Deer Calls

RipperIII

If you can call a gobbler, then you can call a buck...primarily in the pre rut.
Less is more...and he will know exactly where you called from...the exact tree, or bush...don't ask me how I know...but it is FUN.

I also use a grunt, or bleat to calm startled deer, primarily doe...if they catch a little movement, or a little noise I'll hit a soft contact grunt...they usually settle down...witch sure beats the heck out of the old high tail, blowing all the way...

Rabun

, I have never heard a grunt…even in the neighborhood and there are tons of deer. I’ve been contemplating using a call…I have the can call, but given I’ve never heard any vocalization I’m reluctant to try for fear of messing things up. I have stopped deer with a grunt call and always have it handy when hunting.

RipperIII

, I have never heard a grunt…even in the neighborhood and there are tons of deer. I’ve been contemplating using a call…I have the can call, but given I’ve never heard any vocalization I’m reluctant to try for fear of messing things up. I have stopped deer with a grunt call and always have it handy when hunting.
There are several good YouTube videos showing both bucks and does vocalizing...watch those, NOT the folks "teaching" you how to grunt or bleat

Hoss

Heard this last weekend

Really soft. At first I wasn’t sure I heard it, but heard it a couple more and then a small buck stepped into the shooting lane. If I hadn’t been listing closely, I would have missed it and the deer had to be within 40 yards or less of me. Lesson is, if you are calling, keep it soft.

I did call a couple of times and shortly after that, a small 8 came out in the same shooting lane. It looked like he was looking. For whatever had made that call.

I have had other deer come to the call, but never a big buck. I pretty much always use the doe call.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've grunted in a couple over the years, also ran them off with it. Never had a lot of success, but there are a couple I probably wouldn't have killed without it. I have rattled in a couple bucks, too.

RipperIII

I just posted a new thread "chasing through Butts co."...turn your volume up.
Had a nice 8pt chase a doe across a creek by my stand, her spike fawn bringing up the rear.
My cam caught the spike as he flew past. But listen towards the end you can clearly hear the buck grunt loudly, then roar as he spun around to chase off the spike... I've never heard the buck roar in person until I witnessed this chase...pretty awesome

Stephen2110

It seems to me that when using a bleat can, it only draws in young bucks. I've never had a mature buck come to calling with the can.

I usually just blow on it, instead of turning it over. Gives me more control over the sound it makes.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I call with my natural voice. The times I’ll call are if I hear one grunting and can’t see it, hear a deer walking and can’t see it or seen a buck and either need a closer or a better look. I rarely do blind calling though. I’d guess I’ve called around 15 bucks into bow range this year that would have otherwise went the another direction. Been voice calling for over a decade now with excellent results.

01Foreman400

Staff member
It seems to me that when using a bleat can, it only draws in young bucks. I've never had a mature buck come to calling with the can.

I usually just blow on it, instead of turning it over. Gives me more control over the sound it makes.
Funny you mention the The Can. I’ve had it work before on a big mature 10 pointer and a mature 7 pointer years ago. Then went several years without a deer even paying attention to it. I don’t even carry it now. The grunt call and snort wheeze are more effective for me.

Buckstop

Hear bucks grunt a few times every year. I never blind call, but keep a grunt call ready to try to turn one I’m interested in thats going away or out of range. Has worked as a hail mary on a few occasions. Not had luck with a can but honestly not given it a fair try.

BigBass123

Went ahead and picked up a grunt call Friday and gave it a try this weekend (seasons still open in some of Florida).

Spooked 2 does yesterday while on the ground and gave the call a try just to see how they’d react. Came right back around and stood about 20 yards away for 4-5 minutes away.

Tried blind calling from the stand, had a spike come in within 2-3 minutes of me using it. He hung out for a couple of minutes before tucking back into the swamp. Think he was too small to be legal (10” spike length), but first buck I’ve seen on this WMA.

I was setup on high ground between 3 swamp heads, scrape about 75 yards away, and a dozen game trails intersecting pretty close to the main trail. Pretty promising location so he may have been passing through anyways but if nothing else the call didn’t hurt.