Crock Pot pulled pork

JonathanG2013

I do not have a smoker. Making pulled pork for a get together this evening at 7:00. I bought a 8 pound boston butt and seasoned it with rub. It has been in the slow cooker in low since 6:30 AM and has an internal temp of 97 degrees. The slow cooker is set to cook on low for 10 hours.

Should I keep it on low or change it to high for cooking? just worried about it not being done in time with keeping it on low.

Thanks for the advise guys.

georgia_home

With shoulders and butts, we usually do 7-8hrs. Low.. 4hrs if we set on high, time permitting, we prefer low.

its usually right on the mark.

we just add a bottle or 2 of bbq sauce, usually baby rays, or the Kroger store mustard one, that covers almost all of the meat. Maybe a little extra other stuff. Mustard, some of these dried peppers with seeds removed.

we flip it two or 3 times. If it’s starting to fall apart before the timer, we’ll call it done and shut off the pot.. but the 7-8 is usually about right. Depending on size.

JonathanG2013

With shoulders and butts, we usually do 7-8hrs. Low.. 4hrs if we set on high, time permitting, we prefer low.

its usually right on the mark.

we just add a bottle or 2 of bbq sauce, usually baby rays, or the Kroger store mustard one, that covers almost all of the meat. Maybe a little extra other stuff. Mustard, some of these dried peppers with seeds removed.

we flip it two or 3 times. If it’s starting to fall apart before the timer, we’ll call it done and shut off the pot.. but the 7-8 is usually about right. Depending on size.

Georgia

Do you add the BBQ Sauce on the butt while it is cooking or after you pull it when it is done?

hopper

Georgia

Do you add the BBQ Sauce on the butt while it is cooking or after you pull it when it is done?
Not to hijack his response but we do it while cooking. We have done low and hi without much difference in taste. High is little more firm which I kinda like.

georgia_home

yes. Both. Don’t need a rub with the sauce. You can do it, but the sauce has great flavor.

just put meat in, and start… sometimes we may add a little cholula too… but mostly just the sauce

once in the sammich, or place, a little extra works. Sometimes we just take some from the crock and top

Georgia

Artfuldodger

Every crock pot is different. I've got one that cooks too hot even on low. I would leave it on low and just shut it off when it seems to fall off the bone.
What about a thinner Carolina vinegar sauce for cooking, remove the meat and shred, then back in the drained crock pot with your thicker sauce?

Last edited:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Can't help. I've not done one this way myself but the responses seem good to me. Maybe add some smoky type of McCormick seasoning.

specialk

Sprinkle rub on after you take it out....i do this even with the ones i smoke....

JonathanG2013

Thanks everyone for all of the tips. I also have a temp probe in the meat. Once it meets the set temp, and alarm will sound.

I think because of it being an 8 pound butt. The juices are almost up to the top of the crock pot. It should help make it tender also.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Every crock pot is different. I've got one that cooks too hot even on low. I would leave it on low and just shut it off when it seems to fall off the bone.
What about a thinner Carolina vinegar sauce for cooking, remove the meat and shred, then back in the drained crock pot with your thicker sauce?
Yes sir, North Cackolacky bbq sauce does wonders

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I make one with cranberries @ Thanksgiving