Burton trout hatchery now open

OwlRNothing

Good deal. It's a win win for both anglers looking to fill a stringer, and wild fish streams. Glad to see it's completed.

Rabun

In the past I have only seen bows and browns come out of there. Maybe they’ll rear some brook is too. That would be great! Will they start stocking this spring like normal?

kayaksteve

I pretty sure I read somewhere the other day that they will be trying brook trout now that the upgrades are finished. I could be mistaken though

lampern

Trout eggs are incubating well at Burton Trout Hatchery!
Approximately 100,000 brook trout eggs were delivered to the hatchery last week, and around 300,000 brown trout eggs have reached the eye-up stage and will be hatching soon. Staff used last week’s warm weather to grade trout in the raceways.
This is an important step in preparing groups of fish for the next stocking season.

From GA DNR

Rabun

That's great news! Correct me if I'm wrong but prior to the renovation they did not actually hatch the trout from eggs but simply reared delivered fingerlings? I went by last week but gates were locked. They did a great job on the ramp area!

OwlRNothing

I think in the past most of the trout raised in GA came from eggs shipped in. Maybe someone with DNR can confirm?

Kdog

Around 30 years ago my buddie and I got to tour the hatchery. If I recall correctly, they were hatching browns from eggs at that time.

Last edited: