Cherokee County 2nd Rut

Rem270

Well, the 2nd rut is going on in Cherokee County... As I type this I'm watching 2 young bucks chase 2 does around in my neighborhood. Lol, and I'm having to work. Hope someone is out there enjoying this beautiful morning in the woods.

lildorris00

Agreed....For whatever reason I see more rutting around the week of Xmas and New Years than I do in November...seems like there is always a hot doe or two that isn't bread initially and I end up with 3-4 bucks running them hard that week.

Rem270

It's not the second rut. It's the primary. I've lived here my whole life and the rut peaks the last week of November
I have a taxidermist in Cherokee that hunts the county and mounts a ton of hunters trophies from the county. Primary was several weeks ago...

Rem270

It's not the second rut. It's the primary. I've lived here my whole life and the rut peaks the last week of November
I have a taxidermist in Cherokee that hunts the county and mounts a ton of hunters trophies from the county. Primary was several weeks ago...

Sixes

I'm just going by the last 35 years of me being a serious hunter and what I have seen and what I see at work in Ball Ground every year.

Cherokee is a big county, so rut times can be different for different areas. For me and the guys I know that hunt and work in the northern half of the county, the primary usually starts around Thanksgiving and as someone above mentioned, the secondary will hit around Christmas and can be as good as the primary. I work on an unhunted 1000 acre piece of land with security cameras everywhere and see deer on a daily basis, I know when the bigger deer start to make appearances.

bany

I realize Forsyth co. is way far away? but I’d suggest it’s now-ish. My biggest buck was killed on 12-3. I couldn’t find a scrape 3 weeks ago but I’m just a guy who………………
But you said primary and I’m not convinced there has to be such a thing.
I have also seen bucks chasing in February.
Everyday is a great day to be in the woods!

Last edited:
I agree the dominant bucks started breeding back in late October....now they are on the hunt for other does....I have seen bucks and does following each other into the end of December.....baby fawns with spots late into September here in certain areas of Cherokee County

huntersluck

I have only hunted four counties in north west ga (been hunting 40years) and the bigger bucks have always seemed more active and chasing in the the areas I have hunted in the 15th to 25th range of November. and again near Christmas with some does bred in January that has been my experience anyway

Gbr5pb

63 year old lived and hunted Cherokee entire life! Keep a journal on hunts for some reason! Earliest chasing November 15 latest December 15. Actually same year same tree. By far the most from November 24 to December 6

Latest posts