Chicken coop and run

Name the Chicken coop!

• Cluckingham Palace

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Coopdevillle

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

longbowdave1

Amazing! I love it :) You are going to have some spoiled chickens. It will be interesting to see if they use that rope swing. I'm not going to let my chickens see your coop because they might be jealous and go on strike.
glad you like it! may have more questions for you if the girls start misbehaving or I get in new parent issues.LOL

longbowdave1

That looks good and will work fine, Dave. Good to see that you predator proofed it. Chickens are a lot of fun .
I did about a weeek researching coops and different ideas. I know i have coons, fox, coyote, and aerial predators, so I did my best to protect them.

longbowdave1

I used rolled asphalt roofing material. Supposed to be low cost and low weight on shed style roofs. We'll see how it hold up. Got to overbuild things because of snow load in the winter.coop 30.jpg

longbowdave1

Here's the rain water plumbing job. This will all get drained and be removed during the winter. Then I will run a heated 5gallon waterer. coop 31.jpg

longbowdave1

I had the build the nesting box into an existing window height from the log house so, it's up a bit. I built the hens a little ladder to walk up to the nesting box, and hinged it so it can swing out of the way when I'm raking out the coop to clean it.coop 33.jpgcoop 34.jpg

Last edited:

longbowdave1

Got some boards under the roosting area to catch the chicken skat for the fertilizer harvesting system. It also helps keep the inside of the coop clean.coop 32.jpg

atlashunter

That’s really nice. ??

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Just curious, how many of you raise chickens? For laying, meat???
I had them for several years. I've got a large chicken run but we would let them roam the yard some. Foxes ended up getting them. 7 in one day. I haven't replaced them yet. Been a year without fresh eggs. Your coop is very nice.

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
I have had chickens for a long time... they free range during the day and sleep in their coop at night. I enjoy having fresh eggs and also enjoy hearing the roosters crow and seeing the hens with their biddies running around. When I get too many roosters I sell them. I've sold their eggs for 2.50 to 3.00 a dozen for eating, and sold hatching eggs for 25.00 a dozen. I can hunt wild animals and eat them, but I've never been able to eat any animal I feed.
IMG_0435a.JPGeggs.JPGIMG_0355a.JPGIMG_0088a.JPGIMG_0455a.JPGIMG_0227a.JPGeggs1b.jpg

longbowdave1

I have had chickens for a long time... they free range during the day and sleep in their coop at night. I enjoy having fresh eggs and also enjoy hearing the roosters crow and seeing the hens with their biddies running around. When I get too many roosters I sell them. I've sold their eggs for 2.50 to 3.00 a dozen for eating, and sold hatching eggs for 25.00 a dozen. I can hunt wild animals and eat them, but I've never been able to eat any animal I feed.
View attachment 1014078View attachment 1014079View attachment 1014080View attachment 1014081View attachment 1014082View attachment 1014083View attachment 1014084
Very cool pictures MS. Debbie! Great looking birds. I'm just tinkering with the coop now, waiting on my chickens.......... Getting ready to plant the small garden in a few weeks. Always a chance of frost here until late May.

longbowdave1

We had a couple light rains in the last few days. The 20 gallon barrel is already filled with rain water! I think the rain water collector works great. I wasn't sure how much water would be collected from the small shed roof.

longbowdave1

When your chickens free range during the day, do the wonder far from the coop?? There are quiet a few people near my house that have chickens, I guess I have have been noticing the coops more now that I took the plunge.