dawgs get verbal from leonard floyd

rex upshaw

#6 for 2012

http://rivals.yahoo.com/uga/football/recruiting/player-Leonard-Floyd-116612

Dodge County LB Leonard Floyd commits to UGA over Alabama and Florida
1:40 pm April 28, 2011, by Michael Carvell

Dodge County linebacker Leonard Floyd committed to Georgia on Thursday.

The 6-foot-6, 221-pounder picked the Bulldogs over his other two finalists, SEC rivals Alabama and Florida. He is Georgia’s sixth commitment for its 2012 football recruiting class.

“He’s ecstatic about it,” said Dodge County assistant Ricky Collins. “He has been smiling at school all day. Everybody has been congratulating him on choosing Georgia. It really has been a great day for Leonard.”

Floyd made starts at tight end, wide reciever and defensive end at Dodge County last season. He will likely play linebacker at Georgia.

“I haven’t seen him play yet, so I don’t know much about him,” said Dodge County’s Rex Hodges, who started his new job as the team’s head coach last week. “But he’s obviously got good size. And from what I’ve seen, he moves good … those are always two things that colleges are looking for.”

Floyd decided to commit on Thursday because he was ready to direct his attention to his senior year of high school football and academics. “He wanted to get the recruiting process over so he could focus on the things he needs to focus on,” Collins said. “He wanted to get that out of the way. He felt like it was time to go ahead and commit.”

Last season as a junior, Floyd started the first seven games at tight end and shifted to split end for the final three. He caught 29 passes for 549 yards and 3 touchdowns. On defense, Floyd had 81 tackles, 14.5 tackles for losses and 6 sacks.

“There’s a lot that Leonard has got to do before anything comes to reality, but Georgia is a good place — there’s no doubt about that,” Hodges said.

Floyd’s friendship with Georgia’s coaching staff, especially assistant Scott Lakatos, was a deciding factor in picking the Bulldogs over the other two SEC finalists. “He fell in love with all those guys and then met Coach Richt and it went from there,” Collins said. “The whole coaching staff has been great to Leonard and that was important to him.”

sounds like he has to tighten up on the academic side.

lab

6 foot 6 that's tall, the dawgs will feed him a few biscuits and make a DE out of him

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Yeah I'll be shocked if he doesn't shift to DE.