Confederate Ancestors

westcobbdog

I can remember my dad taking me to a really old little cemetery a long time ago. It was somewhere between Clayton and Tate City GA at a small church. There were a lot of his people buried there, and I remember it seemed that half the graves had Confederate battle flags on them. I wish I could find it again.

I can remember my dad taking me to a really old little cemetery a long time ago. It was somewhere between Clayton and Tate City GA at a small church. There were a lot of his people buried there, and I remember it seemed that half the graves had Confederate battle flags on them. I wish I could find it again.
Findagrave.com may list the Cemetery.

westcobbdog

Gen. Joseph E. Johnston is a many-times great uncle of my wife. She learned today that his statue in Dalton is on the "offendeds" choppin' block.

When Joe was relieved of duty in the Atlanta Campaign it was thru Hoods lying back stabbing, and it is said many a man in that Army openly wept. He treated the avg Reb soldier with the dignity and respect they deserved, unlike Bragg who led by intimidation. If someone needed to get shot for say desertion Old Joe just had it done without fanfare. Bragg would make certain everyone was watching. Joe was well loved and according to Sam Watkins, NEVER once gave up a defensive position he designed in the Atlanta Campaign.

westcobbdog

You just might be surprised.

Nic I just plugged in your David Endenfield ( B. 1761 ) into ancestry and there is a wealth of info about him, including mention of a plaque in Emmanuel Co for his efforts vs the British as a Patriot. Born in Orangeburg SC died in Swainsboro in 1856. Also see his Revolutionary war pension and Bounty-Land grant application. David was in Weakleys Regt, SC Troops. He was in the "memorable battle of Fort Moor's Bluff" and fought under Francis Marion plus Gen's Clark and Morgan. Wounded twice, once with a sword. Moved to Ga in 1815. BTW, his Obit says b. 1753 not 61' making him 103 yrs at his passing. The obit posted looks to be the original so who knows if b in 53' or 61'...

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic I just plugged in your David Endenfield ( B. 1761 ) into ancestry and there is a wealth of info about him, including mention of a plaque in Emmanuel Co for his efforts vs the British as a Patriot. Born in Orangeburg SC died in Swainsboro in 1856. Also see his Revolutionary war pension and Bounty-Land grant application. David was in Weakleys Regt, SC Troops. He was in the "memorable battle of Fort Moor's Bluff" and fought under Francis Marion plus Gen's Clark and Morgan. Wounded twice, once with a sword. Moved to Ga in 1815. BTW, his Obit says b. 1753 not 61' making him 103 yrs at his passing. The obit posted looks to be the original so who knows if b in 53' or 61'...

Thank you for this. I really appreciate it. :cheers:

Resica

When Joe was relieved of duty in the Atlanta Campaign it was thru Hoods lying back stabbing, and it is said many a man in that Army openly wept. He treated the avg Reb soldier with the dignity and respect they deserved, unlike Bragg who led by intimidation. If someone needed to get shot for say desertion Old Joe just had it done without fanfare. Bragg would make certain everyone was watching. Joe was well loved and according to Sam Watkins, NEVER once gave up a defensive position he designed in the Atlanta Campaign.
I think Joe was a defensive mastermind. They didn't want defense, they wanted offense. John Bell was a pay grade or 2 above where he should have been!. I hear General Longstreet's favorite was Joe!! General Hood was a heck of a division commander, just like A.P. Hill. Attrition made them make some tough decisions. I like D.H. Hill! Gen. Ewell was pretty good at lower levels as well!!

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
@blackbear several of us on here had relatives that made a trip to the wheat field. We would be interested to know who your relative was and what regiment or brigade he was with. The 16th GA with some of my ancestors was another regiment in Wofford's Brigade. The 10th GA mostly from my home town was with Semmes' Brigade that also got to the wheat field.

Resica

We would like to know Blackbear. We were all there and kicked butt! I had great great Uncles, great great great Grandfather(Captain of one of the Companys in the 24th) and cousins in Wheatfield!!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I posted this in the Driveler maybe this will interest you folks, my relative.

Robert Fain Looney was a descendant of a Virginia family who pioneered in Tennessee. His great grandfather distinguished himself in the Revolutionary War, and both of his grandfathers were members of the convention that drew up Tennessee's first constitution. A native of Maury County, Tennessee, Looney was born August 5, 1824. After attending Jackson College in Columbia, he studied law with his brother-in-law, Judge Edmund Dillahunty, and practiced in Maury County before moving to Memphis. Although a Henry Clay Whig who opposed secession, when war came, Looney raised a regiment, the 38th Tennessee; and under his command, it won distinction at Shiloh, Perryville and Murfreesboro, as well as serving with honor in numerous other battles in Tennessee and Georgia. At Shiloh, Looney led a charge that took at least 1000 prisoners, including General Benjamin M. Prentiss. Later he himself was taken prisoner, but was exchanged. Returning to active duty for the duration of the war, he surrendered at Oxford, Mississippi in 1865. After the war Looney returned to his law practice for five years before turning his attention to business and financial matters. He was also active throughout the rest of his life on behalf of the Democratic Party, and was appointed by the government as one of the commissioners responsible for making the Shiloh battlefield a national park. Robert Looney was married to Louisa Crofford of Maury County in 1847, and was the father of three sons and five daughters. His children continued in the family tradition, distinguishing themselves in the political and civic life of Memphis and Tennessee. He died November 19, 1899 and is buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Memphis.9DD46423-C2BE-42E7-85F1-5B06792B0DE0.jpeg

