Building a cabin

uturn

Getting ready to start clearing my entrance in to a small piece I bought backing up to some forest land...looked hard and long to find a piece of ground to get away and do the same but ended up deciding to buy this piece in the county I live in now and make it our homestead. A lot of that decision was made because of what NMurph mentioned...Our age and time to get there!

I will be trying to document my journey with it...not sure just yet if it’s a Metal Building, Pole Barn or Conventional Wood Frame Home...I love them all for different reasons!

Good luck on yours!

And, I love Triple C’s take on it too!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Getting ready to start clearing my entrance in to a small piece I bought backing up to some forest land...looked hard and long to find a piece of ground to get away and do the same but ended up deciding to buy this piece in the county I live in now and make it our homestead. A lot of that decision was made because of what NMurph mentioned...Our age and time to get there!

I will be trying to document my journey with it...not sure just yet if it’s a Metal Building, Pole Barn or Conventional Wood Frame Home...I love them all for different reasons!

Good luck on yours!

And, I love Triple C’s take on it too!
Keep us posted. It will be cool to see it in various stages of progress.

chrislibby88

Man that’s awesome. I’ll tell you what we did and since it sounds like you aren’t far from me you will probably know what I’m talking about. We ordered one of those sheds the Mennonites build. It’s perfect. They delivered it and put the blocks under it. We use a generator for power and wired it up ourselves and put in a window unit for hot weather and an old Ranger stove for heat. It ain’t fancy but might be exactly what you’re looking for. I posted outside and inside pics in the deer camp thread if you’re interested.
I was gonna suggest getting a premade wooden building and putting it on blocks or a slab. Beat me to it. You can find these things used for pretty cheap too.

reflexman

Snake Dodger
Yep the derksen cabins are well made you can do a little or a lot. I did a lot mine is a 12x26 lofted barn cabin. I added a 14x14 bedroom n an 8x8 full bathroom ran electric insulated it wood floors n paneling. Then put in 15000 btu ac with heat strip appliances n wife finished it off by finding old furniture ect. Took a couple years start to finish when money was available LOL.

reflexman

Snake Dodger
I power wash n put a light maintenance coat of semi transparent stain every other year. Weve had it 14 years n its still rock solid.

deers2ward

If you build a log cabin, I recommend coating the logs with Boiled Linseed Oil. My cabin was built in 1938...I have the daily journal from the construction that the man in charge wrote every day....after cutting the trees from the property and skinning the logs, they coated all logs with BLO, and it is still in great shape 82 years later.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’d be concerned with carpenter bees on a log cabin. I stayed at Florence Marina some years ago and the cabin seemed to be being eating alive by the bees.

Triple C

I bought the adjoining land to my place in 2012 and it had a crude cabin on it wrapped in OSB board. Moved it the following year to where our other pole barn cabin is located and remodeled it as a guest cabin. Wrapped it in rough saw pine on the outside and inside, added a bath and put in a kitchen. Window unit to cool in the summer. Sleeping loft upstairs. Turned out to be a quaint cabin that serves it's purpose well.
GC I.jpgGC V.JPGGC VI.JPGGC IV.JPGGC III.JPGGC II.jpg

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I bought the adjoining land to my place in 2012 and it had a crude cabin on it wrapped in OSB board. Moved it the following year to where our other pole barn cabin is located and remodeled it as a guest cabin. Wrapped it in rough saw pine on the outside and inside, added a bath and put in a kitchen. Window unit to cool in the summer. Sleeping loft upstairs. Turned out to be a quaint cabin that serves it's purpose well.
View attachment 1025539View attachment 1025541View attachment 1025543View attachment 1025545View attachment 1025546View attachment 1025548
dang that's nice!!!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
View attachment 1025539View attachment 1025541View attachment 1025543View attachment 1025545View attachment 1025546View attachment 1025548

Man, that is NICE.