Cost of Rebarreling

I found a take off barrel for my old model 7. How much will a gunsmith charge to put it on and get it accurate for hunting.

georgiaboy

In my experience you will pay $300 at least. This would include squaring the action, rechambering, the whole nine yards. If it is a Model 7 take-off then it should be much less, but I would pay the $ to have my receiver squared. The more you do , the more you pay for machine work.

weagle

Model 7 and 700 barrels will both work. All you need to do is have the old one taken off and the new one screwed on and the headspace checked/adjusted. Most reminton barrels will screw right on and the headspace will be within spec, but if the barrel had open sights, you will also want to have the barrel installed so the the sights are top dead center.

$100 should cover it.

I agree with Georgia boy that if you want the whole 9 yards you are going to pay a lot more, but if you decide to go that route, I'd also look at one of the high end barrels like pacnor or lothar walther.

When it comes to remington model 7/700's you will usually come out better to just sell or trade your rifle for one that is chambered like you want. The exception would be if you want a full blown blueprinted rifle or a hard to find chambering.

Weagle

CK'n

re-barrel $

I charge $175 in labor. That does include chambering, squareing (receiver & barrel), and crowning. No bluing. Most barrels after squaring need some chambering work. I do include drilling & tapping for scope bases or open sights if they are in the old barrel. Then there is squaring the receiver too.... can take 1/2 a day sometimes which means I am not meeting my overhead costs.

There are cheaper gunsmiths. They unscrew the old one, screw in the new one, check the headspace....and hand it back to you.

You get what you pay for.

Take care,
Chris

georgiaboy

If it is the same caliber why are you wanting to rebarrel? If accuracy is falling off, maybe a GOOD cleaning will fill the bill?

weagle

I have used skaggs gunsmithing for a straight up barrel swap and was happy with both the speed and quality of his work.

http://www.skaggsgunsmithing.com/

His standard charge is $55 for a plain rebarrel and he had my gun back to me in 8 days :clap: The thing I like about him is he will do as much or as little as you want done.

Weagle