Carson Beck

across the river

Perfect example; Auburn lost four games this year.
Great example. They start the #1 qb as a freshman and he struggles early. He is much better toward the end of the season with some experience, which is typical. Tua, Lawrence, Stafford, etc..... all sat behind another quarterback until they be them out. It takes a while to get some experience, which is why it is rare for freshman to play. Nix was the top qp in his class. Carson Beck is like #10. If he has to start it will not be pretty.

joepuppy

Grad transfers can be a healthy shot in the arm. Just ask LSU. On the other hand, good receivers can make an average QB look great(not referencing any particular team).

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Jakes gone...... Time for someone to man up and take over!

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Looks like Cade Mays is too. Word is CML wants slimmer, more mobile OL's.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Looks like Cade Mays is too. Word is CML wants slimmer, more mobile OL's.
Been saying it all yr. big and in the way don't cut it. They couldn't run block all yr. swift would have been a sure enough beast with some run blocking. If your inner thighs touch all the way to your knees when you walk, you ain't mobile

across the river

Everyone at Auburn should be fired!
Explain Jake Fromm & Trevor Lawrence....perfect example????

Do you know the names Chase Brice, Cammon Cooper, and Paul Tyson? You may know Brice, but only because he backs up Trevor Lawrence. Those are the #10 ranked QBs the year Fromm, Trevor Lawrence, and Bo Nix came out respectively. Carson Beck is the #10 qb in his class. There is a big drop off from the top couple of five stars to the #10 four star. If you don't believe me, go look for yourself over the past several years. I'm not saying that the kids ranked lower than the top two or three don't develop and end up being great college QBs. Justin Herbert was only a 3 start and he will go high in the draft. However, that is the exception rather than the rule. What I am saying is that it is rare for even the five star kids to come in and start as a true freshman at QB. It is just too difficult of a transition for 99% of the kids coming out. Nix and Lawrence were not only the top talents in the class, but also had the benefits of going into a system much like the one the ran in high school. Fromm had intangibles off of the charts, and two NFL running backs to carry most of the load. You won't find many, if any in the #10 range that came in and started as a freshman, much less had successful freshman campaigns. Carson Beck is not as talented nor as polished as any of the other three were coming out of high school. He will not start as a freshman at Georgia, and if he does it will be a long season.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Been saying it all yr. big and in the way don't cut it. They couldn't run block all yr. swift would have been a sure enough beast with some run blocking. If your inner thighs touch all the way to your knees when you walk, you ain't mobile

Mays was the worse run blocker we had. What we will miss from him, is his ability to play any position on the line. He got caught holding a lot. Hate to see him go but Tate Ratlidge will make him look slow.

ddavis1120

Everyone at Auburn should be fired!
Explain Jake Fromm & Trevor Lawrence....perfect example????

Lawrence is a generational talent and it took him three or four games before he started. It took an injury for Fromm to start as a freshman.

We're in serious trouble if we are depending on Beck. I hope the kid proves me wrong but history says otherwise. I'm sure Kirby already knows what the options are going the graduate transfer route.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Lawrence is a generational talent and it took him three or four games before he started. It took an injury for Fromm to start as a freshman.

We're in serious trouble if we are depending on Beck. I hope the kid proves me wrong but history says otherwise. I'm sure Kirby already knows what the options are going the graduate transfer route.
If it’s Pollack, Brice, or Jones I would be fine!
But pulling some injured QB out of the Portal is Nuts!
I rather risk it on Beck or Mathis!

King is coming of a injury and so are some of the others!
Just asking for trouble IMHO!

riprap

If I remember correctly he averaged around seventeen attempts per game during the regular season. Subtract the four or five dump offs to the backs out of the backfield and you are approaching territory not seen since a QB named Buck was around.

Not trying to belittle his contributions but he was not slinging the ball all over the field his freshman year because he didn't have to. He was able to get a win at Notre Dame and had a coming out party against Missou. Neither game was placed upon his shoulders to win though.

But back to the original topic; it is leap of faith to depend on a freshman QB.
I just never saw that IT factor that Fromm was about to take over a game so get out of the way. I just don't see him doing what Trevor Lawrence did and single handedly take over.

You're correct about Chubb and Michele. If he wasn't handing it to them he was dumping it off to then for big gains. Swift is good but not as good as they were. They were something special being in the sane backfield that should have resulted in a NC.

