Coffe weed/sicklepod

Big Andy

What Can I spray to get rid of this? I sprayed round up earlier when it small. I just went back down to check on my plots and there are patches of this all over.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The seeds from this plant will lay in the ground for years and sprout when conditions are right. They seem to have a timer on them that lets just a portion of the seeds present sprout in any one year. Several years of spray or plowing under will get them but it takes a lot of effort.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What he said ^^^^^^

That stuff is like Johnson grass and velvet leaf. They the debil!!

Big Andy

I sprayed last year and the beginning of this year. I don’t think the round up is killing it. It knocked it back but didn’t completely terminate it.

Big Andy

I sprayed all of plots at once 5 gallons of round up in a 200 gallon sprayer. I thought it was a little hot but my math could be wrong.
Now I have my plot coming up with this devil weed is in there. I am probably going to have to do this with a backpack sprayer, to spot spray it. I have read to use 2,4,d,b.
Could I mix that with round up? I know that I won't get 100% eradication but I want to make a dent in it.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I mix 24D with a hot roundup mix and aint seen nothing it won't kill.

I had a bad coffee weed infestation a few year ago after I first tilled an 8 acre field. It took forever to get it under control without spraying. I ended up mowing it short before it made the pods and took a hoe to what was left.

It's still in spots there but I gave up on the food plots on that field cause I don't want to go thru that again.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The mixture above will kill the coffee weed that has germinated but will not touch the seeds in the ground that have not germinated. When these seeds get the right conditions they will germinate. Getting rid of this pest completely is a multi year proposition.

doomtrpr_z71

I sprayed all of plots at once 5 gallons of round up in a 200 gallon sprayer. I thought it was a little hot but my math could be wrong.
Now I have my plot coming up with this devil weed is in there. I am probably going to have to do this with a backpack sprayer, to spot spray it. I have read to use 2,4,d,b.
Could I mix that with round up? I know that I won't get 100% eradication but I want to make a dent in it.

What crop is it in and how many acres ?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !

If you sprayed 10 acres, with 200 gallons of mix, that's 20 gallons per acre of solution. If you used all 5 gallons (20 quarts), on 10 acres, that's 2 quarts of glyphosate per acre which should be good.

How many acres did you spray?

Glyphosate mix rate.JPG

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
The only good thing about sicklepod ,is if you keep after it, and keep it from producing seed, it will freeze out in the fall. It just doesn't mean that the seed still in the ground, won't grow next season.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have a small area about 30 ft x 30 ft that’s a mound from timber harvest equipment moving dirt in 2016. It is infested with it.
I know for certain it hasn’t gone to seed since 2018. But it’s still coming back from seed from before.

cowhornedspike

I sprayed last year and the beginning of this year. I don’t think the round up is killing it. It knocked it back but didn’t completely terminate it.

It comes up when it is ready in warm weather. Spraying roundup at the beginning of the year isn't going to do anything to it.

I have a small area about 30 ft x 30 ft that’s a mound from timber harvest equipment moving dirt in 2016. It is infested with it.
I know for certain it hasn’t gone to seed since 2018. But it’s still coming back from seed from before.

I swear it will come up 20 years later when the soil gets tilled.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Seed bank for sickle pod is 50+ years.best Control is to keep it cut back from going to seeds.
I had 5 acre food plot that was infested with it.After plowing,spraying for 4 years I went to the no till method and almost eradicated it.Bushhogged every2-3 weeks and then spot sprayed what was coming up.

Ihunt

Till,spray,till,spray,till,spray,till,spray,…….
Back when roundup wasn’t so expensive, it was enjoyable tractor time. Now between fuel, chemical prices, and fertilizer, it’s just downright sickening

cowhornedspike

Till,spray,till,spray,till,spray,till,spray,…….
Back when roundup wasn’t so expensive, it was enjoyable tractor time. Now between fuel, chemical prices, and fertilizer, it’s just downright sickening

You can skip the spray part if you just till it every couple of weeks throughout the warm season. Just let them come up but not seed out and eventually you will sprout all (or most) of the seedbed and have a clean plot. You have to be willing to let it sit out of production for a year though to accomplish this.

bhouston

IMHO, Coffee weed is like nut grass (sedge) you knock it back and get your crop in the ground quickly to overshadow it as best you can. Not sure you can ever eradicate it completely.

oppthepop

I have literally fought it for 8 years in one 6 acre field. Seems like Covid - it's never going away. Sprayed it several times with several different things. Mowed it down and sprayed it. Plowed it under. somwhow it still can rear its ugly head from time to time. I read recently where in downtown Atlanta they cleared a lot off to build a highrise that hadn't been disturbed since right after the civil war. First time it rained, you guessed it - coffee weed was everywhere.