Conversion ?

Big7

The Oracle
I'm in the market for a conversion van.

Will Carmax, Enterprise and places like that have one?

Looking for one to travel in. I'm tired of messing with campers.

A good van with a pop out sofa bed or something like that will work for me. Sleeper. Don't need water or toilet. We can stop for that. A small fridge that runs off the alternator will work. A carry all hooked to the ball wil be just as good. I can haul a good cooler and not worry about the fridge.

Any suggestions as to where I can buy about a 2 model years old will do it. The brand new one's are prolly more than I want to spend.

Around $15,000.00 is about as much as I can go. Lower than that would be better.

Not interested in a fixer-upper.

Thanks for suggestions and replies. ?

Big7

The Oracle
ttt ^^^^^

normaldave

GON Weatherman
This is a tough one. I'm generally a "van fan", but I've always avoided the typical aftermarket conversions. Glamorous looking, but cheaply constructed, often not laid out properly to support camping travel, big side windows end up leaking, etc.

A class B RV meets/exceeds your stated needs, but they are very pricey, even used. With your budget, you are most likely going to end up with a "fixer upper" if it was built with any decent quality originally, (i.e. Roadtrek, Sportsmobile, etc.).

We still have a Ford Club Wagon Chateau package, which in effect a factory built conversion van. 7 passenger seating, quad buckets in the first two rows, rear bench seat folds down to a bed, all ruggedly built from Ford. I think '98 was the last year with the fold down bed option in the Chateau package?

I had plans to "camperize" our van since we were tent camping out of it most of the time. No matter how I configured the plans, the van always ended up being too tight for space, a compromise in one way or the other. Another shortcoming for us and a Class B, (or C), is that you have to "break camp" to make a short local trip, packing stuff up. Otherwise, a second vehicle, or towed vehicle, and what's the point of that?

"Tired of messing with campers"...What are your goals for travel/camping, where do you plan to go, and how long do you want to stay? As far as water/potty stops, it can get old finding a decent stop these days. For a decent roof over your head comfort and convenience while traveling, I've become a believer in a cargo conversion trailer. Small, secure, easy to park and tow, easy to setup to suit your needs. Add a good quality Thetford porta toilet, and you are set. Wife said it was a "life changing" experience, no more middle of the night hikes to the bath house.

If you have a decent tow rig now, you could get into a very nicely done cargo conversion for about half your van budget, complete. Ours is primarily a toy/gear hauler, but it will give you ideas. I even use it for day trips paddling, biking. This month it goes with us to Knoxville to see a bluegrass festival. We are taking it "camping" in a friends driveway, so the dogs can come along and not be an intrusion. It is really convenient.
7x16 Cargo Conversion

A Day in the Life of a Cargo Conversion

Edit: here's one for sale:
6x16? conversion Collegedale, TN

A good quality conversion van, but from the NE, (rust).
2002 Pleasure Way Traverse pop top

Here's a traditional conversion van that actually looks to be built pretty decent. The base Chevy van is very well optioned, and the conversion company used the standard Express window van body, so factory glass.
2007 Express Majestic SSX

Majestic Van Conversions

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
This is a tough one. I'm generally a "van fan", but I've always avoided the typical aftermarket conversions. Glamorous looking, but cheaply constructed, often not laid out properly to support camping travel, big side windows end up leaking, etc.

A class B RV meets/exceeds your stated needs, but they are very pricey, even used. With your budget, you are most likely going to end up with a "fixer upper" if it was built with any decent quality originally, (i.e. Roadtrek, Sportsmobile, etc.).

We still have a Ford Club Wagon Chateau package, which in effect a factory built conversion van. 7 passenger seating, quad buckets in the first two rows, rear bench seat folds down to a bed, all ruggedly built from Ford. I think '98 was the last year with the fold down bed option in the Chateau package?

I had plans to "camperize" our van since we were tent camping out of it most of the time. No matter how I configured the plans, the van always ended up being too tight for space, a compromise in one way or the other. Another shortcoming for us and a Class B, (or C), is that you have to "break camp" to make a short local trip, packing stuff up. Otherwise, a second vehicle, or towed vehicle, and what's the point of that?

