Bullfrogs' Sex Life?

michauxii

OK,
Exactly how to bullfrogs breed/reproduce? Seriously!

I'm assuming there is some,uh, breeding?? or that the old male frog deposits his sperm internally rather than externally as a fish would do..

Any of you boys experts on the love life of the BF?

fredw

Retired Moderator
http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/Rana_catesbeiana/

Breeding takes place in May to July in the north, and from February to October in the south. Fertilization is external, with the females depositing as many as 20,000 eggs in a foamy film in quiet, protected waters. Fertilization is usually, but not always, by one male. Tadpoles emerge about four days after fertilization. These tadpoles may remain in the tadpole stage for almost 3 years before transforming into frogs. Adults reach sexual maturity after 3 to 5 years.

Key reproductive features:seasonal breeding; sexual; oviparous.

Females provide the eggs with yolk before they are laid. There is no parental involvement in offspring after the eggs are laid. Newly hatched tadpoles can take care of themselves right away.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
OK,
Exactly how to bullfrogs breed/reproduce? Seriously!

I'm assuming there is some,uh, breeding?? or that the old male frog deposits his sperm internally rather than externally as a fish would do..

Any of you boys experts on the love life of the BF?

They do it froggy style. :bounce:

michauxii

http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/Rana_catesbeiana/

Breeding takes place in May to July in the north, and from February to October in the south. Fertilization is external, with the females depositing as many as 20,000 eggs in a foamy film in quiet, protected waters. Fertilization is usually, but not always, by one male. Tadpoles emerge about four days after fertilization. These tadpoles may remain in the tadpole stage for almost 3 years before transforming into frogs. Adults reach sexual maturity after 3 to 5 years.

Key reproductive features:seasonal breeding; sexual; oviparous.

Females provide the eggs with yolk before they are laid. There is no parental involvement in offspring after the eggs are laid. Newly hatched tadpoles can take care of themselves right away.

I guess I'm more confused than ever!:confused:

The above paragraph states,"external."
How does a frog "jump right on it" "froggy style" externally??

fredw

Retired Moderator
I guess I'm more confused than ever!:confused:

The above paragraph states,"external."
How does a frog "jump right on it" "froggy style" externally??
I'd ignore the jokes....they may only confuse:bounce:

The female lays the eggs. Afterwards, the male fertilizes the eggs. Kinda like fish you know.

I'd ignore the jokes....they may only confuse:bounce:

The female lays the eggs. Afterwards, the male fertilizes the eggs. Kinda like fish you know.

That doesn't sound like much fun.:(

shaggybill

Females lay the eggs, and then the males come along and fertilize them.