Chain pickerel in Jackson lake

GaMudd

My son's friend went fishing on Jackson this morning (oh, to be young again) and caught this chain pickerel. I was shocked to find out they were in the lake.
IMG_1733.png

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My son's friend went fishing on Jackson this morning (oh, to be young again) and caught this chain pickerel. I was shocked to find out they were in the lake.
View attachment 1001863

I caught one about the same size in the Griffin water reservoir a few years back.

GaMudd

That pic is from a video clip where they mentioned the teeth on that thing. I'm guessing they were pretty surprised when they pulled it up. To be honest, I cant believe anyone went out on that water today. It looked liked chocolate milk with white caps this morning.

Cmp1

BANNED
Lots of fun to catch,,,,has got to be in the Northern family,,,,good eating,,,,you can Fillet them,,,,just like a Northern,,,,

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Lots of fun to catch,,,,has got to be in the Northern family,,,,good eating,,,,you can Fillet them,,,,just like a Northern,,,,

You can filet them, but if you don`t gash em proper, you won`t take but one bite.

Jack are mighty fine eating.

Cmp1

BANNED
You can filet them, but if you don`t gash em proper, you won`t take but one bite.

Jack are mighty fine eating.
I never tried to Fillet a Northern,,,,when I caught those pickerel in NC,,,,they would dive straight to the bottom,,,,good fighting fish,,,,

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I never tried to Fillet a Northern,,,,when I caught those pickerel in NC,,,,they would dive straight to the bottom,,,,good fighting fish,,,,

Jack here spend half the time in the air when you fighting them around here. Did you ever eat one of those NC jack?

Cmp1

BANNED
Jack here spend half the time in the air when you fighting them around here. Did you ever eat one of those NC jack?
Nope,,,,but I've had pickerel,,,,but it might not have been Jack,,,,my buddy in the AF made us some,,,,I threw mine back,,,,

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nope,,,,but I've had pickerel,,,,but it might not have been Jack,,,,my buddy in the AF made us some,,,,I threw mine back,,,,

We have 3 kinds here. Chain (jack), redfin, and grass. Redfins are my favorite.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've learned about gashing from you guys,,,,does it allow the grease to get in and disentagrate the bones?

I reckon that`s what it does. You can`t eat em without gashing em.