Memorable fishing poles from our youth

Nimrod71

My Dad started me fishing back in the mid 50's with a 12 ft cane pole. I still have a feeling for cane poles and I still use one from time to time, when I get the feeling to reconnect with my Dad. Good cane poles are getting harder to fine. I use real corks on the lines too.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Mitchell 304 reel on a Garcia rod, got it in the 60s. Thing was a little winch, stout for its size. Caught bass of all types, panfish and catfish on that reel. Tons of good memories associated with it.C379EECC-CE71-4888-AE5A-8AD157FFA2F7.jpeg

GA1dad

My Dad wasn't in the picture when i was a young'un. I remember my Mom taking me and a cane pole down to Georges Creek in Virginia. We caught knotty heads in the trickle of a stream.

So this one isn't one I used, but it is certainly a memorable rig from my youth.

For as far back as I can remember, my Granny had this old one tucked away in her wardrobe. It belonged to her dad. It is a Pflueger Rocket on what I believe it is a hickory limb. Granny always told me the grip was braided detonation wire. The rod is only half length now as at some point the rod broke about four feet up. I like to think Great Grampa broke it wrestling a big'un. My Granny passed it down to me when I was in my early twenties and had a kid of my own. Hopefully when I pass it down to him, he will cherish it as I did.

20220810_190043.jpg

Lukikus2

I still have a pistol grip my Dad and me built. We used to build custom rods in the day. This is a HMC blank built for spinner baits. The reel has more than likely been updated from a Zebco 33.CA609729-0086-426A-9EB7-6E0D73634BC5.pngE4DB742C-FE0E-4F8F-8CE4-59C2F752FCFD.png

JROESEL

My Dad wasn't in the picture when i was a young'un. I remember my Mom taking me and a cane pole down to Georges Creek in Virginia. We caught knotty heads in the trickle of a stream.

So this one isn't one I used, but it is certainly a memorable rig from my youth.

For as far back as I can remember, my Granny had this old one tucked away in her wardrobe. It belonged to her dad. It is a Pflueger Rocket on what I believe it is a hickory limb. Granny always told me the grip was braided detonation wire. The rod is only half length now as at some point the rod broke about four feet up. I like to think Great Grampa broke it wrestling a big'un. My Granny passed it down to me when I was in my early twenties and had a kid of my own. Hopefully when I pass it down to him, he will cherish it as I did.

View attachment 1169094
A rod like that, with that kind of history, would be on display some where in my house, that way people could see it, only if that rod could talk

JJJSDAD

Started throwing bait caster when 11 can't remember the make of reel. At 14 graduated to a Plunger supreme with still have it learned how to master picking out back lashes. Used it for muskie fishing casting them wooden jointed lures. Caught a few had a fiberglass shake sphere rod.

specialk

i know when i first saw this ad in F&S i had to have one....cira 1978?....k-mart on clairmont rd.....39a3593a65b1be69454c7f1a54bd5493.jpg

615groundpounder

I remember my grandfather giving me the old pocket fisherman when I was a kid.
s-l1600.jpg

turkeykirk

Had a Zebulon 33 and a no name rod. Thought I was big time.
Got into fly fishing. Went with my Dad to a fly fishing shop in the early 70’s. Found a beautiful bamboo rod. Looked at the price tag ($150) and told my Dad I was buying it. What a great rod for that price! My Dad said I’d better read it again. $1500!! Needless to say I couldn’t afford it.:rofl:

35 Whelen

My pride and joy was a True Temper Uni Spin. It was a push button spinning rod and reel combination, the push button was on the rod handle. I bought it with my paper route money around 1968.

GA1dad

Great posts everyone!!! Thanks for sharing!!

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
My first baitcaster, an Abu Garcia 2500 on a 6'6" medium heavy all star rod. Still have the reel but I broke the rod in 98 or 98, I think it was, by loosing my balance and falling on it.

deermaster13

I grew up fishing with my grandpa and cane poles. He did have a couple of the old style metal Zebco 33 and he and I both used them up until he passed away. He had one in particular he loved and I put it in his coffin with a tiny heddon torpedo on it and 6 king Edward cigars in his pocket. I've not used another zebco 33 but still got 2 left that he and I hauled around in the old ranchero. I can see him now throwing that ole zebco and chewing on that cigar. Fond memories and I sure do miss him.