CC semi-autos

johnnylightnin

I'm in the process of selling a P32 to fund the purchase of a larger caliber for CC purposes. I've got a 9mm right now in a full-size M&P and I love it. I really love the cost of the ammo. Because of that, I'm looking at the Taurus PT709 Slim and the Kel-Tec PF9 (I had a good experience with my P32). The Kahr's are out of my price range and so is a PPS. A glock 26 or a M&P9c is really stretching the budget, but it could be done.

My question is, what's the real world difference in carrying these pistols. I LOVE my M&P and I'd love to get the compact version, but my priority is a gun that I WILL carry. It needs to be comfortable. Are the single stacks that much more comfortable than the doubles?

This is a tangent to the post, but I'd also take IWB holster recommendations for my M&P9.

What's you're advice when considering a CC weapon? I'd rather not go down the .380 road because the ammo is tough to find and pricey when you do find it. I'd just keep my P32 if the other option was going up to a .380.

I guess, in part, I'm waiting on someone to sell me on a Glock 36. How does its size compare to the size of those single stack 9s?

Thanks in advance.

gahunter70

if you can swing a glock then you could afford a kahr cw9,40,or 45, better than the 709 imho but the taurus is a nice little gun. The kahr will have a much better trigger. you can also find kahr p series on the auction sites used in the 400-450 range. I carry a p9 that I bought off gun broker for 400+shipping. Love it, I have about 300 rounds through it with out a hiccup and my 8yr old girl has shot it and emptied the clip with no problems(first time to ever shoot a handgun) I suggest a good holster,I like comp tac but crossbreed is also very good.See if you can go and shoot some different ones and buy the one you like.

rjcruiser

Personally...I didn't like the way the 709 felt. It was too thin.

I went with the PT111 Millenium Pro and love it. Lots of folks say the trigger is too long or stiff, but I thought it was just fine. I had no problem hitting pie plates at 15-25 yards. It felt good in the hand and for me, lines up well.

Only difference between it and the 709 is that is a touch thicker...but I liked that because it felt better in my hand. The greatest part about the PT111 is that they can be had for $300 or so.

patriot

I have two CCW's. One is a Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro the other is a Springfield XD40. Both are double stacks that fit very well in my hand. I have short fat fingers so a lot of double stacks are too big for my hand. I use Don Hume leather holsters for inside waist band carry in the back. The weapons fit snug and the belt clip is strong enough that the holster doesn't come out when pulling the weapon out. Both weapons are small enough I can wear them while driving.

johnnylightnin

I shot a buddy's PT140 and I actually enjoyed shooting it. The trigger will take some getting used to though. I wonder if it might be better to pay a few dollars more and get the PT 24/7 compact though.

GAdeadEye

I would look at the keltec p11 9mm before the pf9, I had two pf9's and had no luck with either one plus the p11 holds a few more rounds than the taurus or pf9. The millenium pro is also a good choice, I converted mine to DAO so I can carry one in the chamber with the saftey off, Kahrs are good also but a bit pricey for what they are in my opnion.

yaknfish

My favorite for CC is the Kahr PM9. No regrets; I'd buy the same thing again. I'm kinda thin, and to me, the single stack guns are much easier to conceal and carry. But....based on this statement: "I LOVE my M&P and I'd love to get the compact version...", I'll suggest you try the M&P SC first and see how it carries. No change in operation or feel, and the mags fit. May even share a holster or two. Sounds like a no-brainer. (Unless you pop for the Kahr)

IWB Holsters? I've got a High Noon that I like a lot.

I've said this before: Think about all the ways you may carry the gun before you buy. It may (should) affect your choice.

yaknfish

How does the size compare b/w the PM series and the CW series?

The PM is about 1/2 inch smaller in length and height. The PM fits in a pocket better. It also leaves your little finger hanging off the grip. For me, the PM is less fun to shoot, and less likely to print.

winchester1970

I have been carrying a PT709 for the past month or two and have not had any problems keeping concealed. I did try pocket carry a few times, but prefer holster on the hip. Conceals well even under a T-shirt. Tried a small of the back holster first, carries well in that position but made it uncomfortable while driving. Settled on a Don Hume leather slide holster for now and like it fairly well. Paid $380 out the door for the stainless model, but I understand a titanium model is or will be available.

johnnylightnin

I have been carrying a PT709 for the past month or two and have not had any problems keeping concealed. I did try pocket carry a few times, but prefer holster on the hip. Conceals well even under a T-shirt. Tried a small of the back holster first, carries well in that position but made it uncomfortable while driving. Settled on a Don Hume leather slide holster for now and like it fairly well. Paid $380 out the door for the stainless model, but I understand a titanium model is or will be available.

Did you dislike pocket carry because it was uncomfortable? Prints? IWB is a work in progress for me and concealability is very important. There will be sometimes that, if pocket carry isn't an option, I won't carry at all. Would you say that 709 is more or less concealable than a S&W 442/642?

jreXD9

I have the PM9 and the CW9. BOTH can be pocket carried. Yes, the smaller PM9 is ideal for it, but don't let anybody tell you the CW9 can't be. I enjoy shooting the PM. It's got a surprisingly mild recoil for a small 9. The CW9 shoots a little softer. I usually CC and used to CC my xd9sc.....until I got these Kahrs. Like a previous poster said, if you can afford a Glock you can definitely afford a Kahr CW9. I got mine used for a little less than $400.
If you were closer you'd be welcome to shoot mine.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
A crossbreed holster makes IWB easy. It conceals a Glock 19 easily. I'm thinking G-26 next just to reduce weight.

johnnylightnin

Shoved a PT709 in my pocket this afternoon and it fit very well. Lighter than a Walter PPS. The guy at the counter said they haven't been able to keep PF9's in the store since the election.

jmanon

I had a P-11 and my brother in law has a PF9, and I didn't like either. The trigger pull is awful and it is very snappy because it's so light. I pocket carried mine, and there were no issues as far as concealment goes. Now I pocket carry a Sig P232 or IWB a P239, which are much better to shoot. If you really need concealment, a smart carry is the best option I've found, but the thickness really does make a big difference.

jreXD9

PF9....nasty little gun. I didn't like it at all and got rid of it within a couple weeks of getting it.