CVA Optima Pistol???

longbowdave1

Anybody own or shoot one???? Looks like a fun hand cannon!

14" fluted barrel
.50 caliber w/209 ignition
Weaver base scope mount rail

Attachments

• CVA Pistol.jpg
    CVA Pistol.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 7,448

stiles1682

Yes Sir, i bought one at Adventure Outdoors back in February. It is without a doubt the funnest muzzleloader ibe shot. Couldnt quit actually till i ran out a powder. Cant wait to take it hunting, i got it sighted it in at 50 yds with 100 grains and its deadly! Im actually gonna take it along with my other Optima rifle for a follow up shot.

stiles1682

It will shoot a 150 grain of powder but the barrel is too short to burn all the powder and you get less performance out of it. Ill take a 100 yard shot with a good steady rest.

longbowdave1

Thanks for the tip. I hope to sight it in when it comes in. May be a few weeks before I can get to the gun range.

When ever I take my son out for any of the gun seasons think I'll be packing this for my only gun just to put the fun back in the gun hunt. Most of our shots seem to be under 50 yards and often under 20 anyway.

Do you have a holster or a sling for it???

stiles1682

I got a sling, it tucks nicely under my arm. Looked for a holster but decided i liked the sling. I would love to take deer, black bear, hog and turkey with it. If you love modern muzzleloading then I promise youll love this pistol. I think im gonna go with a red dot scope though, the pistol scope i have is a little too long.

longbowdave1

The fun has begun. Got the the pistola today and cleaned it up getting ready for some shootin'! Got a 2-7x scope on there and a sling. Going to try and shoot her for the first time this weekend if I can get away. Going to go with 90gr. of loose powder and the Hornady 250gr. sabots for starters. What a beast of a pistol!(I mean that in a good way!)

Attachments

• CvaOptima 50 cal. pistol 001.jpg
    CvaOptima 50 cal. pistol 001.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 15,272
  • CvaOptima 50 cal. pistol 002.jpg
    CvaOptima 50 cal. pistol 002.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 8,364

snook24

thats awesome! I think im gonna have to look into this also!

GregoryB.

How is the recoil with 100grs of powder ? I shoot the Traditions Vortex pistol with 70gr of loose 777 (not reccomended) and its not bad. My wrist is basically tied together with some ligaments from my arm and I dont to mess it up too much more.

longbowdave1

Just got back from our roadtrip. Friday morning we went to the gun range and test fired the Optima. I was really impressed with the pistol! It has a very nice trigger pull, and is deadly accurate using the 90 grains of Pioneer loose powder and the Horandy Sabot. No problems what so ever with the kick of the gun, even after firing about 25 rounds through it. The boy also fired about 5 rounds through it before I was able to get it back from him.

I have it dialed in at 50 yards, very thick where we hunt and it's hard to see a deer at yards. This was the most fun I ever had firing any kind of firearm! What a blast.

stiles1682

Glad to hear you liked the pistol! It is a blast to shoot, i would say the recoil is less than a 44 magnum. Not bad at all, muzzle rise is worse than the kick to me. It is really fun to shoot and I hope i can take some animals this season with it!

snook24

Im sure it does fine but would be interested to hear how it does at 100 yards...I really want one of these now

longbowdave1

Stiles I will give it a try all of the upcoming gun seasons this fall. I haven't shot a deer in years with a gun. I like to use the longbow the best. My son is at the age where he wants to hunt with all weapons, gun, bow, and muzzleloader. When ever I take him out for the gun seasons, I'm only going to use the 50 cal. pistol, recent change
oa to the muzzleloade seasons up here now allow a scope and a pistol loadable only from the breech and firing only a single projectile without reloading.

Snook, I did all the shooting at 50 yards. Before we left the range, I took one last poke at the sand back stop a110 yards. I hit the log they had standing up, I was impressed with the pistol. I'm sure it's more acurate than I am at 100+ yards! I like shooting the deer under twenty yards better, just like with a bow!

Cheapest price I found was at "Cheaper Than Dirt" out of Texas. $232 mailed right to you door in a few days.

snook24

Oh its more fun up close that's for sure! I found it for $300 so thanks for the cheaper than dirt price...next paycheck this is gonna have to happen!

snook24

Yeah I'm def getting one before deer season so I'll post a pick when I get mine Ive been looking for a single shot bp pistol for awhile but they were hard to find but apparently this maker and another came out with them this year or last so now it's a must! What scope did you put on it and how did it do? How's quality and eye relief?