Churches - Darned if you do/don't

WaltL1

I think you are seeing fewer churches because members are flocking to the larger churches that offer so much more. If you think about it, there used to be some kind of small community church everywhere you looked, every couple of miles. Now, those same churches are the ones failing because they simply can't compete with the larger, more robust churches that people are willing to drive 20-30 minutes, or more, every Sunday.

I belong to one of those larger, mega-churches. The amount of money they bring in is uncanny. But I couldn't begin to list all of the options they offer to members because it just never stops. And right, wrong or indifferent, it appeals way more to me than any of the smaller churches I've attended.

I really don't think it has anything to do with churches compromising their values or beliefs to grow their membership. This article is specifically speaking to the quantity of churches, not the membership. In theory, one large church could offset 4 smaller churches and membership could stay level.
I think you are seeing fewer churches because members are flocking to the larger churches that offer so much more.
Thats ^ probably very true.
I'm curious when you say they offer so much more - like what?

brutally honest

Anyway, maybe I missed it, but what is the definition of a "mainline" church? :confused: The article talks about conservative churches and other terms but I'm just not sure of what they consider a "mainline" church. Can somebody clear this up for me?

Mainline is:

United Methodist
Presbyterian USA
Episcopal
Evangelical Lutheran
Disciples of Christ
United Church of Christ
American Baptist

Methodists are currently the biggest of the bunch, but they’re in the middle of a split.

oldfella1962

I have no idea why liberal churches are losing members. It truly is a mystery.

the head & red wig on the far left side of the table looks like Carrot Top! :LOL:

carrot.jpg

That said this is obviously (I hope!) not representative of the typical liberal church any more than the Westwood Baptist Church is not representative of a typical conservative church.

WaltL1

the head & red wig on the far left side of the table looks like Carrot Top! :LOL:

View attachment 1205291

That said this is obviously (I hope!) not representative of the typical liberal church any more than the Westwood Baptist Church is not representative of a typical conservative church.
Her name comes from the biblical story of Pentecost, a moment in the midst of fear and uncertainty when tongues of fire came to rest on Jesus’ disciples, they were filled with the Holy Spirit and they began to speak in different languages. She often wears bright red wigs — her own tongues of fire.

BeerThirty

Thats ^ probably very true.
I'm curious when you say they offer so much more - like what?
Child care is a huge one, specifically as it relates to Sunday service. When I go to church, I can drop all 4 of my kids off at different age-specific classrooms. They have their own worship and bible study that's age-relevant, including the baby. My wife can listen to the message and pray without holding onto an impatient, needy 1-yr old.

Overall their ministries are incredible, too. They offer a Wed. evening youth worship, keeping middle-schoolers separate from high-schoolers. They have small group bible study. They offer baseball and basketball. They have several youth conferences and travel ministries. They even offer pre-school during the week.

They are always putting on cool events that bring people in and expose them to the word. We've seen concerts, comedians, etc...

We have a great community outreach program. We own a separate thrift store that our members donate too and we give away to the needy. We have a 5-acre garden our members plant and harvest for the needy.

I could go on and on...

WaltL1

Child care is a huge one, specifically as it relates to Sunday service. When I go to church, I can drop all 4 of my kids off at different age-specific classrooms. They have their own worship and bible study that's age-relevant, including the baby. My wife can listen to the message and pray without holding onto an impatient, needy 1-yr old.

Overall their ministries are incredible, too. They offer a Wed. evening youth worship, keeping middle-schoolers separate from high-schoolers. They have small group bible study. They offer baseball and basketball. They have several youth conferences and travel ministries. They even offer pre-school during the week.

They are always putting on cool events that bring people in and expose them to the word. We've seen concerts, comedians, etc...

We have a great community outreach program. We own a separate thrift store that our members donate too and we give away to the needy. We have a 5-acre garden our members plant and harvest for the needy.

I could go on and on...
Wow!
Yeah the little church on the corner could never be able to afford those type of services/benefits.

ambush80

There's no place in Christ to which those will not lead. If you have any notion of the truth of those matters, regardless of how you may "feel" about them, or even be disposed to thinking of yourself relative to them...the way is lit before you.

All of what appears else besides will be shown as else besides.

...If you align your mind in such a way.

It will be as if something were REVEALED.

ambush80

View attachment 1205291

Believers,

Say a tranny became saved. Is there scripture that says that they can't present as a woman anymore?

brutally honest

As far as I know, “Ms. Penny Cost” is the only ordained transvestite in the UMC. However, there are multiple gay bishops in the UMC. That’s one of the reasons they’re splitting.

brutally honest

Believers,

Say a tranny became saved. Is there scripture that says that they can't present as a woman anymore?

1 Corinthians 6:

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

ambush80

1 Corinthians 6:

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

"The effeminate".

Long hair? Ear ring? Kilt? Cries allot?

Didn't the New Testament disavow Old Testament Laws?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Mainline is:

United Methodist
Presbyterian USA
Episcopal
Evangelical Lutheran
Disciples of Christ
United Church of Christ
American Baptist

Methodists are currently the biggest of the bunch, but they’re in the middle of a split.
The split occurred in the Episcopal Church. The traditional. Anglicans are part of N American Anglicans, where it was founded. The church now extends around the globe.

ambush80

1 Corinthians 6:

Is "Abusers of themselves" done alone or with others?

ambush80

1 Corinthians 6:

That's what I'm saying.

They are saved but they want to wear dresses and lipstick as full grown heterosexual men. Lot's of times they even get married an have children as God commanded.

ambush80

And I take issue with no fornication. That's harder to follow that don't eat shrimp or catfish or pulled pork...which is hard to do.