Christmas knives

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Hey, Hank, did those last files I brought you work out?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
LOVE CPM154. One of the “super” stainless steels, USA made resulting in cleaner steel, less inclusions. And it holds an edge a long time. Repeated this story many times: I’ve got pics of me shaving my homper legs AFTER that knife of mine had gutted and helped skin a bull elk, skinned and gutted two whitetail bucks. It’s a super good steel that anyone with some degree of skill in sharpening a blade…they can keep it sharp. Some of the other super steels….not so. Extremely difficult to sharpen.

I am in the infancy of a newly found appreciation/fascination with knife steels and edges.
My brain has put out lots of wood smoke trying to learn about the different aspects and qualities of different steels and a little about blade geometry lately. All very new to me, but fascinating.
But I still have no understanding of damascus. I know it's 2 or more different types of steel folded over and forged on to itself but that's about it. Wondering if the 2 steels chemically bond as in elements blending together in solution at temp or are they just physically bonded through the hammering and pressure...
Also having two different metals with different hardness, and grain structure, wear resistance, etc. along the bevel forming an edge confuses me as it relates to sharpening...

Have you had any thoughts about this stuff?
Newly created with forgers in mind by the same metallurgist that recently came up with the process that produced Magnacut...

godogs57

I am in the infancy of a newly found appreciation/fascination with knife steels and edges.
My brain has put out lots of wood smoke trying to learn about the different aspects and qualities of different steels and a little about blade geometry lately. All very new to me, but fascinating.
But I still have no understanding of damascus. I know it's 2 or more different types of steel folded over and forged on to itself but that's about it. Wondering if the 2 steels chemically bond as in elements blending together in solution at temp or are they just physically bonded through the hammering and pressure...
Also having two different metals with different hardness, and grain structure, wear resistance, etc. along the bevel forming an edge confuses me as it relates to sharpening...

Have you had any thoughts about this stuff?
Newly created with forgers in mind by the same metallurgist that recently came up with the process that produced Magnacut...
They are literally welded together. It’s always interesting what kind of Damascus you can make, given the different types of carbon steel used. Then there’s different patterns on the resulting finished product. The iterations can go on and on. Have not looked at apex yet…I know Larrin and he’s one sharp guy. Knows his stuff. I’ll read up on it.

Glenn2399

Hank made me one of his Trout and Bird knives with green micarta. This knife was for one of my great grandsons. When my wife seen it, she threatened to keep it. Talked to Hank he said he could make a paring knife with the green micarta for her. She is ecstatic with this knife and has stressed it is HER'S. It is beautiful. I'll never never touch it. thanks Hank.

BriarPatch99

I annealed them but haven’t cut a blade out yet. Good steel in both of those rasps! Much appreciated and I’ll see you soon. Probably at Chehaw Frontier Festival
Hank .... Hope to bump into you at the Frontier Festival this year... enjoyed chatting with you...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'm back in for Kinch #2 for my son. Your work is heirloom quality Hank. I'll be back after #2 for #3 for my nephew. :rockon: