Chevrolet 1500 2.7 Turbo Engines

Buford_Dawg

Anybody running one? Would like feedback if you know anything about them. Drove one the other day, seemed to have lots of get up and go. Wonder how reliable they are. Internet search shows the early years were mixed (2019, 2020), but recent updates seem to have people liking them well. Turbo 4 cylinder just doesnt sound right in a full size truck, but driving it, you would not know much difference in the 5.3.

Big7

The Oracle
4 Banger in a 1/2 ton pick-up don't sound good to me. They would probably wear out pretty quick and I doubt you could drag very much.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
From what I’ve read it’s a capable little engine, just not a V-8. The issue is it gets a less capable transmission hooked to it that struggles. The MPG is no better than my 6 cylinder 4WD Nissan.

Hillbilly stalker

Read a good article and watched several videos on that the other day. The consensus was they were good motors, but the day of 300k motors was GON. And they were talking about Toyotas, said they were now in the same class as Chevy & Ford as far as longevity and durability. We test drove a Highlander last month, it didn’t have enough power to pull a greasy string out of a cats butt. It was a 4 cylinder but not turbo. Jumped in a V6 Nissan and it felt like a racecar. If I was to buy a truck to work with or pull stuff….I want one with some guts in it.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I own a '21 Silverado 1500 with the 4 cyl. 42,000 miles. Only issues I've had are not motor specific. Pull a #6000 travel trailer. Been in the lower elevations of the Smokies twice. 10-11mpg pulling in the SE flats. I can get 25+ interstate travels. In '22 they increased the HP by a little, and max torque (torque is a flatline from 1500 rpm to 4500) Only thing that takes a bit getn use to is the motor sound. :)

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
380 ftlbs @ 4250 of torque, 360 hp @ 5500 for the F150

430ftlbs @ 3000 and 310hp@ 5600 for the 4 banger

I bet the 5.0 Coyote will outlast the 4 banger 2 to 1, and 1/2 the maintenance cost

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
380 ftlbs @ 4250 of torque, 360 hp @ 5500 for the F150

430ftlbs @ 3000 and 310hp@ 5600 for the 4 banger

I bet the 5.0 Coyote will outlast the 4 banger 2 to 1, and 1/2 the maintenance cost

Maybe so...in line to see. For what it's worth, my kids Tesla is THEE quickest vehicle Ive ever rode in. Scary quick, 0-60 in less than 3 seconds! ...technology changes. :)

transfixer

Anybody running one? Would like feedback if you know anything about them. Drove one the other day, seemed to have lots of get up and go. Wonder how reliable they are. Internet search shows the early years were mixed (2019, 2020), but recent updates seem to have people liking them well. Turbo 4 cylinder just doesnt sound right in a full size truck, but driving it, you would not know much difference in the 5.3.

Be VERY careful BD ! GM came up with that powertrain to meet the mileage numbers the Fed was requiring them to meet , the did NOT come up with it because it was going to be a reliable ,durable engine ! virtually all the manufacturers are coming up with small turbo charged engines so they can meet mileage numbers, they have to use turbos to get the power needed to move the vehicles, the problem is when you do that you're putting a lot of strain and premature wear on a small engine, therefore it will not have the longevity of the bigger engines,

and as Ruger#3 mentioned , the transmissions are troublesome, GM's current line of 8spd and 10spd automatics will keep my profession in business for many years to come,

Redbow

Don't want no 3, 4 banger nor a 5 banger either in a pickup truck. Anything turbocharged can sit on the lot until it rusts and the tires go flat for all I care. The article that I read on the Tacoma was the 4 banger in those trucks are underpowered and they don't get any better gas mileage than the V-6 does.

Duff

They swapped my work truck from a v-8 to a 4 cyl turbo. Meh. Much rather have the v-8, but it’s free so I’ll drive whatever.

Honestly, I don’t think the gas mileage is that far apart.

It’s just a lot of extra work for a motor and transmission. No way it can last as long.

Plus, my wife laughs at the sound every time I crank it :bounce: