Copperhead or banded water snake? update: Thanks for all of the replys.

JEG60

Found this guy dead in the road not far from a lake. I'm saying it's a banded water snake. My neighbor said it is a Copperhead. Any help is appreciated.snake 1.jpgsnake 3.jpgsnake 4.jpg

shdw633

I'm just guessing based on what has come out before on this board but I think it's a Red Banded Watersnake.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Common water snake, looks like.

Lindseys Grandpa

All the water snakes in my lake have in past been gray but ones looking like that have just shown up this year and I saw 6 at one time the other day . Don’t know where they come from .

Attachments

• E0B5F7FF-B211-4922-9E77-A13183C449EB.jpeg
    E0B5F7FF-B211-4922-9E77-A13183C449EB.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 40

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Brown Water Snake:
Brownwatersnake2.jpg

While we're on the subject, if your neighbor ever invites you to go snake hunting...politely decline. :smash:

And if Nicodemus isn't around, this is pretty good for our area:
Snakes of SC and Georgia

Last edited:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Not even close to being a copperhead.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Copperhead, picture we took at Lake Conasauga 2010.
dsc03013-jpg.1012500

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Hard to say from the picture, it is zoomed in. We are guessing 3'+ easy. If you look in the upper left of the picture, the brown "square" is the bottom of a Forest Service Trail sign post. 4x4? Might give a better perspective. There is a twig/branch about 11:00 in the photo, not hard to imagine it being almost a foot long, as twigs often grow be. :bounce:

That's the big sign our middle school-age son walked up to "finish" the hike, and nearly stepped on the lethargic copperhead stretched out in what sun he could find. Slowly eased back, after asking "Mom, is this what I think it is?" Yep. Ol' Copperhead eased on his way, no harm no foul. It's an 18-mile drive up the mountain on twisty dirt road, and even farther to the nearest medical center once you get back down.

Our crew is fairly snake aware/friendly but accidents do happen, glad the Lord provided for us on that day. A beautiful but deadly reptile.

I’m saying banded water snake. You cannot tell 100% from the picture because the bands will go all the way around towards the head

Tight Lines

It is a common water snake, neither a copperhead nor a banded water snake...I was wrong as well, thought it was the king snake at first...Southeast Reptile Rescue herpetologist identified it...

Tight Lines

Although a common name for the common is banded...

Common names for Nerodia sipedon include banded water snake, black water adder, black water snake, brown water snake, common water snake, common northern water snake, eastern water snake, North American water snake, northern banded water snake, northern water snake, spotted water snake, streaked snake, water pilot, and water snake