Confederate Ancestors

blackbear

These are the names of Davenport that were in the Georgia 18th Battalion Infantry,iam sure the brothers are among these but don't know how to find out any more info.right now.Will have to go thru ancestery.

A.C. Davenport Ga.18th
B.H.R. Davenport Ga18th
M.L.Davenport Ga.18th
William Davenport Ga.18th

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
The many instances of our forefathers and ancestors names being misspelled or just outright changed well cover the trail of evidence they left behind for us to investigate.
Really is the oddest thing...even within siblings of the same generation, there is that spelling difference??

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
150 years ago the records generally reflected the phonetic spelling of the name by the psrson keeping the record. Darsy might sound like Darcy or Dorsy and frequently an e got thrown in depending on who was writing it down. The same person might be recorded in the Census records with several different spellings of his name over the years from the different census takers.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Agree with the phonetic comment.

Example:
One of my Confederate ancestors was named Conrad Sellers. On one record I found his name was recorded as “ Coonrod Cellus”. It’s possible that is how he spoke his name to the recorder.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Let me give you an example in today’s time period of how things are changed. I worked for several years with a man named Meyer. He told me after working with him and knowing him for a long time that his biological brother added an s to his last name. He became
Meyers just like that. I expect that is not that uncommon,especially years ago,before government record keeping.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That happened a lot with immigrants who had their names Anglicized at Ellis Island or did it themselves to better blend with their new communities.

treemanjohn

Banned
Found this info about my Great great grandfather Whisenant.
He was born in south Carolina in 1828.
He enlisted in Gilmer county Ga. In 1864
With the Ralston Battallion of State Malitia
Served until May 1,1865 surrenderd with the company at Kingston Ga.
And filed for civil war pension application on June 10,1901 in Murry County Ga.
In my post above yours under occupation is birthplace Ellijay GA. The assassination I mentioned was also in Gilmer county

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Agree with the phonetic comment.

Example:
One of my Confederate ancestors was named Conrad Sellers. On one record I found his name was recorded as “ Coonrod Cellus”. It’s possible that is how he spoke his name to the recorder.
Haha...sister in law does her Ancestry on Conrad as surname....same results finding Coonrods

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My GG Grandfather. Two of his sons, my GGG uncles served with him. His other son was killed at the Alamo.

ThosRFloydHeadstone.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NC sounds like Christian Messer was a bad hombre', I would still hate the British for that!
What kind of name is Messer?
Christian was also half Tuscarora. Captain Robert married a Tuscarora woman named Mary Pretty Feather.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
150 years ago the records generally reflected the phonetic spelling of the name by the psrson keeping the record. Darsy might sound like Darcy or Dorsy and frequently an e got thrown in depending on who was writing it down. The same person might be recorded in the Census records with several different spellings of his name over the years from the different census takers.
Plus, different folks spelled their names differently. My mom's last name was Green. Some of the close family spelled it Greene. The running joke was that whenever somebody got a little money, they went and added an "e" to their name.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

westcobbdog

These are the names of Davenport that were in the Georgia 18th Battalion Infantry,iam sure the brothers are among these but don't know how to find out any more info.right now.Will have to go thru ancestery.

A.C. Davenport Ga.18th
B.H.R. Davenport Ga18th
M.L.Davenport Ga.18th
William Davenport Ga.18th

I see 2 Davenports in the 18th Ga Inf Regt., part of Longstreets Corp in the Army of Northern Va. looks like they signed up April 22nd, 1861 and they were in Co A “Acworth Infantry” Noticed Wofford as the units Colonel, he later made Brig. General. This unit pledged to quit fighting yankees at Appomattox Courthouse.
The “ Battle Scarred 18th”

westcobbdog

Branch Cheatham, my 92 yr old FIL’s grandfather I think, perhaps GGrandfather.
59th Virginia Inf Regt. Had his leg blown off at Petersburg but survived the war.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The 18th GA Vol Infantry was brigaded with the 16th GA, the 24th Ga, Cobb's Legion, and Phillip's Legion. The 18th joined the Brigade after the battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam) in 1862. The Brigade was commanded by Gen. TRR Cobb who was KIA at Fredericksburg. Colonel Wofford The Colonel of teh 18th was promoted to replace him.

There are several of us on here who had ancestors in the 16th GA and the 18th GA. If you have any questions as to where they were and what they did give a shout I will help where I can and, I am sure others will too.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The 18th GA Vol Infantry was brigaded with the 16th GA, the 24th Ga, Cobb's Legion, and Phillip's Legion. The 18th joined the Brigade after the battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam) in 1862. The Brigade was commanded by Gen. TRR Cobb who was KIA at Fredericksburg. Colonel Wofford The Colonel of teh 18th was promoted to replace him.

There are several of us on here who had ancestors in the 16th GA and the 18th GA. If you have any questions as to where they were and what they did give a shout I will help where I can and, I am sure others will too.

I had a GGrandpa and other kin with the 24th Ga Company C. Glad to try to help.