Deer hunting tips needed?

Adrienne224

Ask the average person to name an audio manufacturer and the likely responses might be Sony, Pioneer or Panasonic. In a nutshell, that's the problem facing smaller vendors: How do they make themselves known in a world dominated by multibillion-dollar conglomerates.

Like independent retailers, small audio and video manufacturers have to develop special survival skills to compete in today's consumer electronics marketplace The headaches manufacturers face and the solutions they come up with trying to make their products outshine similar ones from the big guns are quite far ranging.
See Also:
best car speakers, best car speakers in the world

Their obstacles range from not having the financial ability to advertise on a very high level to making certain retailers give their products their fair share of shelf space.
ssMpuQQ.jpg

"It's the availability of technology. Sony and Toshiba are the creators and we have to wait for them to satiate their customers before we can get our hands on it." said Michael Bartlett, vice president and general manager of Rotel of America, which makes home audio products like CD players and tuners.

The challenge facing Mission Loudspeakers is public awareness It has a large research and development department and is able to come out with leading edge merchandise, but the firm is not that well known. Although Mission is one of the largest speaker manufacturers in the United Kingdom and Europe, it is just starting to make its presence felt in the U.S., said Howard Pleet, Mission's president. Big companies generally have big bucks to spend in placing their product's name in front of the public.

"The biggest problem is the domestic manufacturers have a lot more money to spend on marketing, both for advertising and in-store displays," said Pleet.

Joe Fusco, director of sales for Sansui U.S.A. Inc., said it is important for any manufacturer to obtain as much public exposure as possible, but the larger firms have the financial resources to accomplish this on a large scale.

Sansui's angle to compensate for this shortcoming is to take advantage of its the name recognition factor. It has found that older people are still familiar with its name. Twenty years ago Sansui was once one of the most recognized names in the industry 20 years ago, Sansui had fallen on rough times in the late 1970s and 1980s and is now in the process of rebuilding itself Currently, the company produces a wide range of car and home audio products.

"It's a very difficult situation. Not only do consumers not always know it [the Sansui name], but it's hard to get the retailer to push it," said Fuso.

Larry Lurie, vice president for AudioSouce Inc., a maker of audio systems and loudspeakers, agreed with Fusco in part saying it is sometimes hard to convince the sales staff to give a hard sales pitch for a less well-known product. This is because the "perceived credibility" of a Sony or Kenwood product is often higher than a second tier vendor's product.
For more information: What are The Speaker Sizes in My Car | Speaker Size for My Car

"This is not at the buying office level, but at the sales floor level," Lurie said. "Many people feel if it has a well known name it is a better value." Lurie believes these vendors have to put more, into their products, yet maintain competitive price levels, so the consumer is getting more for his dollar.
VwirRqw.jpg

One of these "little extras" AudioSource offers is the offset front baffle in the company's Project One speakers that ensure proper time/phase alignment for correct sound imaging.

Sansui also uses this approach. Instead of having a CD player that is similar to one made by Sony or Pioneer and comes in at the same price, Sansui will still hit the price point, but its CD player will have several extra features, such as a full-featured remote control, said Fusco. "We add value at a price point," he said.
Then there is the story of the manufactures well established in other fields trying to break into the audio business. Canon of instance, is well known for its copiers and camcorders, but it has to fight hard to gain shelf space for its rookie loudspeaker line.

Richard Booth, Canon's ad manager said the sheer number of speaker brands on the market, which Canon believes numbers about 600, make it tough, but the company's familiar name does help.

"We are a latecomer. However, we have some strengths, like the Canon name and the unique design of our speaker," said Booth. "Consumers already perceive Canon products as high quality." Canon came out with its first speakers in March 1994 and recently introduced several new products.
As with most businesses, the big players have the clout and get the shelf space.

To get in the door, Lurie has his sales people try to help dealers find space m stores. For example, if the audio section is packed, there may be room in the video section for a speaker.

Like the small retailer, the small vendor also must sell upclose and personal service.

For Rotel this means not having layer upon layer of corporate bureaucracy that the retailer needs to get through in order to speak to someone in authority.

"If you have a problem, call me," said Bartlett. "I'm the boss here, and I'll look after it."
This is particularly true for small retailers, with whom there is an almost special kinship.
"We want to be like them," Bartlett said. "Be more responsive. I have the time to spend with the customer and want to build a relationship.

We don't go in and beat them up saying you have to take our program. Instead we do the opposite. We bring in the retailer and show them what we have."
Bartlett believes the retailer will be impressed enough to convey the enthusiasm to the store's customers. This is all Rotel wants. The company's belief is that the consumer will buy the better product, regardless of the name stamped on its front panel. The most important task and most difficult task is getting that initial exposure
Sansui turn its small market share into a virtue. Because its products are not carried by every dealer, Fusco said, the company tries to position its merchandise as something the dealer can point to as special.

"Our dealers don't have to compete with every other retailer selling Sansui because we are not offered in every store," he said.

And this is what retailers want. Michael Blumberg, senior vice president for 21-store chain Sound Advice, said while it is very difficult to choose which of the smaller companies to carry, it is important to have these products. "You need to have a good mix and it helps to differentiate us from the others," he said.

Pleet said Mission offers training intended to turn the dealer's staff not only into better sellers of Mission's products, but into better salespeople overall.

Selling to the retailer is only the first hurdle the next challenge is getting the average consumer interested in the products.

Most smaller companies lack the funding necessary for extensive consumer ad programs, so many vendors concentrate on having products reviewed in hobbyist books or Consumer Reports magazine. Since consumers trust what the product reviewers say, a positive analysis can do wonders for a product.

"The most important thing, we can do is get as many reviews as possible. This reinforces to American consumers the brand name," said Pleet.

This also makes the salesperson's job easier because the customer can come in pre-sold on a product, said Fusco.

Canon believes having its speakers demonstrated in a home theater environment is the key to making a sale. Booth said it is very difficult to convince its dealers to do this, again mainly due to space problems.
Related article:
Best 6.5 speakers, best 6.5 car speakers in the world

For AudioSource it's the little things that, make the difference. "We have to pay attention to the details, the product's finish, the packaging. We don't have the luxury to not do this," Lurie concluded.

Last edited:

Blackston

Ya can't kill him on the couch or with your nose in a phone Experience is the greatest instructor go make some mistakes I started deer hunting out a stand 3 seasons ago first year small doe next year a spike ,a six point and a doe runnin up my driveway (I guess ya can kill him from the couch lol !!! ) last year a doe and my best buck a 225 # with 5 points on one side other side broke off I named him heartbreak But plenty of good info on this forum have fun be there when they are there

Be still. Scent control. Shot them in the neck. Never give up even if you think you missed look for blood. Watch the direction he travels when you shoot him. Does he run tail up or tail down. This ain't TV. What you see on tv is not what you get in real life. Be quiet. I wore a gshock watch that alarmed at 5 pm everyday. I can not hear. It took me about two seasons and one day I had the watch up next to my ear and I heard the alarm. Had only killed deer in the morning. Threw that watch away and killed a big one the next day at 5:05 Pm

oldfella1962

You know that Frank Sinatra song "My Way?" That's how I approach it - I do it my way. It's how you hunt, not what you kill. I choose traditional archery from the ground on public land. The odds are stacked against me, and that's how I like it. Whenever I tell people about my deer encounters they say "dude! If you were in a tree stand/had a crossbow you would have nailed that deer!" it increases my confidence because I know my skill level is on point because I am indeed able to get just that close to deer but choose to pass up shots they would love to have.

But as for specifics: get your rear end off the couch. If you can't hunt your favorite spot, hunt another spot. Scent control boils down to one word - vanilla. Don't silhouette yourself against the sky (what's behind you is very important!) and try to keep something with fluttering leaves behind you. This is harder in late season, but early season it's easier - you can get away with more movement if what you blend in with is moving too. Camo clothing is great, but the human face must be broken up. A predator face (human, dog, coyote, anything with forward facing eyes) is the only "deal breaker". Stay very mobile - deer can't pattern something they only see one time, right? They forget quickly, but with enough repetition they sure will figure something out. Water - it provides cover, food, water, and shelter all year long 24/7 here in Georgia. Deer might be other places temporarily, but they will be near water guaranteed.

Jack Ryan

Tie a white thread on the end of your gun.

Have your woman jump your gun in the morning before you leave on opening day.

burkecountydeer

do not waiste your time hunting so so spots. Hunt where you KNOW they are at. Use the BEST access points and stand location according to the wind You are hunting . everything els are gimmicks . if you do this you will kill deer .:cheers:

Whatever you THINK is going to happen wont, and what you KNOW cant happen will

shdw633

If I give you all my tips then you won't want to read my book when I get around to writing it. :type:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Read up on what bow hunters do. If you can be a successful bow hunter gun hunting will be a breeze.

Timbo85

Make sure you tell everybody at the 7 11 what you see , where and what time also tell em where you see the most tracks crossing the dirt rds , and make sure everybody knowswhat days you can't hunt that week , drink 2 bottles of tinks every day to keep it in your system, make sure you have the newest top dolla camo that comes out every month , keep the sun in your face and wind to your back

35 Whelen

Hunt all day. Comfort is the key to being able to sit all day, bring everything you need to stay comfortable, pack a lunch, snacks, water, coffee, extra clothes, cough drops, etc. Killed quite a few deer mid day when most hunters are not in the woods but back at camp.

ROLLTIDE 33

HUNT THE WIND I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH and what I mean by this is make sure the wind is blowing from the deer to you not from you to the deer. This seems pretty simple but most people will hunt a stand and pay no attention to wind directions. You will find the most successful hunters always stay aware of the wind. Also keep a windicator on you at all times you can buy these at Walmart so you can check the wind even when your in the stand. You will be suprised how the wind will blow in certian spots.

Shep23

Scent control and being where the deer are is key I would get me a couple of trails cam put them on corn or paw marks to find out where your deer are then go from there

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

Find natural funnels and choke points and control your scent. Be patient and everything else will fall into place.