clarks hill report hybrids

jay sullivent

i was on the water by 6:30 and in my spot before 7. things started a little slow but really heated up around 8 AM. i caught a limit of hybrids in the 3 lb range downlining herring between 15 and 25 feet, in 30 to 35 feet of water. i released a couple more so probably caught about 12 total. i stopped downlining around 9 AM and chased some fish hitting the surface in the area. a had one nail my topwater plug but came free after 40 seconds or so. not sure what it was. a lot of the fish hitting the top were perch i think, cause i caught a glimpse of them as they were chasing baitfish near the surface. the fish that hit my topwater plug felt too big to be a perch though. had a pair of bald eagles come really close to us. they acted like they were interested in something floating on the surface but never picked anything up.it was a nice morning on the water.

armyman2007

Good job Jay. I just got back from hybrid fishing on Clarks Hill this morning too. We caught 6 hybrids, they were all about the 2 pound range. We also caught 3 huge Gar. We saw a bunch of surface activity and thought they were stripers that were schooling and hitting baitfish on top, but it turned out to be a huge school of Gar! We fished near plum branch where did you fish?

jay sullivent

i was in bass alley. they were still biting when i stopped fishing. i could have caught more, but didn't want to take the chance of gut hooking any and letting them go to waste.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Dang, that's a lot of backstrap there...:D

That or I guess you could grind them up for chum....;)