Can anyone explain this law?

What is the purpose of having to have a carry permit to have a pistol while bow hunting? Why is it ok for someone with a permit to do so but not others on private property? Seems kind of silly to me. If I'm out in the woods and run across a pack of coyote or wild dogs or a rabid animal that are aggressive I want more that a bow on me to protect myself from the threat. You would think DNR could tell the difference between a broad head or a bullet wound if they are worried about people shooting deer with a pistol during bow season. I'm wondering if they are trying to force people to buy a permit.

Actually you can carry your handgun on your private property without a Georgia Weapons Carry License

THIS is from Georgia carry.org
I Do Not Have a Georgia Weapons License nor a reciprocal license. What Can I Do?
Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License nor a reciprocal license. Can I carry in my car?
A:
Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle.
Q: Can I carry in my house?
A:
Yes. See above answer.
Q: Can I carry a handgun openly, without concealing it?
A:
No! Georgia is one of the minority of states that requires a Georgia Weapons License to carry a handgun openly outside of your home, car, or place of business. However, any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

red neck richie

Actually you can carry your handgun on your private property without a Georgia Weapons Carry License

THIS is from Georgia carry.org
I Do Not Have a Georgia Weapons License nor a reciprocal license. What Can I Do?
Q: I don’t have a Georgia Weapons License nor a reciprocal license. Can I carry in my car?
A:
Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. In addition, such person may carry a long gun, which must be carried openly if loaded. Moreover, such person may carry in his or her own motor vehicle. Finally, if such person is eligible for a Georgia Weapons License, he or she may carry in any private passenger motor vehicle.
Q: Can I carry in my house?
A:
Yes. See above answer.
Q: Can I carry a handgun openly, without concealing it?
A:
No! Georgia is one of the minority of states that requires a Georgia Weapons License to carry a handgun openly outside of your home, car, or place of business. However, any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.
Yes but not while bow hunting. Read page 20 of the 2018-19 hunting regulations.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It used to be illegal to have a pistol while archery hunting during deer bow season period.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
BTW I still haven't heard anybody explain the reasoning behind the law? Other than they have to draw the line somewhere. Really? You cant tell a bullet hole from broad head?
The reasoning is that it's bow season, not pistol season. The same reason that you can't have a Prince Albert can full of nightcrawlers in your back pocket while you're trout fishing on a fly-fishing only creek. Or a .30-06 in your truck while you're riding around at night shining a light on soybean fields.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Am I wrong to question these things?
No. You just got a reputation lol.

It's weird. You can carry your pistol Friday all over the place and do as you please. Then Saturday morning, you pick up your bow, you now need a permit for the same pistol. I'm sure there's a reason.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Dont u have a DNR buddy? Cant you ask him? What is the reasoning behind the law?
I could. He’s just a officer.
I’ll text him tommarro about this..... or I’ll ask him next time he tracks me down in the woods.
I help keep him in practice. ?

I’ll ask !

cowhornedspike

The reasoning is that it's bow season, not pistol season. The same reason that you can't have a Prince Albert can full of nightcrawlers in your back pocket while you're trout fishing on a fly-fishing only creek. Or a .30-06 in your truck while you're riding around at night shining a light on soybean fields.

And the only reason they allow it if you have a permit is because the carry laws trump DNR regulations and they aren't willing to fight to get the law changed in order to keep you from being able to do so.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Bait is protecting your life?
People protected their lives with bows and arrows for tens of thousands of years. Enough of them lived to produce all of us. Some of them whupped our army that had pistols.

red neck richie

People protected their lives with bows and arrows for tens of thousands of years. Enough of them lived to produce all of us. Some of them whupped our army that had pistols.
Yeah flintlocks with iron sights not semi autos with scopes. Just saying.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
And the only reason they allow it if you have a permit is because the carry laws trump DNR regulations and they aren't willing to fight to get the law changed in order to keep you from being able to do so.

Actually the game and fish law (not regulation)used to completely prohibit possession of a pistol while archery deer hunting with a bow during deer bow season even if one had a permit.

Then there was some pressure put on representatives to change the law so that licenses carriers could carry while archery deer hunting during archery season. So they changed the law to allow licensed carriers to carry during this time frame.

They Could changed it back if they wanted

red neck richie

He was talking about the poaching.
There was another discussion about this a year or 2 ago.
Search may help.
I get the poaching aspect but my point is it is not hard to prove if a deer has been shot with a bullet or broadhead. Its like typical gun laws the law abiding citizens are the ones that follow the law and are punished the poachers are going to do it anyways.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I get the poaching aspect but my point is it is not hard to prove if a deer has been shot with a bullet or broadhead. Its like typical gun laws the law abiding citizens are the ones that follow the law and are punished the poachers are going to do it anyways.

Keep in mind that law was probably originally passed before most posting on this board were born