Is this legit? (WWII Memorial)

SarahFair

I was going to write up a quick story on the WWII thread about my Great grand uncle Paul E Faircloth who was KIA in Germany.

He was buried in France.

Anyways, I went to reference the findagrave page when low and behold someone had added a pretty clear picture of him in uniform just 2 days ago.
All I had before was a grainy picture from a book, so I was over joyed.

See, back some years ago Adam Makos' team had contacted me in search of my grandfather because he was writing a book on Clarence Seymore, a WWII gunner.
My Uncle, Paul, was his SS and was to receive recognition in the book.
Unfortunately my grandfather had recently died and I could be of no help, but thankfully they later found another family member who had a picture (Makos' team would never swap the contact information to which family member it was, the only remaining family I know of for this line are my father, aunt, sister, and I).

So, when I saw a fresh picture had been posted I clicked to see who added the picture. The profile had a "home page" link that went directly to a tribute page for my uncle.
It is in English and French

Towards the bottom of this page it says this
Before the memory fades...

In 2018, in collaboration with the PATRIOTIC ASSOCIATIATION "MONS DUTY OF MEMORY" we invested in the creation of a stone stele in memory of the American Sergeant of the Third Armored Division: Paul Faircloth killed while rescuing these companions at the crossroads of Asquillies in Harveng on September 3, 1944.

Thanks to the very precise description of his Corporal Clarence SMOYER, his second present on the scene, still alive in 2021, we were able to identify the exact place where the tragedy occurred.

Unfortunately, in 2019/2020 the COVID passed by, and in 2022 his friend Clarence SMOYER, his brother in arms who accompanied him to MONS and who was to join us for the inauguration died all planned events have again been cancelled…

The stone monument is ready but its installation on the scene of the tragedy in Mons is encountering administrative problems, our association has therefore decided to send and install the stone in its native town : Glynn County, Georgia.

We need all kinds of logistical help, contact with the administration, American legion, to carry out our project

I have seen the stone memorial they are talking about.
The website shows a cut out of it, but I saw the same unedited picture, it seems to be laying on a pallet.

To me it looks like a man who has a small group that takes an interest in the history of WWII in their area.
I looked him up further on Google and found his linked in page, it seems he was talking about the above event 3 years ago.

I'd like to contact him to see exactly what kind of help he'd need, but my question is, has anyone heard of scams like this?

Resica

I was going to write up a quick story on the WWII thread about my Great grand uncle Paul E Faircloth who was KIA in Germany.

He was buried in France.

Anyways, I went to reference the findagrave page when low and behold someone had added a pretty clear picture of him in uniform just 2 days ago.

See, back some years ago Adam Makos' team had contacted me in search of my grandfather because he was writing a book on Clarence Seymore, a WWII gunner.
Unfortunately my grandfather had recently died and I could be of no help, but thankfully they later found another family member who had a picture (Makos' team would never swap the contact information to which family member it was, the only remaining family I know of for this line are my father, aunt, sister, and I).

So, when I saw a fresh picture had been posted I clicked to see who added the picture. The profile had a "home page" link that went directly to a tribute page for my uncle.

The website shows a cut out of it, but I saw the same unedited picture, it seems to be laying on a pallet.

To me it looks like a man who has a small group that takes an interest in the history of WWII in their area.
I looked him up further on Google and found his linked in page, it seems he was talking about the above event 3 years ago.

I'd like to contact him to see exactly what kind of help he'd need, but my question is, has anyone heard of scams like this?
I have not but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, probably does.
Thanks to your Great great Uncle for sacrificing his life for us at the young age of 20!!

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Not sure if this would help, they say you can do a reverse image search of the pic. That might help in some fashion.

SarahFair

Not sure if this would help, they say you can do a reverse image search of the pic. That might help in some fashion.
Which picture?

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Which picture?
I might have misunderstood, but thought you said 'he' posted a pic of Uncle Paul. My thinking was how did he get a pic if he's not connected to the family?? If he's a scammer could he have found a real pic online then 'cleaned it up'?? Could it be a pic of someone else that looks similar??? I have no idea just trying to contribute.

SarahFair

I might have misunderstood, but thought you said 'he' posted a pic of Uncle Paul. My thinking was how did he get a pic if he's not connected to the family?? If he's a scammer could he have found a real pic online then 'cleaned it up'?? Could it be a pic of someone else that looks similar??? I have no idea just trying to contribute.
Oh, it's sourced from a newspaper archive out of Florida at the time of his death.
I had my people confused though, this guy posted pictures of the battle/death site, another contributer posted the obituary photo..

I had my sister look over the site, she doesn't know what to think.
They seem like a group of tank enthusiasts if anything.
I went ahead and shot him an email. :huh:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If they are raising funds to send the piece to the US and they are legit, they should be able to provide you with some solid references. A bank for one. You could check them. I have a grandson with me right now who did a year at University in Leon his French is conversational and he could make some calls for you if you can get phone numbers for any references.

westcobbdog

He was buried in France.

Think it's either a distant relative or someone who enjoys doing research and posting info. Doesn't seem like a scam especially if they aren't asking you for anything.

westcobbdog

Seeing quite a few records on Fold3 on Paul Faircloth, looks like he died in action in France Sep 3 1944 and is buried in Epinal France.

SarahFair

I got an email back which in part read

Last year, we contacted all the veterans associations in Glyn County, but no response....
We have resumed our project and we are studying various possibilities to relaunch the installation of the monument, in Mons and why not where Paul was born.

I'm wondering if they didn't get a response from Veterans associations because they might have had the same thought I did. :huh:

Sounds like they are going to give it another go to install it in Mons.

Latest posts