City limits bear

ripplerider

I just helped load up a small male that was hit by a car about 200 yds. outside the city limits of Blairsville on 129 South. Weighed about 60 lbs. An officer had just dispatched it with his sidearm when I pulled up. Thats one less for us to chase. He would probably have been legal by fall.

josh chatham

Its ok theres still a bunch of em up there!! This may sound mean but thats one less we have to worry about. Been seeing more bear than deer!

ripplerider

I know but I hate to see anything go out like that. Wasted meat. Actually the deputy asked if anyone wanted it but it had been hit broadside and drug down the road so I wouldnt want to eat it. I was surprised he asked that since I thought the D.N.R. didnt allow that.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Its ok theres still a bunch of em up there!! This may sound mean but thats one less we have to worry about. Been seeing more bear than deer!

Plenty more left........ Like Josh said more of them around than deer.

johnweaver

DNR don't want the meat to go to waste. If its hit on the road its free game.

ripplerider

Not bears, at least in the past. The D.N.R. has had an ironclad rule that nothing, not even claws, could be removed from road-killed bears. A local W.M.A. manager told me he had buried 4 with a backhoe behind the checking station and drug 1 off in the woods, all roadkills. A friend of mine hit one going to work last yr. at 5 A.M., called me to go look for it, and went on to work. I called the S.O. to tell them what was going on and they told me I could finish it off if it was suffering but I couldnt move it or take any part of it. I guess theyre worried about the illegal trade in gallbladders, bearpaws, etc. Never did find the bear though it rolled completely over a Honda Accord (knocked off it's feet).