Coyotes! Give me a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmbhanger

Banned
I have read about these viscious coyotes who have decimated GA's deer population and I am wondering if it is safe to take a another trip down, I don't weigh more than an average 2.5 year old buck.

Seriously, do you really think coyotes have an impact! I examine every coyote pile I foind and never have I found the first trace of deer hair. All rabbits and squirrels, and maybe a house cat. I ain't buying that coyotes are responsible for deer pop. declines.

A mature deer doe or buck can run circles around a coyote and mother does will defend fawns like a cornered grizzly bear. However, those who feel that corn is a great way to feed deer might provide an easy ambush point for the yote.
Just something to think about.

More deer die from disease and old age then from a 35 lb coyote. Expecially when the woods are full of squirrels,mice,rats, and other vermin. Coyotes are weak excuse and probably benefit the herd by picking off the sick or injured animals.

leadoff

GONetwork Member
lmbhanger said:
I have read about these viscious coyotes who have decimated GA's deer population and I am wondering if it is safe to take a another trip down, I don't weigh more than an average 2.5 year old buck.

Seriously, do you really think coyotes have an impact! I examine every coyote pile I foind and never have I found the first trace of deer hair. All rabbits and squirrels, and maybe a house cat. I ain't buying that coyotes are responsible for deer pop. declines.

A mature deer doe or buck can run circles around a coyote and mother does will defend fawns like a cornered grizzly bear. However, those who feel that corn is a great way to feed deer might provide an easy ambush point for the yote.
Just something to think about.

More deer die from disease and old age then from a 35 lb coyote. Expecially when the woods are full of squirrels,mice,rats, and other vermin. Coyotes are weak excuse and probably benefit the herd by picking off the sick or injured animals.

Good point....Even the most experienced coyote of them all, Wile E. Coyote, was never able to have any success. :rolleyes:

I could care less about what coyotes do to deer...I have seen what they are capable of doing to livestock. :mad:

Randy

I do not think they hurt the deer population near as much as the turkey population. But in either case I shoot all I can.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
I believe wild/loose dogs do more harm than coyotes but I will continue to atleast try to rid my property of everyone I can because they do put a hurtin on rabbits, an occasional turkey and quail and I do not like that!

RJY66

lmbhanger said:

Seriously, do you really think coyotes have an impact! .

They probably take a few fawns but my personal feeling is that they have a limited impact at the margin.

Buford_Dawg

I think impact is minimal

on the deer population, but have seen 2 coyotes chasing a small deer several years ago. It happend so quick, I only got off a quick shot at the Yotes who turned off the deers path and went other way. I have seen more dogs chasing deer than yotes personally. Certainly, the yotes have to eat and small deer would be nice I'm sure, but don't believe they have too much impact.

captainhook

The only deer/coyote problem I have witnessed first hand is that they can find a downed deer very quickly. When I have found deer hair in coyote droppings it has almost always been after a deer was shot and lost. I have seen video of two coyotes taking down a large buck that appeared healthy. It was gruesome. You may be able to find it in the Drury Brothers archives. I think this is the exception to the rule however it was an eye-opener.

CPiper

I did some reading last week, some new info on yotes.
In a "bad" year the fawn mortality rate can be 20-25% and a healthy deer herd can sustain that sort of rate.
This % includes weather related deaths, all preds, natural causes, vehicles ... the whole enchilada ... so, what % do you think the yotes get, what this new study showed??
It did show that yotes did get a few adult deer, which amazed me. They did however manage to get more of the old, weak, sick, dieing and some fawns - which did not amaze me. They fed more on deer that were already dead vs killing live ones. The % was in the low single digits, 3-5max % by this study.

This backs up what I have experienced and "felt" all along. Coyotes are not a BIG natural predator and God's intention for them was not to be a major player in helping keep the deer population in check.
And like Randy, I/we do shoot everyone we can, and I/we do think they take a heavy toll on quail and turkey!!

Wild dogs? Pets gone wild? Stray Pets? Yes, they do take a heavy toll on deer, especially in areas of long, cold and harsh winters, where the snow can get deep.

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
GAGE said:
I believe wild/loose dogs do more harm than coyotes but I will continue to atleast try to rid my property of everyone I can because they do put a hurtin on rabbits, an occasional turkey and quail and I do not like that!
I agree. Seems like the yotes are eating more persimmons now than anything but we trap em to aid the rabbit, turkey and quail population :cheers:

lmbhanger

Banned
Here is a note on coyotes. Something in their genes clicks and when they start dying off by guns, cars, whatever they produce larger litters. I don't shoot em, maybe I should. No on the darn deer chasing dogs a 7mm X bullet stops the heart beat awfully quick.

I have a low tolerance for free ranging dogs and have quite a collection of collars to prove it. Apologies to anyone who has lost fifi to my A-bolt but keep your dogs in their yard and they won't meet an untimely death.

Just 1 More

I have a low tolerance for free ranging dogs and have quite a collection of collars to prove it. Apologies to anyone who has lost fifi to my A-bolt but keep your dogs in their yard and they won't meet an untimely death.

I killed 7 in 1 year

lmbhanger

Banned
Awesome. Any collars, I have some good ones maybe I will post some pics later. Got one with both a rabies tag and the dogs name, he was a large poodle and his name was ginger. Felt like I was putting him out of his misery with a name like that.

I think there out to be a P&Y dog club. I despise deer chasing dogs and will ruin an entire weekend if I think they are on the prowl.

Randy

lmbhanger said:
Something in their genes clicks and when they start dying off by guns, cars, whatever they produce larger litters. I don't shoot em, maybe I should. No on the darn deer chasing dogs a 7mm X bullet stops the heart beat awfully quick.

They don't necessarly produce larger litters but they will reproduce to the point of the carrying capacity. Never the less I shoot them given the chance even though i know I am making no impact on their population.

My apologies to you but I, along with many hunters I know, would prefer that you do not post about killing domestic dogs here or on any other "hunting" site. You have to do what you have to do but it is not good in the non-hunting public's eye for hunters to go around saying I kill your FIFI! Thanks for refrainig from it here.

In fact, I think those kinds of statements could be considered offensive and in violation of the rules and guidelines of this site. If I were a moderator I would pull any such comments.

Last edited:

Just 1 More

Randy.. 3 of the ones I killed I shot off the back end of a 5pt buck they had chased to the point of exhaustion.. The buck WALKED away tired and a little bloody but none of the dogs walked away.. and yes.. 1 had a collar on. We had 8,000 acres and had a bad problem with a pack of 10 or more of these wild dogs. . even had a few guys get growled at going to and from their stands

Randy

Just 1 More said:
Randy.. 3 of the ones I killed I shot off the back end of a 5pt buck they had chased to the point of exhaustion.. The buck WALKED away tired and a little bloody but none of the dogs walked away.. and yes.. 1 had a collar on. We had 8,000 acres and had a bad problem with a pack of 10 or more of these wild dogs. . even had a few guys get growled at going to and from their stands
Do what you have to do but it does not look good for us hunters!

CPiper

Being a dog lover and a dog man that legally and safely engages in using hounds to hunt deer, I take a serious and deep offence to any one that calls him/her self a hunter and murders an identifiable dog.
A stray dog with no collar, bang away. But a dog that has a collar, you owe it to the dog to TRY to send the dog home.
As your hammering and braggin away of poor ol Fido, remember that the American Humane Societ has deep pockets and clout in big name circles, and that WE hunters do NOT need yet another label as DOG killers.
Take my X wife, she was/is a non hunter, but she is a dog LOVER. She dont care if we hunt deer or how we hunt deer, but she does and did care if a dog got killed senselesly - she didnt care if the dog wasnt yours and it came on your land - she didnt and dont care how it got there - she does and did and will continue to care if you shoot the collared identifiable dog .... and how many other NON hunters are there JUST LIKE HER? BUNCHES!! ANd we dont need the publicity!! Just something you need to think about before you hammer another dog with a collar on it.

Thank You Randy! This dog man appreciates your comments. ;)

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
This thread is headed South and any value that it could have has been stated.

Into the lock box.

Status
Not open for further replies.