Deer scents

Ugahunter2013

I have always wondered about the deer scents that are becoming more and more common. Not necessarily Tinks, but more of the small market companies. Do you think they use actual deer pee or something synthetic? There is company whose product I use and the smell is very sweet, much different than what I remember the stink of Tinks 69 being. The product works real well…I just don’t see how “smaller” companies would be able to buy large quantities of actual deer pee like a Tinks could. I would assume that would be very $$$. I remember reading on here some while back where folks would use vanilla extract as a scent attractant. I almost wonder if vanilla may be in them and that is the “sweet” smell it has. What do y’all think?

Stainlessman

My nephew showed my photos last season of one of the scent dripper things you hang up eight feet of so and it drips a few drops every hour or so. Sure enough two different bucks smelling and pawing the ground under the dripper.

Hillbilly stalker

Several states have made it illegal to use anything but synthetic urine. South Carolina being one of them. Dan Fitzgerald has been selling “ vanilla killa” for over 30 years that I know of. Some would argue it is simply vanilla extract. Some scents arouse curiosity in deer, they are a lot less spooky at night. Black anise will draw as many nosey deer as anything sold in the hunting aisle. Smells like black licerice. The does respond to peanut butter good also.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
If you have scrapes on the ground. Bucks in the area. Why would u want to buy something that may work or may not. Each area is different with different results. I’ve never used it. My wife does. But she sprays down with the scent killers. All that. I do wash with a bar of soap that’s a scent killer. Cause that’s what’s in the shower durning hunting season.
A deers nose is his defense. Big bucks that have been hunted in heavy hunted areas( leases clubs) survives by his nose and ears. The rut is his weakness!
I’ve made my living (as to say) killing nature bucks by hunting trails n the woods. I line to find where several trails from different areas come together then branch back out. Bottle necks. Most these places I just kick the leaves back from a tree and sit on the ground. Carry one them seat pads. Some places I have a chair there. I don’t worry about cover around but natural. May pile blown down debris there. I enjoy the woods. And it’s critters. Big white oaks don’t hurt sitting around either. ?
Anyway do what you like and there is no magical potion that makes them run u over other than a hot doe being chased.
I’ve had big bucks just several feet from me in a Instant durning this. It seems he don’t even pay me one bit of Attention while in this heated chase. I’ve had them get by me only to turn around a charge back by.
I’ve had does creep by only to see a mature buck creeping by 1/2 hour or longer later.
Anyway them scent may work or it may just put them in the next county. No telling what one will do on any given day.
Good luck hunt safe.

Latest posts