Contemplate On this one For A Spell

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It was 11 feet 4 inches long. Down in South Florida.
My dad used to tell about one he saw in northern FL back in the 50s. He said he had been down there working in an orange grove, and was coming back home. He was driving up a two-lane blacktop, and he said one was crossing the road, and its head was well across the yellow line, and its tail was still over the white line.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
My dad used to tell about one he saw in northern FL back in the 50s. He said he had been down there working in an orange grove, and was coming back home. He was driving up a two-lane blacktop, and he said one was crossing the road, and its head was well across the yellow line, and its tail was still over the white line.
It's things like that that make me think that the world was a better place when it was wilder and there were only a few hundred thousand of us running around on the entire planet.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
If they know the length and location of this snake, why is it not considered the record? Interesting.

Archibald Rutledge documented one killed on his South Carolina plantation that he measured at 8 feet 9 and 1/2 inches long, minus it`s entire head and part of its neck.

I don`t think rattlesnakes don`t ever quit growing, jut slow down as they get older. Same with gators.

Bananaslug22

My dad was the lead for a 3 man surveying crew here in Troup County for a local surveyor for numerous years. He told me they were surveying property for a new elementary school that was being built(Franklin Forest). There was a bunch of ground ivy growing and it was basically untouched woods for along time.
He got a call on the radio from the other guys that were some distance from him and they said “Dwayne, you need to get up here and take a look at this Copperhead that just crawled out from the ivy”
Dad said he went up there and he saw the biggest Copperhead he had ever seen in the woods and he had seen a bunch surveying. He said it went every bit of 5 ft. Been living in the ivy unbothered all those years picking off every rat/chipmunk/mole you name it.In all his years surveying he only came across one Rattlesnake and I can’t remember if it was even in Troup county when he saw it. Him and his crew walked out of the woods using a train track and walked up on it dead in the tracks. The train had cut it into three pieces as it laid across the track.