Crazy names

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Things have a way of getting corrected over time.
There is also something to be said for respect for history and tradition. White Americans changing the spelling of an ancient Gaelic name to suit the spelling to themselves aren't far from the black woman naming her kid La-a because spelling is outside her skillset.

Resica

My mother's first name is Myrna, after Myrna Loy, Her sisters name is Mary Ladene, we call her Ladene. Grandma found the name in the paper.

oldfella1962

I had a great-grandpa named Rufus Quantillion Sanford. :oops: Yes, he was white, looked kinda like Theodore Roosevelt. He was apparently a mean old son of a gun.

There is a Cherokee family on the rez near here whose family name is Bigmeat. They are internationally famous potters.
I will refrain from making any joke about the name Bigmeat.

Liberty

Well my Daddy left home when I was three, he didn’t leave much for Ma and me .......

Core Lokt

Shaqueeta Bigums is a lady at works name. There are may strange names where I work. Not sure why either..

Mars

A friend in college worked as an announcer at the Bulloch Co rec department. One of the little girl's names was spelled Shadownasty. No quite sure how it was supposed to be pronounced but apparently it not the was its spelled and how he pronounced over the speakers.

There is a nice lady that has worked at the local Piggly Wiggly most of my life whose name is spelled and pronounced Lasagna.

As for my family, my grandpa had a first cousin named Elmo.

ucfireman

Had hispanic girl on bus named Heaven Sent.
Actually like that one
Worked with a fella named Washington Tubner.
You guessed it, Everybody called him Wash Tub.
Like that one too
My Moms mom was Verlula...Great Aunt Thelma...not bad
My dads mom was Susie, normal name...Great Aunt Allie...again Normal... Other great aunt...
Phearbe

All born early 1900's
Phearbe, interesting. Pronounced "fear be"?
My memaws mom was Inkabo. Paws mom was Birdie and his dad was Izekeal. They called him Zeak.
Inkabo, nice
Actually, Sean is the original and correct spelling of that name. It's Gaelic, and dates back to about 1100 AD. Shawn is a recent and incorrect spelling.
I'm offended, Southern phonetic spelling is correct, Shawn!.
Now Shon and Shaun are wrong.
Shaqueeta Bigums is a lady at works name. There are may strange names where I work. Not sure why either..
I don't buy it, but might be related to Bubba from Forest Gump.

belle&bows

Actually Phearbe with long a and short e

Meriwether Mike

When my wife worked at Parkland Hospital there was a baby boy named Nuclear Jones.

• Wow
Reactions: Dub

GeorgiaGlockMan

I had a great-grandpa named Rufus Quantillion Sanford. :oops: Yes, he was white, looked kinda like Theodore Roosevelt. He was apparently a mean old son of a gun.

There is a Cherokee family on the rez near here whose family name is Bigmeat. They are internationally famous potters.
A buddy of mine is direct descendant of chief Bushyhead.

BushyHead is his middle name.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just did another one. Swati Vatsa...

There are some strange/different names in this agency
That's probably a very normal name, just on the other side of the planet.

oldfella1962

That's probably a very normal name, just on the other side of the planet.
Agree! My wife goes to a few Indian doctors. Some of those names are something else! African (actual Africans) names are pretty wild sounding too.