cold weather clothing system...no more bulky clothes... 2008 thread

Gunpowder

Me and 2 buddies used basically the same thing in Il in 5 degree weather in Dec this year on a muzzleloader hunt - one thing I did that seemed to help was Hothands body warmer tucked into my pants belt in the small of my back.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Jim,

Thanks for the info........trying to close on an Indiana lease and will need to stay warm.

Robert

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
Dang, that sounds like about $500 worth of clothes? Anyhow I can't find any of that under armour shaped to fit my "winter" belly. I'm purty hairy anyhow, so I don't get all that cold most of the time.

I did spend a couple of years in western Canada and I learned a couple of simple things that really made a difference. One thing was I got to carrying me a wool-lined parka (lightweight) or a wool overshirt type sweater in dryer weather, I would get to my spot and then put it on to stay warm. One other good tip was make sure you were 'wind tight', which meant that you didn't have no gaps or lightly covered areas around your neck, pants legs, wrists, waist, etc. Them fellers really cover it up and lace it up, right down to some of them water-proof leggings and gloves/mittens halfway to your elbows.

Up there you find out real quick where you are lacking, especially if you hop on one of them snowmobiles when the temp is about -20 and a 40 mph wind is howling across that treeless prarie. Theys parts of my body that didn't "re-appear" for nearly 2 years after my first winter up in Alberta!

kcausey

Banned
I will second that windproof fleece or something very similar is wher warmth is at....i love mine!

Doc_Holliday23

I've been trying to get less bulky as well. Before a trip to SD last year I had a BPS gift card to play with and couldn't find anything so on a whim I bought a ColdGear Compression top. I wore that, a thin LL Bean shirt (gotta look good when you're bird hunting, ya know), and a North Face Windwall fleece. It was around 25, 20-30 mph winds, and sleeting/snowing but I was very warm. Of course, we were also moving around.

I wore the same gear hunting here this fall but had to stack another layer or two on, as I don't have a lot of natural insulating material on my body. The NF fleece is more of a wind shell than it is for insulating. By next season I'm gonna go buy another fleece, probably Mountain Hardwear, and the UA ColdGear bottoms. When its real cold here I wear Columbia Gallatin Range wool bibs and jacket for an outer layer.

Only on the coldest of mornings (and sometimes not even then) I take a pair of IceBreaker booties to the stand with me. They really work and I could've used them on a morning or two back in November, but I didn;t want to tote them.

The AmBASSaDEER

what about rain?

NDLucas

You guys should check Midway (yes, the shooting/reloading site). They had Columbia fleece on sale a week or so ago & a good selection of UA that is out of stock at Cabelas right now.

Troy Butler

You all should also try riverswest products. They are light very waterproof windproof and warm. They are not bulky and are quite when cold. Troy

bublewis

That under armor stuff sounds pretty good. Thanks for the info., believe I'll try some.
In the mountain gamelands of WNC, some of my stands are @ 2-3 miles from the truck, so I pack my stuff in (light 'n thin = good!) I only wear a long sleave t-shirt, a jacket and a pair of pants in. Also I usually only wear @600 grm insul. boots - anymore than that my feet will be soaked and I'll freeze out quick. I rely on good socks to keep my feet warm. When I get to my stand, I take off my wet shirt (steam show), dry off, and layer my clothes back on. I have hunted in as cold as -5 degrees (not often); it is usually in the teens to mid 20's during rifle season here. What makes it tuff is that up on the mountain the wind usually blows and if you hunt the north face the sun won't hit you until @ mid day and then for only a few hours. Many days I walk in on a heavy frost and back out on the same. Good thing the season is only 3 weeks long! :crazy:what a man will do for a deer!

BornToHuntAndFish

Good to hear the voices & wisdom of experience. Hope I can find this thread next year when I try to improve on going with thinner warm hunting clothes during next year's colder days of hunting season.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
well if it helps any, I sold my cold weather insulated bibs and jacket after not wearing them for 2 years straight.

maybe just maybe I will never need them again:)

Ace12

Jim, is the UA 3.0 too warm for the GA winters? All the gear you listed sounds good for 16° and high winds, but what about mid 20's and 30's?

miles58

Banned yankee
Jim,

If you ever see alpaca socks get 'em. The best hat is a fur lined bomber.

I wear an orange parka with slash pockets and I never wear more than jersey gloves. Hand warmers in the slash pockets is all I normally use, no gloves at all, but being raised in this country makes a difference.

There is no substitute for bulk when it's below zero and windy. Big snowmobile boots good socks and heater insoles with the felt liners will get you through -30.

timgarside

great info. i have been layering like this for a couple of years too. i layer my feet also starting with ultra thin poly propolene or silk sox to wisk the moisture then wool. also, use uninsulated danners unless it gets below about 25 then i wear 400 gram insulated rockys. cheap boots will freeze your feet and the deer will laugh at you for walking funny.