"Tired of messing with campers"...What are your goals for travel/camping, where do you plan to go, and how long do you want to stay? As far as water/potty stops, it can get old finding a decent stop these days. For a decent roof over your head comfort and convenience while traveling, I've become a believer in a cargo conversion trailer. Small, secure, easy to park and tow, easy to setup to suit your needs. Add a good quality Thetford porta toilet, and you are set. Wife said it was a "life changing" experience, no more middle of the night hikes to the bath house.

If you have a decent tow rig now, you could get into a very nicely done cargo conversion for about half your van budget, complete. Ours is primarily a toy/gear hauler, but it will give you ideas. I even use it for day trips paddling, biking. This month it goes with us to Knoxville to see a bluegrass festival. We are taking it "camping" in a friends driveway, so the dogs can come along and not be an intrusion. It is really convenient.
7x16 Cargo Conversion

A Day in the Life of a Cargo Conversion

Edit: here's one for sale:
6x16? conversion Collegedale, TN

A good quality conversion van, but from the NE, (rust).
2002 Pleasure Way Traverse pop top

Here's a traditional conversion van that actually looks to be built pretty decent. The base Chevy van is very well optioned, and the conversion company used the standard Express window van body, so factory glass.
2007 Express Majestic SSX

Majestic Van Conversions

Thanks for the reply dave. Very informative and much appreciated.

The short version of the tow rig is, I've had a lot of surgeries here lately. Some of that time I was in a coma and my family moved my truck to my Uncle's farm. He had to cut the grass and cranking the truck, it caught on fire, practically exploded and almost killed him when he turned the key. Had to be squirrels or chipmunks chewed the gas line. I had that thing packed with tools and gear. TOTAL LOSS.

Anyhooo, when I got back where I was able to drive, I started looking for a truck. I bought thst last one and the one before- new. I wanted to find something decent, low- mileage. I almost thought I was seeing things when I looked at the sticker. The first time I understood what sticker was.?

So, that's what brought me to this point.

I had been retired 2 1/2 years before I had the surgeries. Now, I'm on disability. That's some extra money.

Since I am looking to travel extensively, I thought maybe a decent van would be the ticket. My thought was it would not be much worse on gas than a truck and if I bought a truck as a tow vehicle, I'd still have to deal with a camper. I've had a nice 30 footer for playing and a little 16 footer I didn't worry about dragging through the woods or leaving it at deer camp year- round.

Also thought a van would be good because Boss Hen could drive if we decided to drive shifts on long trips while the other one slept in the back.

Just mainly need to be highly mobile, a place to sleep and something where we can stay cool/warm sleep.

Thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated.?

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Check out the sprinter type cargo vans. Lots of room and some can be found with diesel.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Check out the sprinter type cargo vans. Lots of room and some can be found with diesel.
but not 2 years old and $15,000

That is probably more in line with 7 or 8 year old van...maybe, if you are lucky

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I forgot about your medical challenges...A van is often overlooked, but quite capable, and of course loads of utility. No worse than the truck on fuel as you said.

Good visibility out the front, easier to park than a truck due to the short nose, for you or the missus. Nice to have walk through access to the rest of the vehicle, unlike a truck, more headroom to move around than a SUV.

No, they aren't glamorous, but hard to beat for utility. That also makes them a deal in the used market from time to time. I prefer window vans vs. cargo, but to keep warm, you'd need to really insulate either style.

This one actually looks pretty decently done. Reliable GM 6.0L, 3500 series, extended.
2005 GMC 3500 Extended conversion

Now here's a good starter package. Get this one, sell the wheelchair lift, install middle bucket seats, and hit the road.
2007 E-150 chair lift van

Hey, they are coming out of the woodwork, this one has great potential, good engine 3/4 ton chassis, so the ride is good, low miles, fleet maintained. You'd want to pull/replace the bench seats to a sleeping platform etc. but a great platform to start with. I'm a Ford guy mostly, but this Chevy Express looks really good.
G2500 express passenger

Big 7 hitting the highway...::ke:
05 Express Conversion
00z0z_8cUzCLmqmXx_600x450.jpg

Now we're talking, a nicely done home built conversion, using a genuine Sportsmobile pop top roof.
99 Dodge Ram Wagon with Sportsmobile top
00505_7XVLu5UzIJK_600x450.jpg

I like spending other people's money...:smash:

Last edited: