Confederate Ancestors

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NC sounds like Christian Messer was a bad hombre', I would still hate the British for that!
What kind of name is Messer?
German. Ever hear of the German Messer-Schmidt fighter planes?

Gary Mercer

Great Grand Pa fought with Washington through the Revolution. I guess that's kind of exciting. Lots of Grand Pas in between.
Visited his grave in a little church graveyard in Up-state N.Y. So I guess he survived the war to make babies.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Cool thread. It's got me looking into my own genealogy. Some of it goes way back to 15th century Europe with paintings of knights and such so I'm a little skeptical.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I know census in the late 18th century and beyond provides solid evidence but how do you know some quack ain't mixing names up? I'm sure the majority of folks back then didn't know how to spell their surname and such. I bet they couldn't even read much.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I know census in the late 18th century and beyond provides solid evidence but how do you know some quack ain't mixing names up? I'm sure the majority of folks back then didn't know how to spell their surname and such. I bet they couldn't even read much.

You just might be surprised.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

There’s legal documents going back to the 1700s. Written receipts given a stores and trading posts, land deeds/grants, even divorce records. Lots of family records kept in family bibles passed down. Genealogy takes putting the records together to makes sense,

westcobbdog

For me it’s Fold3 and Ancestry. Like a lot of hobbies, sometimes the quest for more family info sends me to a library research room to dig down more rabbit holes, then sometimes I might do very little research for 6 months.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member

Many could read and write but some couldn't for sure. Names were written in the census by the census takers and they were spelled phonetically so Darcy was sometimes written as Darcey, Darsy, Darsey, Dorsy, Dorsey, etc.

Family Bibles are fun too. My paternal grandfather was Louis Franklin to all comers but the Family Bible says he was Franklin Louis. His wife was known to the world as Georgia but the Family Bible says her name was Mary George which makes sense from other family names.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have taken my direct lines back to my 4th and 5th G-Grandfathers but I have a cousin who really got into the genealogy of my Paternal Grandmother's line (D'arcy / D'arcie). He took it back to Normandy France and a Knight who came over the channel with William the Conqueror in 1066. He actually did the DNA tests for several members of that family to confirm it.

Turns out that Sir D'arcy must have well at Hastings and was awarded a Barony by William.

From a history recorded in the 1600s from earlier records:
AT the time of the general survey, Norman*de Areci, enjoyeda no less then thirty-three Lordships in Lincolneshire, by the immediate gift of the Conqueror; of which Noctone was* one, where he and his Poste∣rity had their chief seat, for divers after-ages.

This Norman, in 6. Will. Ru•i, beingb with the King, in his great Councel held at Glouce∣ster (together with divers Bishops, Abbots and others) was a Witnessc to that confirmation, there made to the Monks of St. Maryes Abby in York, of divers possessions, which had been formerly bestowed on them: and of his own Lands, then gaved unto them three Carucates in Brunnum.

Wish I had some of the loot.

Resica

I have taken my direct lines back to my 4th and 5th G-Grandfathers but I have a cousin who really got into the genealogy of my Paternal Grandmother's line (D'arcy / D'arcie). He took it back to Normandy France and a Knight who came over the channel with William the Conqueror in 1066. He actually did the DNA tests for several members of that family to confirm it.

Turns out that Sir D'arcy must have well at Hastings and was awarded a Barony by William.

From a history recorded in the 1600s from earlier records:

Wish I had some of the loot.
I'm not surprised sir you're almost royalty !!

Resica

I want to keep going on the heritage, unfortunately I don't have the time and nobody else in the family shows much interest.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I'm not surprised sir you're almost royalty !!

Down the line a couple of generations one of them Barrons married one of the King's daughters. I think back then it was sometimes done as a favor to the father of the bride. LOL

Somewhere along the line we got separated from the wealth. My Darcey Grandmother delivered my father in a dogtrot log cabin that stood about 2 miles from where I now live.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Continuing off topic for a minute. We think log cabins are from the far distant past and we also tend to think wealthy families stay that way.

My father was born in a log cabin as was his father and his grandfather. On my mothers side my grandfather was born in what was in it's day one of the finest houses in Columbia County. It was named Liberty Hall and stood in the fork of Washington Rd and Old Washington Rd. north of Evans (the intersection was reworked into a T several years ago). That home was built by a Revolutionary War vet who was a cousin to George Walton who had a home in Augusta that he named Meadow Garden. That side of the family had money too until the War.

Money comes and goes in families. The making and keeping of it is largely due to the industriousness of the individuals along the line and sometimes the fortunes of war. My Grandmother who bore my father in the log cabin was also born into what had been a prosperous Columbia County family before the War. The family home was then blown down by the tornado in 1875 before she was born in 1893.

Somehow I keep missing the family wealth. LOL

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I too never saw any family wealth. We were always so poor they named us Poe ?

In those days major events like wars, diseases, depression, etc caused financial ruin. Today it happens overnight on Wallstreet.

ssramage

Genealogy hasn't always been kept up with in my family, but I've recently gotten on a kick with Ancestry.com and trying to uncover as much as possible. Just ran across my 3rd Great Grandfather who served in 29th Alabama Regiment Company A from June 1862 through May 1865.

Looking through some military records, they helped initiate the Atlanta-Dalton campaign. They fought at Resaca, Franklin, and Nashville. Of the 1000 men they started with, only 90 survived the campaign and surrendered in NC in 1865. My 3rd Great Grandfather was one of them and lived until 1910. Confederate Census.png

Last edited:

GeorgiaBob

On dad's side of the family there are four brothers, one was dad's great grandfather, who joined Hood's Texas as they traveled through Louisiana and all stayed in service until General Lee surrendered. All four survived the war and all eventually moved to Texas (though they kept their many family connections to Louisiana).

Mom's side of the family includes the designer of the "Turtle," the first submarine used in wartime (in Boston Harbor during the Revolution), and the designer and builder of the first operational submarine to successfully sink an enemy warship (CSS Hunley, Charleston Roadestead, 1864). H. L. Hunley, mom's great uncle, drowned aboard the sub during a test dive in 1863. Mom's great grandfather served with the Tennessee militia 1862 - 1863, and apparently joined a different Confederate unit at some time after Nashville was lost to Union forces invading the state.

Neither side of my family can find any record of any ancestor or family relative serving the Union in any capacity.