cold weather clothing system...no more bulky clothes... 2008 thread

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Sometime last year I vowed to find a new way (new for me anyway) when it comes to sitting in a stand in cold windy weather.

Like most of yall I have been through just about everything, from the old days of jeans and sweat pants to insulated coveralls and then to insulated bibs and a huge parka.

BUT I HATE LOOKING AND FEELING LIKE THE MICHELIN MAN WHEN TRYING TO HUNT or climb trees (or chase jeeps:bounce:) and forget ever shooting a bow like that!

So after me and bubbabuck did some serious somewhat cold weather testing last year and then putting it to the heavy duty BRUTAL wind and temps this year I think we have it. Between the 2 of us, we have a couple of differences, but the basics are the same. I am only gonna post mine since I aint wearing his clothes::gone::hair:

This has officially been tested to temps as low as -8 with winds of 25-30 mph. While in that kind of weather you are never completely warm, we were never cold either.

Base layer...

thin merino wool bottoms
merino wool short sleeve top

Mid layer (as needed)

Fleece loose fit bottoms
UA loose fit thin polypro hoodie
Mid weight merino long sleeve pullover
Basspro redhead 1/4 zip pullover windproof fleece

Outer layer...

neither of these are much heavier than normal pants or light weight jacket and are not nearly as heavy as insulated clothes, but they are windproof.

Thse links no longer work, but I still wear them.
basspro redhead expedition windproof fleece pants
basspro redhead expedition windproof fleece jacket

Head and neck...

windproof fleece sockhat. DO NOT USE KNIT. wind eats into knit too fast.
windproof fleece neck gaiter when needed
under armour cold gear head and neck cover under the sockhat and neck gaiter (only used on the very coldest of days)

Hands...

medium weight under armour fleece gloves
fleece around the waist handwarmer
chemical handwarmers in pouch
I like thin gloves when windy. even if your hands are warm inside the pouch, if you get ready to draw or shoot and get busted by a deer and have to wait it out you wont make it when 20 degrees and windy if something is not covering your hands.

feet...

1 pair of heavy wool socks. I prefer lacrosse
1200 gram thinsulate lacrosse rubber boots or 800 gram insulated lace ups
Carry a change of socks in pack. Change when/if feet get cold.
Remove insoles and dry boots every night.

I honestly cant think I will EVER need my insulated bibs or coat again. Wearing this for the most part is not cumbersome and it keeps me WARM and in the tree!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have some other ideas or questions

Last edited:

Jubal

thanks. I went to layering this year as well, but I never left GA or NC. It beats all that bulky junk.

My only "addition" would be what most already know: If you hike in a long ways or up a mountain pack in that last layer (at least) and take extra socks. After your feet sweat and you sit in the cold, the toes will feel like ice.

Again, Thanks!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
thanks. I went to layering this year as well, but I never left GA or NC. It beats all that bulky junk.

My only "addition" would be what most already know: If you hike in a long ways or up a mountain pack in that last layer (at least) and take extra socks. After your feet sweat and you sit in the cold, the toes will feel like ice.

Again, Thanks!

yep, dont feel bad at all changing socks on stand. sweaty feet will kill a hunt QUICK

jaredj88

try putting anti persperant on feet unscented spray or hs roll on works great on feet for controlling sweat

mikelogg

+1 for fleece outer wear.Its light weight,warm and quiet.I hardly ever wear a heavy coat hunting anymore.

Mlrtime

I'm wishing...................BP having Clearance sale on the Realtree Hardwoods HD now, but Christmas is spent, Dadrabit!

whitetaco02

Jim, I got a question.

For the outer layer pants and jacket, which sizes do you recommend? I normally wear an XL jacket but did not know how these sizes run. Also, if you need to put a few layers underneath I was not sure if I would need a 2xl.
I normally wear a large pant as well.
Thanks!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Taco, I wear an XL on just about everything and the jacket and pants are still roomy enough at XL for the layers without being binding

BirdDawg

Very similiar to what I do jt, but I somehow I don't fill out the compression top like it shows in their advertisements.............:huh:

:rofl:

whitetaco02

Taco, I wear an XL on just about everything and the jacket and pants are still roomy enough at XL for the layers without being binding

That is what I need to hear! Thanks

I guess if I try it on and they don't fit, I can always send them back for a different size.

What camo pattern do you and Bubba wear?

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Very similiar to what I do jt, but I somehow I don't fill out the compression top like it shows in their advertisements.............:huh:
:rofl:

huh? mine fits JUST like the commercials:D:D

That is what I need to hear! Thanks

I guess if I try it on and they don't fit, I can always send them back for a different size.

What camo pattern do you and Bubba wear?

not that I think it matters...except to look cool in :bounce: I think most of it is realtree

SowGreen

Great advice Jim, from someone who has experience. Thanks. One question, where did you find the full insole chemical warmer? I can only find the Toastie Toes, which I love, but would like to try the full insole. Thanks.

AliBubba

I hike and backpack a lot. There is a good rule: Start cold stay warm; start warm get cold. Another words, take layers off and on as needed to regulate body temp as not to sweat and know that cotton is the enemy.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Been layering this way for snow skiing for years.

#1 Chilli's (these were long before UnderArmor)
#2 Fleece (the lightweight stuff)
#3 Gortex Shell (don't skimp, this keeps you dry, and the wind out)

Your good to go after that.

Walkerdawg

Has anyone tried the UA Bibs and Parka yet?
They are selling them for about $300.00 each but they are light and look like they would pack very easily.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Great advice Jim, from someone who has experience. Thanks. One question, where did you find the full insole chemical warmer? I can only find the Toastie Toes, which I love, but would like to try the full insole. Thanks.

I think gary got them at dicks.

they actually stayed warm all day...which is about 10 hours longer than toasty toes:D

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Has anyone tried the UA Bibs and Parka yet?
They are selling them for about $300.00 each but they are light and look like they would pack very easily.

I saw a review on another forum that said he didnt like the jacket.

biggest thing is as much as I love UA gear and know for a fact it is worth the money, I cant see me dropping $300 on a top and $300 on bottoms.

the only reason I would consider that route is if they also doubled as rain gear.

the windproof fleece we are using for outerwear is about $200 for the set. the jacket doesnt have all the cool pockets but I can live with that

BowChilling

Thanks J.T.! Gonna start next month buying some of that and can hopefully be ready by next season!

GrandSlamHunter

Sounds just like my system except I add a wool sweater for this old, thin blooded guy.

Toasty toes don't help me, but the full insoles are the ticket. I use them without the toasty toes now.

I also pack in the outer layer and put it on at the stand. If not, what starts off as sweat turns to ice!

If all else fails, a double bull with a buddy heater works great!:banana: