CFE Pistol powder

Adam5

I have two unopened pounds of CFE Pistol, and I’m thinking of using some this week. I’m still learning, and just haven’t used this powder yet. I hear that it’s clean burning and is versatile. There are three loads that I’m looking at doing with it.

9mm 147gr Berry’s plated RN over 3.8gr
.45acp 230gr Hornady XTP over 6.7gr
.45acp 200gr Speer LSWC over 7.8gr

Has anyone used similar loads with CFE Pistol? What were your experiences with it?

Ray357

AWOL
I have two unopened pounds of CFE Pistol, and I’m thinking of using some this week. I’m still learning, and just haven’t used this powder yet. I hear that it’s clean burning and is versatile. There are three loads that I’m looking at doing with it.

9mm 147gr Berry’s plated RN over 3.8gr
.45acp 230gr Hornady XTP over 6.7gr
.45acp 200gr Speer LSWC over 7.8gr

Has anyone used similar loads with CFE Pistol? What were your experiences with it?
I have loaded 9mm +p+ and hot 40 SW loads with it. It's good powder. The hotter you run it, the cleaner it gets. It does leave a pretty good amount of carbon, but not enough to be a problem.

chuckdog

It meters well and as posted above works best in upper mid and higher velocity applications.

For me it will never replace Universal or Unique for target velocity stuff. That's not its market. If you're looking for a "do all" powder with a bit higher octane it will likely suit your needs.

It has earned a permanent place on my shelf.

Reactions: Dub

bullgator

I‘m a big fan of CFE Pistol. I’ve used 7.5 gr with a 200 coated LSWC myself.

RFWobbly

I have two unopened pounds of CFE Pistol, and I’m thinking of using some this week. I’m still learning, and just haven’t used this powder yet. I hear that it’s clean burning and is versatile.
CFE Pistol is a fairly slow powder. Although Hodgdon lists loads for 45ACP, IMHO that cartridge really doesn't work at a high enough chamber pressure to give great results with CFE. 38Super, 40S&W, 10mm, 9mm... Yes. Those cartridges all work over 30,000psi.

For a good comparison, load your 9mm rounds first and then see how the 45ACP stacks up.

rosewood

Longshot has become my go to pistol powder. It loads from mild to wild in 9mm, .357 sig, 40, 10mm and 45. I have developed some pretty good target loads in 40 and 10mm using CFE Pistol. CFE pistol will give top velocity in 10mm with 155 grain bullets.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
.45ACP has a 21,000psi chamber and a max load of CFE Pistol runs about 19,600 with a .451 LSWC according to Hodgdon.

chuckdog

I have no issue using CFE Pistol with the 200gr and up bullets I normally use in .45 ACP.

CFE is near the same burn rate as Accurate #5 which for many years was my powder of choice for higher velocity .45's.