westcobbdog

Been researching a man who was a many Greats Grandfather, James Thomas of Va., moved to Ga. and lived on the Savannah River at Broad Creek then obtained a land grant in what was Washington or Hancock County prior to the American Revolution. His plantation ( Fountainbleau ) was near a place called Sandtown a little NW of Milledgeville and now on the Hancock Baldwin Line. James Thomas had 2 brothers killed by the redcoats at the battle of Eutaw Springs. James Thomas was 10 yards away from Sargent Jasper when he was killed at the Battle of Savannah. He was later awarded a sword from that battle. About 100 years later his relative Bryan Morel Thomas of Milledgeville gave that sword to someone in Dalton who helped him land a much needed job there, unfortunately that sword is long gone today. Bryan Thomas himself was a CSA Brig Gen and had married Gen Withers (Al.) Daughter. Thomas helped found the public school system in Dalton and is buried there. Headed over to visit and clean up the Butts - Thomas Cemetery near Sandtown in about a week. Pretty sure the Butts people are Wally Butts Kinfolk. James Thomas' son was named John Sherrod Thomas, a war of 1812 Vet and who later he supplied the Confederate Army here in the south with things like food, spirits and wool. Anybody bumming for goods got treated badly but he would give any Reb soldier the shirt off his back.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Seems there was GA boys on the 38th TN.

The Tennessee 38th Infantry Regiment, formerly the 8th (Looney's) Regiment, was organized at Camp Abington, Fayette County, Tennessee, in September, 1861. The men were recruited in the counties of Shelby, Madison, and Wilson. Members of Company G were from Alabama, and Company H, later F, contained men from Georgia. During December it was at Knoxville with 988 men but only 250 arms. As most of these were worthless, the General commanding the department did not allow the unit to participate in the Battle of Fishing Creek. Later it was involved in the conflicts at Shiloh and Perryville . It then was assigned to General M.J. Wright's, Strahl's, Palmer's Brigade, Army of Tennessee. During the summer of 1863 the 22nd Tennessee Infantry Battalion merged into the regiment. It was active from Murfreesboro to Atlanta , endured Hood's winter operations, and ended the war in North Carolina. The unit lost thirty percent of the 282 engaged at Murfreesboro, and there were 264 in action at Chickamauga . Only a handful surrendered on April 26, 1865.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Almost gottem…Murfreesboro

Battle of Stones River Begins
The armies collided along Stones River on New Year’s Eve. Facing a larger Union force (42,000 Union soldiers to 35,000 Confederates), Bragg launched an attack in bitterly cold morning fog against the Yankees’ right flank. The attack was initially successful in driving the Union back, but the Yankees did not break. A day of heavy fighting brought significant casualties, and the suffering was compounded by the frigid weather. The Confederates came close to winning, but were not quite able to turn the Union flank against Stones River. The new year dawned the next day with each army still in the field and ready for another fight.

The strike came on January 2, and the Confederates lost the battle. Bragg attacked against the advice of his generals and lost the confidence of his army. The Union troops repelled the assault, and Bragg was forced back to Tullahoma, Tennessee. The North was in control of central Tennessee, and the Union victory provided a much-needed morale boost in the aftermath of the Yankees loss at the Battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862. Stones River was a hard-fought, bloody engagement, with some of the highest casualty rates of the war. The Union suffered approximately 13,000 troops killed, wounded or captured, while the Confederates had approximately 10,000 casualties. President Abraham Lincoln (1809-65) later wrote to Rosecrans, “…you gave us a hard victory which, had there been a defeat instead, the nation could scarcely have lived over.”

blackbear

My two uncles last name is Davenport.
I think they were with the Georgia 18th.
If anyone can find out any info please let me know.
I was told they lived thru Getteysburg and fought one more battle and
disappeared /unknown forever.

Here is a pic of GG Grandfather Henry S.Harden Georgia sharpshooters 4th company C
I think he fought at Chickamauga and Kennesaw Mountain and the Battle of Atlanta?
This is the only known photo of him.

Attachments

• 20210316_135530.jpg
    20210316_135530.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: