Deer Feed

HTRDNCK

I am looking for recomendations on deer feed. Corn is through the roof and has reached a point where it is high as most high protien feeds. I just figure if I am going to spend the money, might as well buy the feed for better nutrition for the same money.

gadeerwoman

anything from goat chow, horse sweet feed, or the blends specially for deer will work. I like purina deer chow because the raccoons and possum don't like it much. But you'll probably need to mix corn and feed 50/50 for the first few weeks to get them eating regularly. You'll lose a lot of the corn and sweet based feeds to other critters too.

hunter_58

is the deer feed that you'll are using a sweet feed ????

Just 1 More

I try to stay away from sweet feeds.. especially if it's for horses.. Horses and deer have very different digestive systems and anything hores feed related is not good for deer.
And if you have any hogs anywhere near your property.. you'll have a full house once they smell the sweet feed.
I keep telling y'all.. go to Tractor Supply and get their Nutrisource Deer chow.. it's 20% protien and only $9.00 bag

338mag

I try to stay away from sweet feeds.. especially if it's for horses.. Horses and deer have very different digestive systems and anything hores feed related is not good for deer.
And if you have any hogs anywhere near your property.. you'll have a full house once they smell the sweet feed.
I keep telling y'all.. go to Tractor Supply and get their Nutrisource Deer chow.. it's 20% protien and only $9.00 bag

i got 6 bags last week,looks good and $ is great.hope deer like it to.

Just 1 More

i got 6 bags last week,looks good and $ is great.hope deer like it to.

They do.. I mix mine 2 bags of corn to 1 bag of high pro feed to start with than 2 bags of high pro to 1 bag of corn.. I always like to leave a little corn in the mix

Attachments

• ICAM0004RS.jpg
    ICAM0004RS.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,150

hunter_58

just 1 more;
On your feeder, How much distance between the roof and ground. and is it high enough for bucks with velvet???????

Just 1 More

just 1 more;
On your feeder, How much distance between the roof and ground. and is it high enough for bucks with velvet???????

Only about 3' between the trough and the roof... maybe a little less.. I would definitly go with more height next ones I build,, but that means you have to make the roof overhang bigger all the way around to keep the feed dry.
With any of the high pro pelletized deer feed, it is very important to keep it dry, or it turns to mush and they will not touch it.

Hogguide

Banned
DeerCamSurvey894.jpg

7-31-2006-291.jpg

7-31-2006-048-1.jpg

7-31-2006-028.jpg

7-31-2006-339.jpg

We feed them a 28% Protein Pellet (The Highest Available Protein on the market) from the best designed feeders on the market. The deer seem to patiently wait in line until it is their turn to eat.

It seems to be working. One deer was killed last year that weighed 270# Live weight. That is an incredible weight for a whitetail deer in Georgia.
These are all FREE Ranging deer here in Georgia. Look at the body sizes on some of these deer.

NOW is the time to be feeding your deer herd. This is when they need it the most regardless of whose feed that you choose.
Hogguide

hunter_58

Hogguide; WOW those are very good weights. Do you or Have you ever thought about parasites in deer.
it seems that some control of these would help them. goat worming blocks maybe ???? Im just thinking out loud what do you think?

Just 1 More

Hogguide; WOW those are very good weights. Do you or Have you ever thought about parasites in deer.
it seems that some control of these would help them. goat worming blocks maybe ???? Im just thinking out loud what do you think?

I know i'm not Hogguide.. but I wanted to ask,, Is there a problem with parasites in deer? I have not seen anything written recently about the topic.. just curious where you're coming from.

hunter_58

I don't know either. but in farming most all animals are treated for Harmful parasites to increase health and weight gain, so I'm thinking may work for deer??????? one person told me he uses the deworm blocks for goats, for his deer, but i cant find any research to support it . I would hate to use something that would harm the deer.

addictedtodeer

Boy I'd like to know the answer to this worming question too!
Growing up on a farm we regularly checked for worms, and "pre-treated" them. Can't see what the harm would be?
But would love to hear from more knowledgeable people.

Stingray23

We put our trough feeders out yesterday. We put one bag of deer feed and one bag of corn to each feeder. We used a variety of feeds ranging from Purina Deer Chow to feed soybeans to Deer Protein pellets put out by Southern States, gonna see which has the most success.

Next time we go to fill up the feeders we'll probably go to 1/2 bag of corn per feeder with the intent being to ween them off the corn.

oochee hunter

Stingray

We use the rainshed pellets from sou. states. Our deer eat them very well. Please let us know which product does best for you. Also, how much are you paying for the sou. states pellets? Thanks