Conversation with DNR Turkey Project Biologist Emily Rushton

buckpasser

I’m not hating on you. I just prefer to leave it up to the biologist’s. My anecdotal insight from one or 2 properties isn’t scientific at all. It’s just what I see. We have a good turkey population on my lease. Not as many as 20 years ago but we have a lot more hogs now to than we did 20 years ago. I believe hogs get a good number of nests there. Nobody traps predators on our lease either.

I’m no biologist, but I do make a living in the woods managing for deer and turkeys. I respect biologists for the most part and really appreciate the ones like Killmaster that seem to rely on research AND good sense. There is a major difference in that and the word vomit the turkey biologists are relaying to us now.

buckpasser

I also find it interesting they put changes on a statewide basis instead of a localized basis where there are actually problems

Or zone us. It’s very important to them except that they are managing the entire land mass with one set of season dates. I’d like to see a map similar to the GON rut map as it relates to peak breeding/incubation/etc for GA turkeys.

buckpasser

No one has really answered my earlier thread either with certainty. Where exactly are the lows and highs for population in GA? How is it quantified? Please don’t say “gobbling activity”. If it’s in harvest, which regions/counties or whatever are better/worse. Should be easy to graph. If the season date change was a good idea, S GA is doing better than N.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Well, for starters, turkeys in my area and are the greater area of people I’m in close contact with didn’t dwindle. They dropped rapidly. “The entire southeast” is down, I keep hearing, from the scientific community. That’s a large and diverse region to be pinned on weather, hunting, burning, hahitat, etc. It just makes more sense that a disease might be the culprit. It makes at least equal sense to a picky hen, low T theory and age old season dates being wrong, wouldn’t you say?

Besides that, I have (marginally illegally, hmm, hmm) hatched and raised two clutches of wild turkeys from destroyed nests here on my property (one mowed over and one burned over nest). Here, with daily care and a brooder, feeding on a diverse diet and all the crickets they could eat, both flocks wound up suffering through avian pox or what the gamers would call “foul pox”. They took heavy losses even being babied by me behind chicken wire. Out in the bushes wandering around with swollen eyelids, I’d say they would have been basically all lost.

That’s where I’m coming from, and I’m pretty darn disappointed in the nonsense I keep hearing from both sides of the biologists mouths. On the one hand, we’re screwing them up by hunting and we need a synchronized hatch…on the other, burn away! They can renest multiple times, donchaknow!

:mad:

Were the turkeys you had around chickens?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
No one has really answered my earlier thread either with certainty. Where exactly are the lows and highs for population in GA? How is it quantified? Please don’t say “gobbling activity”. If it’s in harvest, which regions/counties or whatever are better/worse. Should be easy to graph. If the season date change was a good idea, S GA is doing better than N.

This map shows turkey harvest per square mile.

https://gadnrwrd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/6b454d3ca57044848222998c06412b9b

buckpasser

Were the turkeys you had around chickens?

Yes, I believe I did have a few mature free range chickens on the first go round. They were never in the same enclosure. The second batch I didn’t have any.

buckpasser

Thank you! I know I’m asking a lot, but is there anyway to see trends over time? Say, ten years or so? That would not only show harvests, but which way it’s trending in each county. This map appears to imply N is producing more kills than S, but it could also just be showing less hunter participation in certain areas. The “flat woods” folks don’t have no use for game check! Haha.

Dupree

I
Alabama has enacted zones for spring hunting. Why can't other states?

https://www.outdooralabama.com/seasons-and-bag-limits/turkey-season
It was brought up at the public meeting I attended to make zones for turkeys. The biologist there said “it makes it more complicated and people complain”.

The state I hunted that I have seen the most turkeys in my life was Illinois. They have multiple week long seasons and you have to have a tag for the specific week and specific county. You have to apply for tags and then leftovers are sold IN PERSON, over the counter.
That’s a lot more complicated than splitting the state of Georgia into three zones and let seasons open accordingly. I have hunted all over this state, and if I still lived in South Georgia I’d be upset over the delayed start, but it doesn’t bother me in north Georgia.

buckpasser

I

It was brought up at the public meeting I attended to make zones for turkeys. The biologist there said “it makes it more complicated and people complain”.

The state I hunted that I have seen the most turkeys in my life was Illinois. They have multiple week long seasons and you have to have a tag for the specific week and specific county. You have to apply for tags and then leftovers are sold IN PERSON, over the counter.
That’s a lot more complicated than splitting the state of Georgia into three zones and let seasons open accordingly. I have hunted all over this state, and if I still lived in South Georgia I’d be upset over the delayed start, but it doesn’t bother me in north Georgia.

Yep. I hunt Illinois too. It’s good and you must commit to county and season unless you are a landowner or greater than 40 acres, in which case you may elect to have property specific tags that can be used anytime during the season basically. Paper tags too. Not the infinitely reprintable GA type harvest record.

lampern

I've heard that before in NC as well

Pure garbage

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Thank you! I know I’m asking a lot, but is there anyway to see trends over time? Say, ten years or so? That would not only show harvests, but which way it’s trending in each county. This map appears to imply N is producing more kills than S, but it could also just be showing less hunter participation in certain areas. The “flat woods” folks don’t have no use for game check! Haha.

Game Check only goes back to 2016, so that's as far back as you can go with county-level harvest. You can select the year in that map to look at harvest distribution from each year. You are correct that hunter numbers and participation are a factor in the total harvest.

NUTT

Exactly why the Biologist can’t produce accurate information. Why wouldn’t a true sportsman provide information on harvest unless they have other intentions like over harvesting turkeys

FootLongDawg

Scientists need never be questioned. Just you remember that as this country goes over the cliff the avoid the coming heat apocalypse and oceanic flood, or was it ice age? Either way, do what they say and don’t think for yourself.

Questioning her is one thing. You called her mindless and a dingbat