Changing PTO size of a bush hog

slow motion

Got an old bush hog I use on an 8n with a 1-1/8" shaft. Wanting to use it with a tractor with a 1-3/8" shaft. I know I can buy an overrun clutch to upside the pto output. 1-1/8 female to 1-3/8" male. What I am looking for is the opposite. 1-3/8" female to 1-1/8 male. Does that exist? Or is there another way to make this work?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
So you don’t want to change the bush hog drive shaft, correct?
you want to be able to use the mower on the 8N and a newer tractor

sleepr71

Get a PTO shaft that fits the tractor(1 3/8) & change the yoke on the implement side(@ bush hog gearbox) to 1 1/8 ?? Or vice versa...put a 1 3/8 yoke on the existing driveshaft? I’m not aware of a “bushing” that allows that. It would probably be weak..as that’s only 1/4 difference. I’d check Ag Supply & Tractor Supply websites..

slow motion

So you don’t want to change the bush hog drive shaft, correct?
you want to be able to use the mower on the 8N and a newer tractor
Yes sir. That is the plan.

slow motion

Get a PTO shaft that fits the tractor(1 3/8) & change the yoke on the implement side(@ bush hog gearbox) to 1 1/8 ?? Or vice versa...put a 1 3/8 yoke on the existing driveshaft? I’m not aware of a “bushing” that allows that. It would probably be weak..as that’s only 1/4 difference. I’d check Ag Supply & Tractor Supply websites..
Probably a better option. May be sorry later but my laziness is taking over at the moment.

Yelpu1

Make sure the pto shaft will fit on to adapter without raising above level . You can damage your tractor if it’s too long.

slow motion

Make sure the pto shaft will fit on to adapter without raising above level . You can damage your tractor if it’s too long.
Thanks for the tip. The shaft has adjustable tubing but I will make sure before I use it.

sleepr71

^^^ Not a bad idea. Probably won’t be an issue until you lift the bush hog up high,when the shaft is at its shortest. I bet it’s not going to be an issue,but I check before heading out to work?

slow motion

Thanks for all the tips and replies. Always enjoyed time on a tractor. Even just piddling with or working on.

Yelpu1

Problem happens when you raise cutter to get shaft on. It’s shorter when lifted and longer when you lower. It can cause damage to tractor , cutter or shear shear pins.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Problem happens when you raise cutter to get shaft on. It’s shorter when lifted and longer when you lower. It can cause damage to tractor , cutter or shear shear pins.

To add metal flying at pto speeds is not a fun situation to be in

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Also boys always check your top link, had a fella using one with thank God a forestry cage on the tractor once and he didn't notice the top link had came undone, heard a racket and went to investigate, he was white as a ghost, picked the mower up at the end of the row to turn around and could barely stamper out that stuff went to flying everywhere when the shaft hit the deck as he picked up. Luckily just needed a new shaft and a lil paint to the deck and that mower still mows but could have been a lot worse