CVA Optima PRO

HuntinJake_23

I have an older model CVA Optima Pro 50 cal muzzleloader that I’ve had for about 10 years. It’s been a good rifle since I got it, and I’ve had good groups when shooting it. Today I took it to the range to get ready for muzzleloader season and it was all over the place, I won’t be hunting with it. My question is, would CVA sell a replacement barrel or should I just get a new muzzleloader?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You don't say what all over the place is, for some it is a 3 inch group at 100 yards. That wouldn't be me any more. LOL There is nearly always a reason and I doubt that you have worn out the barrel. I would start investigating but If you need it in the morning it might be too late.

Investigate:
Action lockup: Rust or crud that might cause a problem
Action Screw too loose
Bore or chamber issues: Sometimes a ring forms at the chamber that makes consistent load seating a problem which leads to ignition issues.
Scope mounting or internal issues
Bad Powder.
Different bullet or sabot.
Damage to the crown of the muzzle.
Shooting from a hard rest.
& Etc.

HuntinJake_23

@JustUs4All

Blue- 1st shot
Yellow - 2nd shot
Green - 3rd shot
Red - 4th shot
Black - 5th shot

And I broke it down and cleaned it between the 3rd and 4th shot.

The first picture is my wife’s CVA Wolfe with the same powder load and power belt bullet: both at 50 yards. I’ll try the scope first

Attachments

• 80EF0C35-3590-4C94-8625-52DDFC7FE30E.jpeg
    80EF0C35-3590-4C94-8625-52DDFC7FE30E.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 09EF896A-7086-47B3-AEB8-F2FBFCDC88B6.jpeg
    09EF896A-7086-47B3-AEB8-F2FBFCDC88B6.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 18

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Please let us know the outcome of this. Others following along behind will have similar problems.

Buckman18

My TC Encore did the exact same thing. After much aggravation and trial & error, I noticed one of the bullets tumbled. The hole in the paper was the shape of a bullet standing up on end.

Out with the power belts. I temporarily changed to tc cheap sabots to get me by, and eventually took nchillbillys suggestion and got some tc maxi hunter 350 gr. Problem solved and those bullets drop deer in their tracks.

rugerfan

As far as a knew barrel you could try but I highly doubt that CVA would supply that, as the older "PRO" models are now discontinued. As others have stated swap out the scope to see what it does. Makes sure the mounts are tight. Give the inside of the barrel a good scrubbing in case there is any copper fouling. For the price that the barrel may cost you, it may just be worth getting a Wolf or an Optima V2, but without 100 percent knowing that the barrels are unavailable, I am just guessing.

Good luck to you and let us know what happens.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I just bought one used and it’s shooting 3” groups. Mine has iron sights. Maybe shoot a group with those?

the Lackster

Please let us know the outcome of this. Others following along behind will have similar problems.
Literally going through this with my wolf right now! Same situation but with a 300gr Hornady sst, 90gr of blackhorn, and cci shotshell primer. The same combo that I have always used. Took it out thus year and it's jumping from end to end on target.
Thinking it was the scope I took it off. Took the mounts off, cleaned/inspected the mount base, reassembled with NEW glass. Back to the range with the same problem.

Driving me crazy because it's all of the sudden! Gun has always shot within a minute and now it closer to 4.

rugerfan

Literally going through this with my wolf right now! Same situation but with a 300gr Hornady sst, 90gr of blackhorn, and cci shotshell primer. The same combo that I have always used. Took it out thus year and it's jumping from end to end on target.
Thinking it was the scope I took it off. Took the mounts off, cleaned/inspected the mount base, reassembled with NEW glass. Back to the range with the same problem.

Driving me crazy because it's all of the sudden! Gun has always shot within a minute and now it closer to 4.

Copper fouling in the barrel? I had a similar problem with a Winchester Model 70 a few years back, scrubbed the barrel with copper solvent and my accuracy came right back.

the Lackster

Copper fouling in the barrel? I had a similar problem with a Winchester Model 70 a few years back, scrubbed the barrel with copper solvent and my accuracy came right back.
What did you scrub with a bore brush?

rugerfan

Yes and some hoppes copper solvent.

I plugged the end of the barrel with pieces of paper towel, then I poured the solvent in bore side, let it sit for a couple of hours then I used a bore brush. Afterwards I cleaned it with normal patches, the patches came out blue and purple. I cleaned it until they came out bright white.

But you said you were shooting 300 gr sst's in a sabot right? Maybe it is plastic fouling from the sabot. In that case I don't know what the answer would be. Because the bullet would never touch the rifling's in your case.

Last edited:

the Lackster

Yes and some hoppes copper solvent.

I plugged the end of the barrel with pieces of paper towel, then I poured the solvent in bore side, let it sit for a couple of hours then I used a bore brush. Afterwards I cleaned it with normal patches, the patches came out blue and purple. I cleaned it until they came out bright white.

But you said you were shooting 300 gr sst's in a sabot right? Maybe it is plastic fouling from the sabot. In that case I don't know what the answer would be. Because the bullet would never touch the rifling's in your case.
Correct, all my loads have been with a sabot. Surely plain solvent and a brush would be cutting all that plastic foul?

rugerfan

Correct, all my loads have been with a sabot. Surely plain solvent and a brush would be cutting all that plastic foul?

I would think so to, so not sure what other advice to give you. Might want to google it and see what other products may be available to battle that. Good luck and I would be interested to find out what fixes your problem.