Chevy Colorado

Bones

My wife and I are getting up in age and it is getting harder and harder for her to get in my Chevy Silverado. We have traveled monthly between Florida and Georgia for the past 25 years. Would move to Georgia but children and grandchildren live here. The trip is about 6.5 hours one way. I was thinking of downsizing to a Chevy Colorado. Was wondering how they travel on the interstate? How comfortable they are and any information that would help me make the descision like problems you might know of. I come here cause I always get great information.

sinclair1

My wife and I are getting up in age and it is getting harder and harder for her to get in my Chevy Silverado. We have traveled monthly between Florida and Georgia for the past 25 years. Would move to Georgia but children and grandchildren live here. The trip is about 6.5 hours one way. I was thinking of downsizing to a Chevy Colorado. Was wondering how they travel on the interstate? How comfortable they are and any information that would help me make the descision like problems you might know of. I come here cause I always get great information.
Have you considered a booster step to get her in the truck? I have a Tacoma and it’s about the same height as a Colorado.They will be close in ground height to your full size, so you won’t gain much in the problem of getting in the truck. I have a one step folder for relatives who struggle. IMG_3886.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My recommendation would be to forget the Colorado, and get a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier. You will be much happier. Both actually made in America, and 10x the quality of any Chevy product.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I don't have any of those trucks but I do have a version of that step that I use with a camper. It is a very well designed stable step that folds flat.

For ease of access I can't recommend for or against any pickup but I have found nothing that beats the middle row seating of a Honda Odyssey. I have been picked up in one after a couple of pretty serious surgeries and they are very easy to get into and out of.

sinclair1

My dad bought a 23 Colorado and I drove it most of the way from MI down to Savannah and can say it rides great

It’s the sporty off roady option one too so the suspension is probably stiffer.

Blind loyalty to any one maker is pretty short sighted in general but to each their own.
I agree to a certain extent, but when you get burned it leaves a mark. I am a loyal Toyota buyer because it’s been my most reliable.
My wife switches up brands like I do underwear. She has had good luck picking good cars over 5 brands.

Paleo

Dump Trump Movement CEO
My recommendation would be to forget the Colorado, and get a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier. You will be much happier. Both actually made in America, and 10x the quality of any Chevy product.
I've driven a lot of rental trucks for work and the previous model of Nissan Frontiers (I think they sold the same truck for 15 years or so) was awful. The Colorado drives really nice and looks good but has no interior room in the back and you can't stow stuff under the seat. Haven't driven the new Tacoma but the earlier ones were great especially with 4wd and the V-6 (rare to find a Tacoma rental, my experience was mostly with a company-owned or co-worker's truck). The 4 cyl were really slow.

I mostly drove full size trucks and sometimes put 10-20,000+ miles on the same rental before Enterprise wanted it back. IMO, F-150s were the best by far for on and off road ( although I hated the auto shut-off in the newer ones). Rams were nicer for highway driving but the short-backseat "crew cabs" were no good for carrying passengers or interior storage. Seemed like it was just a way to accommodate child seats.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've driven a lot of rental trucks for work and the previous model of Nissan Frontiers (I think they sold the same truck for 15 years or so) was awful. The Colorado drives really nice and looks good but has no interior room in the back and you can't stow stuff under the seat. Haven't driven the new Tacoma but the earlier ones were great especially with 4wd and the V-6 (rare to find a Tacoma rental, my experience was mostly with a company-owned or co-worker's truck). The 4 cyl were really slow.

I mostly drove full size trucks and sometimes put 10-20,000+ miles on the same rental before Enterprise wanted it back. IMO, F-150s were the best by far for on and off road ( although I hated the auto shut-off in the newer ones). Rams were nicer for highway driving but the short-backseat "crew cabs" were no good for carrying passengers or interior storage. Seemed like it was just a way to accommodate child seats.
"Awful?" What model you driving? A 4 cylinder 2wd? Yeah, those are awful. I've been driving Frontiers since 2001, and will probably never drive anything else. And I've tried everything else. Only truck I've ever had go 300k and still have every original part functioning on it except brakes, belts, and batteries.
I wouldn't trade my 23 Frontier for two new Tacomas or ten Chevy Colorados for my uses. Big V6 (Tacomas are going to 4bangers,) lots of horsepower and towing capacity for the size, drives great, comfortable, goes good offroad and in snow, locking differential, made in Alabama and Tennessee, and reliable as they come. TO each their own, I guess. Everybody I know who has a Colorado has issues with it.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
"Awful?" What model you driving? A 4 cylinder 2wd? Yeah, those are awful. I've been driving Frontiers since 2001, and will probably never drive anything else. And I've tried everything else. Only truck I've ever had go 300k and still have every original part functioning on it except brakes, belts, and batteries.
I wouldn't trade my 23 Frontier for two new Tacomas or ten Chevy Colorados for my uses. Big V6 (Tacomas are going to 4bangers,) lots of horsepower and towing capacity for the size, drives great, comfortable, goes good offroad and in snow, locking differential, made in Alabama and Tennessee, and reliable as they come. TO each their own, I guess. Everybody I know who has a Colorado has issues with it.
I think they were having problems with the first Colorados with the 5 cylinder. I want to think it was a volvo design? Almost all the trucks from 2006 til now have had problems, Nissan and Toyota being the exception.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think they were having problems with the first Colorados with the 5 cylinder. I want to think it was a volvo design? Almost all the trucks from 2006 til now have had problems, Nissan and Toyota being the exception.
Yep. Toyota and Nissan are the only things I'd drive nowadays.