Cleaning salt from reels

PROLINE JIM

I was told that a great way to clean your reels from salt is to get an old pot of boiling water and ,after some disassembly, drop your reel into it for a minute or so. It will loosen the gummed up grease and neuturalize the salt. Take it out, blow it dry, and relube.
Has any one ever tried this?

jonkayak

I have never done that, but I did put a reel in some water that I put a bunch of the salt neutralizer in. I cannot remember what it's called but it's that blue stuff you hook to a water hose and it's used to cflush your motor. The reel was pretty much a goner but that stuff broke the salt down and it started working again. A grood internal cleaning and lube job and it was good to go.

alphachief

After you fish, just spray the reel and rod down with every day furniture polish. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then come back and wipe it down. The polish breaks down the salt and lubes the metal. You dont need any fancy anti-salt spray.

jkaviation

Banned
water hose

I just use fresh water sprayed from the hose and then good ole WD 40 , I spray the entire reel,rod guides and the line itself, It lubes and preserves the line and eliminates memory especially for spinning reels.

PaulD

Banned
Salt away does work good! Being I run it through my motor every couple of weeks I usually just go ahead and wash my reels with it when I do it. Every trip they get a soaking in fresh water and reel magic after they dry.

Capt. Richie Lott

Reel Magic on the reels and I have recently over the past year started using Yamaha Silicone Spray. Salt RUNS from my reels and line, but they aren't slipperry to hold and they stay looking brand new... I am impressed with it.... Actually, it makes my reels look better than the first mentioned. I think Razor has seen how it has taken care of my equipment..... It all looks brand new aside of the battle scars....

Crooked Stick

Ok

I have a reel that I used last year in salt water and just broke it out and the thumb bar will not re engage

any suggestions or do I need to send it somewhere?

CAL

I have a reel that I used last year in salt water and just broke it out and the thumb bar will not re engage

Nothing to it,take the side plate off and clean good.Wash in fresh water ,dry,lube and good to go!

jonkayak

Take a tub and mix a gallon of water with a few cups of No Salt or Salt Away and let it soak complete submerged for a couple of days to a week and it'll brake everything free. Once the salt has been devolved and everything turns rinse it in fresh water then dry and lube it.

Last edited:

ALLBEEF

I just use fresh water sprayed from the hose and then good ole WD 40 , I spray the entire reel,rod guides and the line itself, It lubes and preserves the line and eliminates memory especially for spinning reels.

Xs 2:cheers:

Hunter22

Banned
I spray the whole rod and reel from top to bottom with freshwater first then I spray the reel and guides with WD-40 and our reels have lasted since i was 11 but make sure when spraying the reel that you get in every little crack and spray every little screw that you can see, I even spray up in the spool as well. So far it hasnt failed me yet

seaweaver

salt away?
mild Acid....like vinegar. When the mega yachts come in they use yard sprayers full of white vinegar when hosing down the nautical miles of salt from the hull.
Another tip is to keep a good spray bottle of water in the cooler and every so often spray the reels as the day goes on...it is also great on your face and neck/sunglasses(thus the cooler)