Coyote Hunt Thread 2024

furtaker

Fact, I just got to big for my britches and was gonna show off and truth be told I screwed up bad on this one. The yote was on a path that would have had him less than 50 yards out. A 3.5" load of #4 Buck is pretty bad medicine inside 60 years
It is but the recoil will nearly give you brain damage and you can forget a quick follow up shot. A 2.75 or 3 inch is just as deadly if your gun patterns it well.

chase870

Possum Sox
It is but the recoil will nearly give you brain damage and you can forget a quick follow up shot. A 2.75 or 3 inch is just as deadly if your gun patterns it well.
Over the years I've done a few things to the supermag that help with recoil but you are right it will rock your world if you dont hang on to it, even the 3 inch load is a beast. Gun patterns pretty well with The dead coyote choke #4 Buck and a lengthened forcing cone

furtaker

Over the years I've done a few things to the supermag that help with recoil but you are right it will rock your world if you dont hang on to it, even the 3 inch load is a beast. Gun patterns pretty well with The dead coyote choke #4 Buck and a lengthened forcing cone
My Mossberg 835 shooting 3.5 inch is too much for me. The forearm will make my hand bleed if I'm not holding it correctly. I just don't need all that to kill a coyote. The only thing you're gaining with the 3.5 inch is more shot. 2.75 and 3 inch have higher fps and better penetration.

chase870

Possum Sox
My Mossberg 835 shooting 3.5 inch is too much for me. The forearm will make my hand bleed if I'm not holding it correctly. I just don't need all that to kill a coyote. The only thing you're gaining with the 3.5 inch is more shot. 2.75 and 3 inch have higher fps and better penetration.
True the higher the velocity the greater the penetration

Yotedawg

5/7/24
3 hunters
243 and 6 creeds w/thermal
Grady county fields
70° with SSW wind
Mfk, Tebbe, Foxpro vocals
0 heard
2 seen
1 killed

We haven’t been out in a couple of months. We gave the dawgs a break while the females went to den to have pups. Finally got back out last night for a couple of sets and it didnt take long. Called in a pair and we were able to take this female. Would have loved to get them closer but the male was already in our wind and they knew something wasn’t right. Another south Georgia dawg down.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 6

chase870

Possum Sox
5 May 24
1 Hunter
220 Swift with thermal
Oglethorpe County food plot
Dark moon light wind
foxpro baby cottontail, hello howls, and pound town
3 heard
0 seen
0 killed

Hunted my place in Oglethorpe I figured it would be interesting since they clear cut a bunch of property all around it, and a fire got out of control awhile back and burned what wasnt cut and about 1/3 of our planted pines, plus I think there may be a few otters in the pond that need to go. Set up on the dame and watched the pond a while, no otters. I had two groups light up while I was looking for the otters, so I moved to the food plot. While putting out the call I had a old alpha male howl some and he barked a bit. I don't think he busted me, the wind was right and he couldn't see me.
We didnt range it or step it off but I guestimated it to be a little north of 250. If the wind wasn’t blowing right to them, we would have preferred to get them a lot closer.
It's always nice to kill em at that range. Did all of you shoot at the same time, how many hits? One of my buddies and I shoot well together and its nice when we both connect.

Yotedawg

5 May 24
1 Hunter
220 Swift with thermal
Oglethorpe County food plot
Dark moon light wind
foxpro baby cottontail, hello howls, and pound town
3 heard
0 seen
0 killed

Hunted my place in Oglethorpe I figured it would be interesting since they clear cut a bunch of property all around it, and a fire got out of control awhile back and burned what wasnt cut and about 1/3 of our planted pines, plus I think there may be a few otters in the pond that need to go. Set up on the dame and watched the pond a while, no otters. I had two groups light up while I was looking for the otters, so I moved to the food plot. While putting out the call I had a old alpha male howl some and he barked a bit. I don't think he busted me, the wind was right and he couldn't see me.

It's always nice to kill em at that range. Did all of you shoot at the same time, how many hits? One of my buddies and I shoot well together and its nice when we both connect.
We all shot. Two of us shot at this dog and the other at the male. The male was missed. I shot at this one as well as Strick. I didn't check to see if she was hit twice.