a shooting house, cut right down to a creek with no barrier, and leave all kinds of garbage. It's like kids playing with Tonka trucks in the house after being outside in the rain...
This sums it up.... If the land owner don't care neither do the loggers.

Kev

I think it’s more of a common sense thing. It’s like when you mow someone’s grass,do you blow the clippings on the porch and driveway? Blowing the driveway and porch off isn’t in the agreement
Every timber harvest I’ve ever been a part of, roads were a bullet point in the contract.

MudDucker

Staff member
I agree 100%. If the landowner doesn’t care who does? They didn’t violate any BMP’s by retiring a road.

I had a provision in my last contract and then the logger up and declared bankruptcy to avoid the cost of clean up. Like I said, I ain't got no nice words for most loggers.

Hillbilly stalker

They leave them a lot worse than that around here. When they clear cut, you can hardly walk the land, no vehicle including atv’s can be driven over it. The land isn’t fit for anything but copperheads and coyotes for the next 5 years. There is fresh browse , but mostly weeds and junk.

Kev

I had a provision in my last contract and then the logger up and declared bankruptcy to avoid the cost of clean up. Like I said, I ain't got no nice words for most loggers.
Yes. I learned my lesson about going with small one or two man crews years ago. Sometimes the results are good sometime not. Now, I only ask bids from the companies that have been in business for at least 25 years and I know most of the owners personally. Logging is a tough industry. The little man can’t hardly make it anymore in this world. If the owner used a reputable timber buyer, he or she can absolutely get roads fixed.

@sghoghunter im not sure what it is your looking for with your thread. People have gave you their opinions and experiences. If you after results complaining to us isn’t gonna fix it. Get on the phone send emails and text and do something about it and tell us how you fixed it .. nothing we can do about it but give you moral support

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
So making loading decks in a road and not clearing the road out when done is normal? You don’t have to go out of your way to do something right if it’s done right in the beginning
Yes, if the timber company who owns it does not specify that in negotiations, that is fair game. Don't make it right, but that the way it is.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Bottom line - depends on the contract negotiated and how diligent and concerned the land owner is. Your issue is with the landowner and not the harvesting crew. If the landowner doesn't care the HC won't care.
This

notsob17

Some land of a family member was thinned in the Spring. I gave the guy on the skidder $150 bucks and asked him to push out all of the debris out of the loading decks (my food plots) and clean up the roads. He was very friendly and said I didn't have to pay him. I did anyways.

Just had some loggers move off my personal land. They did a 1st thinning (plantation cut). I asked them to do several things throughout the 2 months they were there cutting, all which they were glad to do. I asked them to cut a new road around the house so their equipment wouldn't destroy my dirt driveway. They were glad to do that. We use a forester that oversees all of this so that makes dealing with stuff like this much better. The loggers want him to be happy.

ClemsonRangers

i bet there was a clause in the harvesting contract that states roads will be left in as good or better condition after harvest is complete

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I had em push a pile of debris directly into the road bed (they could have put it anywhere else just as easy), blocking its entrance into the bottom.
I pulled up enough of their seedlings to make a new road around that part of the road bed.
They also went at least 40 yd down into the bottom past the freshly painted blue painted SMZ demarcation line and got giant pine trees that they felled across the creek. When they drug them out, it filled the creek channel with so much debris that it floated down to a nearby culvert and clogged it up and the water created a canyon around it so the culvert was no longer crossible with a vehicle.
I think loggers get the best meth in the southeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.