Rackmaster

Carson Beck is not as talented nor as polished as any of the other three were coming out of high school. He will not start as a freshman at Georgia, and if he does it will be a long season.
I also said Fromm would declare for the draft and was told I was wrong!

http://forum.gon.com/threads/tua-stays.958481/page-3#post-12078618

They may get a transfer in but he still HAS to beat out Beck or Mathis!
We shall see!
Beck also has RB’s that are going to the NFL!
Just because they are Freshmen it DOES not mean that they can’t carry the load!
If you believe that you don’t watch much College Football!
Freshmen show how valuable they are in EVERY football game QB’s, RB’s, WRs, Linemen, Safetys, & everyone in Between!

across the river

I also said Fromm would declare for the draft and was told I was wrong!

http://forum.gon.com/threads/tua-stays.958481/page-3#post-12078618

They may get a transfer in but he still HAS to beat out Beck or Mathis!
We shall see!
Beck also has RB’s that are going to the NFL!
Just because they are Freshmen it DOES not mean that they can’t carry the load!
If you believe that you don’t watch much College Football!
Freshmen show how valuable they are in EVERY football game QB’s, RB’s, WRs, Linemen, Safetys, & everyone in Between!

Freshman contribute all of them time, but primarily at other positions. There aren't a lot of freshman QBs, period. When they do start, it typically isn't pretty even if they are highly ranked. This year, Boise State, TCU, Arizona State, Auburn, and North Carolina all started Freshman QBs for all or most of this season, and all of them we ranked higher coming out of high school than Beck. Outside of Howell, not one of them sniffed a QBR rating of 70, and I think Howell barely made that. Most were at or near the bottom of their conference. Boise State was the only at double digits wins. They got throttled by Washington in the bowl game, and their Freshman QB was horrendous when they played someone decent. If you honestly think Beck is going to come in and put up a season like Lawrence or even Fromm did as a freshman, then you obviously don't watch much football.

Rackmaster

Do you know the names Chase Brice, Cammon Cooper, and Paul Tyson? You may know Brice, but only because he backs up Trevor Lawrence. Those are the #10 ranked QBs the year Fromm, Trevor Lawrence, and Bo Nix came out respectively. Carson Beck is the #10 qb in his class. There is a big drop off from the top couple of five stars to the #10 four star. If you don't believe me, go look for yourself over the past several years. I'm not saying that the kids ranked lower than the top two or three don't develop and end up being great college QBs. Justin Herbert was only a 3 start and he will go high in the draft. However, that is the exception rather than the rule. What I am saying is that it is rare for even the five star kids to come in and start as a true freshman at QB. It is just too difficult of a transition for 99% of the kids coming out. Nix and Lawrence were not only the top talents in the class, but also had the benefits of going into a system much like the one the ran in high school. Fromm had intangibles off of the charts, and two NFL running backs to carry most of the load. You won't find many, if any in the #10 range that came in and started as a freshman, much less had successful freshman campaigns. Carson Beck is not as talented nor as polished as any of the other three were coming out of high school. He will not start as a freshman at Georgia, and if he does it will be a long season.
I did do a little research:

CHASE BRICE
4682565.png

Prospect Info
  • HIGH SCHOOLGrayson
  • HOME TOWNLoganville, GA
  • EXP2017 - 2021
As a Prospect
247SPORTS COMPOSITE®

0.8818 i

PAUL TYSON
4649592.png

Prospect Info

As a Prospect
247SPORTS COMPOSITE®

0.8972 i

CAMMON COOPER
4649457.png

Prospect Info
  • HIGH SCHOOLLehi
  • HOME TOWNLehi, UT
  • EXP2018 - ...
As a Prospect
247SPORTS COMPOSITE®

0.8917 i

CARSON BECK
4649605.png

PROSPECT INFO

HIGH SCHOOLMandarin
  • HOME TOWNJacksonville, FL
  • CLASS2020

0.9191i

across the river

I did do a little research:

CHASE BRICE
4682565.png

Prospect Info
  • HIGH SCHOOLGrayson
  • HOME TOWNLoganville, GA
  • EXP2017 - 2021
As a Prospect
247SPORTS COMPOSITE®

0.8818 i

PAUL TYSON
4649592.png

Prospect Info

As a Prospect
247SPORTS COMPOSITE®

0.8972 i

CAMMON COOPER
4649457.png

Prospect Info
  • HIGH SCHOOLLehi
  • HOME TOWNLehi, UT
  • EXP2018 - ...
As a Prospect
247SPORTS COMPOSITE®

0.8917 i

CARSON BECK
4649605.png

PROSPECT INFO

HIGH SCHOOLMandarin
  • HOME TOWNJacksonville, FL
  • CLASS2020

0.9191i
He is eight by the composite of 247 and 10 on Rivals. Either way he is significantly lowers than Fromm or Lawrence who were both .97 plus. That is a big difference from his 90s to low 90s.

Rackmaster

He is eight by the composite of 247 and 10 on Rivals. Either way he is significantly lowers than Fromm or Lawrence who were both .97 plus. That is a big difference from his 90s to low 90s.
Like I said we will see!
Either way if they do bring in a transfer QB or the greatest Freshman of all time the play calling at UGA is stagnant!

So it really doesn’t matter if they have a rating of 100% or 91% they will be utilized the same with the Chaney/Coley era!