Churches - Darned if you do/don't

oldfella1962

oldfella1962

Believers,

Say a tranny became saved. Is there scripture that says that they can't present as a woman anymore?
Wow that's a good question! I bet a lot of churches are dealing with issues like that these days.

oldfella1962

And I take issue with no fornication. That's harder to follow that don't eat shrimp or catfish or pulled pork...which is hard to do.
Many preachers take issue with no fornication too, since they can't keep it in their pants on any given day. :(

oldfella1962

That's not repentance. Jesus said we must die to self and take up our cross daily.
What EXACTLY does that mean though? Explain - give me an example of "die to self" and "take up our cross daily". How do you - for example - carry these tasks out on a daily basis on any given day?

GT90

"Wow that's a good question! I bet a lot of churches are dealing with issues like that these days."

From a drive by poster... :bounce:

A lot of churches are dealing with that or similar questions. My father was a Presbyterian Minister for a short period of time. He was a minister to a predominantly white church in the suburbs of DeKald County where the demographics were changing. The old guard was not ready to accept the new neighbors. Pretty sad.

Also experienced an intown ATL Presbyterian church (my wife's) that hired a female minister. The demographics in area were changing to more liberal. IIRC, the minister had a family member that was gay and pushed acceptance onto the congregation. Big split happened. The church did not survive and was sold to a school.

Some congregations will adapt. Some won't.

ambush80

What EXACTLY does that mean though? Explain - give me an example of "die to self" and "take up our cross daily". How do you - for example - carry these tasks out on a daily basis on any given day?

One interpretation is "Take up the biggest burden you can and shoulder it for as long as you can"; die to the self that was unwilling to carry that burden or suffer that suffering. Adherence to that would make for some lovely world. Not everyone is made that way.

ambush80

"Wow that's a good question! I bet a lot of churches are dealing with issues like that these days."

A lot of churches are dealing with that or similar questions. My father was a Presbyterian Minister for a short period of time. He was a minister to a predominantly white church in the suburbs of DeKald County where the demographics were changing. The old guard was not ready to accept the new neighbors. Pretty sad.

Also experienced an intown ATL Presbyterian church (my wife's) that hired a female minister. The demographics in area were changing to more liberal. IIRC, the minister had a family member that was gay and pushed acceptance onto the congregation. Big split happened. The church did not survive and was sold to a school.

Do you see that as evolution?

GT90

I don't know what the end result was in the first scenario. Not sure if the church is still active....Maybe evolved?

The second, per my post, it did not.

In regards to the second example. Most parishioners found a different church or stopped going. My in laws stopped going. They had so much history and were so tied to that church (plus their age 70+) that they did not have a strong enough urge to find a replacement. I do not think their belief ended. Their participation in organized religion ended. It was almost akin to losing a meeting place with long time friends. There was not a replacement for them.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I don’t think evolution as much as a reset. The episcopal church added a civil wedding ceremony for gays into the church doctrine in the 70s. It was a major point of contention that caused a split in the church worldwide. Those that left for a newly formed denomination are using doctrine as it was written in the early 1900s.

oldfella1962

Interesting insights! But it makes sense there will be conflicts of sorts - churches don't exist in a vacuum! If a church is serving a community that community will eventually change. The community will change the church, but the church might change the community too.

WaltL1

I don't know what the end result was in the first scenario. Not sure if the church is still active....Maybe evolved?

The second, per my post, it did not.

In regards to the second example. Most parishioners found a different church or stopped going. My in laws stopped going. They had so much history and were so tied to that church (plus their age 70+) that they did not have a strong enough urge to find a replacement. I do not think their belief ended. Their participation in organized religion ended. It was almost akin to losing a meeting place with long time friends. There was not a replacement for them.
Thats ^ sad. I'm sure they saw their later years a being connected to that church. Tough time in their life to lose that.

Latest posts