File knives finished

godogs57

Posted a “before” thread last week showing my blades post heat treat. Here’s the finished product.

My first Kinchafoonee Hunter using a file blade. I had some stabilized burl walnut around and it turned out really nice in my opinion. My Canadian Skinner has stabilized Tasmanian Blackwood handles affixed with blue liners. Yes, that’s Tasmanian Blackwood even though its not black in color. Came from Australia. Pretty! The serrations in each file show up clearly next to each blade’s handle.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_0141.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpeg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Your masterpieces just keep on coming! :rockon:

sleepr71

Beautiful. I like ‘em! After you “heat treat” them again..are they as “hard” as they were originally,or..are they a little “softer”..say close to off the shelf/common knife metals? I’d think they’d be hard to sharpen,and may chip easy,if back to the original hardness. Just curious. I don’t need Rockwell hardness #’s,or any of your majic sorcery tricks..:)

sleepr71

Do you have a website,or way to “browse” all of your offerings? I have a few people that would appreciate one of your knives,and consider it an “heirloom” piece..as I would.

tjchurch

Beautiful knives but I love that Kinchafoonee Hunter.

godogs57

Beautiful. I like ‘em! After you “heat treat” them again..are they as “hard” as they were originally,or..are they a little “softer”..say close to off the shelf/common knife metals? I’d think they’d be hard to sharpen,and may chip easy,if back to the original hardness. Just curious. I don’t need Rockwell hardness #’s,or any of your majic sorcery tricks..:)
I anneal them before I ever work with the file. Soften them. They go in my heat treat oven @ about 900 degrees overnight. Then grind to shape. Heat treat in my forge until the blade is non magnetic (light orange color), quench in oil, then temper in my oven. It will come out “about” the same hardness as before. Re grind to my final dimensions and the handwork begins.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful work. What is the blade size on that Kinchafoonee?

godogs57

Those are really nice. I'm dying to see the other side of the skinner as the wood at the spine looks so different from the other side.
Oh is the same wood. Both sides are identical. I suppose the ambient light hit one side differently than the other when I snapped that picture. The handle on that blade really jumps around in the light! I have regular Taz in the chocolate color. Some in that blondish color and some with both colors present. That should make a heck of an unusual, but beautiful, blade. All my Taz wood is completely stabilized.
Beautiful work. What is the blade size on that Kinchafoonee?
About 3”+ on the blade. About 7 1/2” overall. I can make that blade any size within reason if someone wishes.

Big7

The Oracle
EXCELLENT AS USUAL !!!

I ain't even surprised any more. :bounce:
They are all equally beautiful.
And of course, the leather work is awesome too.

If I wasn't scared I'd lose them, I'd buy a couple from you.

One thing is absolutely for sure. If I were going to drop big bucks on a knife, I wouldn't even consider one unless you make it.

Big7

The Oracle
Oh yeah @godogs57. , If Daddy hadn't have passed away in 2017, I'd spend the big money on one for him. He would love it.

Plus.... He ain't never lost anything. :bounce:

tjchurch

I went today and picked up the Kinchafoonee hunter. It’s a absolutely beautiful knife. I went and met Hank before this knife was started we picked out the blade type and the file. Then picking out the material for the handle was hard(too many options)o_O I finally decided on the LeeCounty walnut. I am more than happy with it.
If you are going to get Hank to make you a knife, go meet the man. It’s well worth it.

godogs57

I went today and picked up the Kinchafoonee hunter. It’s a absolutely beautiful knife. I went and met Hank before this knife was started we picked out the blade type and the file. Then picking out the material for the handle was hard(too many options)o_O I finally decided on the LeeCounty walnut. I am more than happy with it.
If you are going to get Hank to make you a knife, go meet the man. It’s well worth it.
Great seeing you today.! Come on by anytime.