Debate Question????

Skipper

Banned
As we fished on Okeechobee last week we were constantly around fishermen in the Everstart tournament on the lake. At times, it got down right aggrivating when they brought in the helicopter and hovered over our heads for 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm not against tournament fishing. Fact is, I fish tournaments myself, but I wonder where they are headed with tournament fishing and will the sport as a whole be sucked into it.

Most professional sports have become a bastion of very overpaid (In my opinion) athletes who instead of being mentors to young people who look up to them are people I'd prefer my kids do not immitate. The fact is, nobody on this planet is worth 10 million per year to play baseball, football or basketball. The sports that were once sports have become rackets for money. Sponsorships, commercials, figurines, trinkets the whole 9 yard big top circus to part us with our money to pay them. Who can afford an NFL ticket or Baseball Ticket these days? The answer is of course not the majority of us. Even Nascar has seemingly lost it's sole in it's quest for money. Nolonger will good ole boys get to watch the Southern 500 in Darlington on Labor Day because California has a larger tv market. Gone are the hero days of Petty, Yarborough, and Allison, in is a new sport with more camera friendly and midwestern accented 20 some year olds.

The fisherman in the Pedigree boat (whoever he was) could not possibly have fished to the best of his ability with 2 camera boats a helicopter, 15 spectators, and an air boat with tournament officials on it all within a very few feet of his boat and frequently in the way of his fishing. The 2 camera boats frequently bumped into his boat as he worked the hydrilla bed.

Is that the price we can expect to pay for this newfound fame that ESPN and Op Bass have brought to the sport? Will bass fishing become a spectator sport rather than a participation sport? I know I'd 10 to 1 rather fish a tournament or fish to be fishing than watch one on TV, but there has to be an audience or else I guess even the pros would be fishing for peanuts like most of us in weekend wildcats or club tournaments.

What happens if the drive to "Live Televise" a bass tournament forces major tournaments off of public waters and onto small private bodies where people like Bill Dance film a television show? You have to know it's very expensive to dispatch helicopters, air boats, pontoons with crane cameras on them, bass boats with camera man and driver, and every other mode of transportation to follow an angler on the water. You know it might be pretty boring to watch on tv if something happened to the weather like the guys in the tournament had to fish the Monday after that wicked cold front came through and dropped the lake temps 10 degrees and air 40 degrees. Maybe the powers that be decide to only fish tournaments on certain weather conditions because of the drive for a tv quality picture.

Sure, most of us would like to make the money these guys make on the circuit, but which guys? Fact is, there are probably only 20 or so professional fishermen making money, the rest are in hock to their necks trying to make enough money to keep the bank from taking their house, boat and truck. The fact is, it costs big money to fish a pro tournament trail. I would venture a guess for every guy that makes it there are 300 that get a divorce, file bankruptcy and go home broke. Maybe with all this promotional business, fishing becomes the domain of 5 or 6 guys who own "Fishing Teams" (Something like Nascar) and hire fishermen to fish out of their boat dolled up with sponsor stickers.

Do we want a sport where fishermen are million dollar contracted athletes that entertain us on the television or ones that fish for a living and the guy with the biggest bag wins not necessarily the one who put a Bush Beer sticker on his boat.

Skipper

wildcats

original post mentioned something about a debate.....boys no debate here......these comments are right on the money :bounce:

dog1

Not only are they so tied to the money and prestige, seems a lot of the tourney fishers have lost their sense of decency.

Example: More than one time I've had these bass rockets pass by me wide open and so close that they have almost caused my boat to take on water. And I actually had a tournament fisherman on Lake Blackshear (Miller tournament) tell me and a buddy that we needed to get out of his way so he could bass fish, we was bream fishing. Needless to say I enlightened him a little.

I hope that all the tournament fishermen haven't turned into complete idiots. I used to bass fish, have had five bass boats over the years and I swear I don't believe I ever told someone to get out the way. I only fish for bream, crappie, and catfish now and enjoy fishing a lot more and meet some good people.

dog1

gabuckeye

It appears that we have a number of members on Woody's that are members of fishing and hunting teams. Hopefully we will hear their side too.

frankwright

I think that where major bass tournaments are going are healthy for the sport. Many of the innovations in tackle, boats,motors electronics and catch and release are all as a result of tournament fishing.

Who would have thought that ESPN,WalMart and other major sponsors would have jumped into bass fishing support with both feet.
Who would have thought that you would see camera boats filming the top pros during the entire tournament and letting you see every fish they catch or miss and how they did it.
The big money and the sponsors will keep the sport healthy and let it continue to grow and also give a group the power to try and prevent some of the negative things that can happen to our lakes and reservoirs.

For the negative side, I don't know how anybody can fish with 25 spectator boats close by, wired to a microphone, camera man in the back of the boat and helicopters overhead.

There is never any call for unsportsman like conduct or unsafe behavior no matter what is at stake.

I almost got run over once at Lanier and once at west Point by an over zealous pro wanna be. Those guys are the worst kind, they will cut in front of you to get to "their" spot and they think because they are fishing a big tournament, that this behavior is alright but it is not.

I try to be courteous and safe and actually most other fishermen do the same but it only takes a couple of bad experiences to make you think that everyone is the same.

Skipper

Banned
Frank, Don't get me wrong. I'm not against tournament fishing. I fish them myself and am well aware of the many good things that have been brought about by BASS, Op Bass, and tournament fishing in general. What I am saying is the quest to "greatly" increase the pots on these tournaments may possibly be leading to concessions on the fishing side of them that I'm not completely happy with.

When BASS forced the competitors to put a Bush Beer sign on their boats I could see trouble coming. I can see holding back some of the money on a tournament if they didn't have the sticker, but in Jimmy Houston's case when they forced him off of the tour because he felt like in his position as a deacon in the church it was wrong for him to promote beer. I could see then that things had taken a sharp turn in a direction I wasn't proud of.

One thing about the way BASS was set up originally is the Federation, that's the 400,000 or so members of the organization who don't necessarily fish the pro circuit is the leg of that organization that has done a lot of the good BASS has accomplished. Things like clubs getting together on a local level to solve a problem or clean up a lake.

I'm 100% sure that ESPN has no use for the Federation, would prefer the Federation go away, and will do what they can to kill the Federation. Example this year they are setting up regional BASS weekender tournament series's which the winner of gains a Classic Berth. You bet yer bootie that's the beginning of the end for clubs like the Tennessee Valley Bassmasters.

Is that all good or bad? What if the NWTF or DU decided to get rid of the chapters and just have banquets to raise money nationally?

I just see a lot of changes to this sport taking place that favor money instead of competition on the water amoung anglers. I can see them bringing in a camera boat and hanging back 150 feet minimum from the competitor and getting some shots for the tv show but to have all that garbage on top of each competitor out there is very much making it a made for tv show and not fishing. Anyone with any sense would know you don't have the best chance at success fishing in 5 feet of water with 30 boats and helicopters within casting distance of you. The helicopter was really bothering me. I was having to hold my hat on my head and catch stuff blowing around in our boat because of it. Of course it was hovering over me filming him. (We had been sitting there about 45 minutes before he got there with the enterage of followers)

I feel like the drive for tv success will ultimately change the sport to suit the tv people, and I don't know if that's in the best interest of competitive fishing.

Skipper